#41 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 13 October 2021 - 11:12 AM

Love the name. And always nice to grab a nice prospect internationally. Turge does well there.

#42 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,072 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 11:18 AM

https://247sports.co...ball-173002863/

Additional info.

#43 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,892 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 13 October 2021 - 11:25 AM

There's a joke about the Swedish chef from the Muppets with Jim Henson being a UMD alum in here somewhere, give me a minute

she/her

#44 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,935 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 12:08 PM

Late but an acceptable get
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#45 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 October 2021 - 07:28 PM

Nice to see them getting on the board with a 22 recruit.  

@mikeghg

#46 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,892 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 31 December 2021 - 05:45 PM

Pretty inevitable with the coaching change but Bobi Klintman has officially decommitted

https://twitter.com/...045995632537601

• Mike B likes this

she/her

#47 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 16 January 2022 - 09:57 PM

Junior college guard Cashius McNeilly has committed to Maryland. He spent a year at Texas A&M in 2019, opted out of the 2020 season, and has been playing at the JuCo level this year. He was rated as a 3-star recruit out of high school in Canada.
@BSLZackKiesel

#48 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,935 posts

Posted 16 January 2022 - 10:27 PM

How did...But why would... Who was the one....Nevermind

#49 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,072 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 09:58 AM

Recruiting can be strange, but this is just hard to explain. 

#50 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,754 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 10:02 AM

Stuff on the free side of the 247 sports site says Greg Manning was the primary recruiter and that the Terps had been recruiting him for a while.

Weird that a player would commit knowing the upheaval coming, but it's also probable that Greg Manning expects to return to his non-coaching job with the Terps next season and would be here regardless of who the next coaching hire is.  Or at least can sell that to a recruit.  If the kid likes Maryland for the school and likes Greg who will likely be here next season (though not as a coach), then it makes more sense.  Also it's not like he signed a LOI, he can change him mind in March or April if he likes.

https://247sports.co...illy-180796369/

#51 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 January 2022 - 10:02 AM

How did...But why would... Who was the one....Nevermind

Had the same thought when I saw it and just let it go… whatever. You have to have a roster next year, can’t have the cupboard completely bare. There will be turnover, and commits who decommit, etc. but yeah, who is doing the recruiting? And what are you selling them on lol?

#52 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,754 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 10:03 AM

Or it's just that huge Maryland-Canada pipeline that Justin Jackson started!

#53 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,072 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 10:05 AM

Stuff on the free side of the 247 sports site says Greg Manning was the primary recruiter and that the Terps had been recruiting him for a while.

Weird that a player would commit knowing the upheaval coming, but it's also probable that Greg Manning expects to return to his non-coaching job with the Terps next season and would be here regardless of who the next coaching hire is.  Or at least can sell that to a recruit.  If the kid likes Maryland for the school and likes Greg who will likely be here next season (though not as a coach), then it makes more sense.  Also it's not like he signed a LOI, he can change him mind in March or April if he likes.

https://247sports.co...illy-180796369/

Yeah I saw that.  I'm thinking more from the player perspective.  When Manning & Manning are selling you on MD; isn't the logical question... "Yeah, but Danny there is 0% chance you are going to be the HC, and Greg... what's the chance the new HC is going to want to retain you?" 

Interesting all the same. 

Maybe if you are Greg Manning you figure if you can land this commit, it shows something to whoever gets the job.

#54 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,754 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 10:24 AM

Yeah I saw that.  I'm thinking more from the player perspective.  When Manning & Manning are selling you on MD; isn't the logical question... "Yeah, but Danny there is 0% chance you are going to be the HC, and Greg... what's the chance the new HC is going to want to retain you?" 

Interesting all the same. 

Maybe if you are Greg Manning you figure if you can land this commit, it shows something to whoever gets the job.

My assumption is Greg goes back to recruiting coordinator or player personnel or whatever his job title was before getting the mid-season promotion after Turgeon left.  So he'll be here, or is much more likely to stay through a coaching change than an assistant coach would be.

I'd be surprised if they sold Danny Manning as the head coach next season and that's why the kid signed.  But if they did, then obviously it would just be a tentative commitment that will change as soon as Danny is let go officially.

#55 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,072 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 10:32 AM

My assumption is Greg goes back to recruiting coordinator or player personnel or whatever his job title was before getting the mid-season promotion after Turgeon left.  So he'll be here, or is much more likely to stay through a coaching change than an assistant coach would be.

I'd be surprised if they sold Danny Manning as the head coach next season and that's why the kid signed.  But if they did, then obviously it would just be a tentative commitment that will change as soon as Danny is let go officially.

Yeah, I guess that makes sense...

Figure the new Coach is in place by April 1st.

New Coach will have to put together his staff, and build a roster. 

Maybe G. Manning is likely to be retained for at-least a year - if for nothing else but the need for some continuity. 

- Ayala, Fatts, Green, Wright are gone. 
- Will be looking for decisions from Reese, Scott, Hart, Wahab, Martinez

- And to a lesser extent Cornish, Dockery, Dziuba, Revaz, and now McNeilly

Even if all 10 of those guys returned, you'd have 3 scholarships available. 
Have to expect at-least 3 more scholarships will open up. 

So the new Coach will be looking to fill out his staff, and probably looking to add 6 guys in the Portal...     yeah, maybe G. Manning does feel good about his chances of staying on.

#56 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 17 January 2022 - 01:11 PM

Yeah, I guess that makes sense...

Figure the new Coach is in place by April 1st.

New Coach will have to put together his staff, and build a roster. 

Maybe G. Manning is likely to be retained for at-least a year - if for nothing else but the need for some continuity. 

- Ayala, Fatts, Green, Wright are gone. 
- Will be looking for decisions from Reese, Scott, Hart, Wahab, Martinez

- And to a lesser extent Cornish, Dockery, Dziuba, Revaz, and now McNeilly

Even if all 10 of those guys returned, you'd have 3 scholarships available. 
Have to expect at-least 3 more scholarships will open up. 

So the new Coach will be looking to fill out his staff, and probably looking to add 6 guys in the Portal...     yeah, maybe G. Manning does feel good about his chances of staying on.

I think, we will see almost a completely different Maryland team in 22-23.  With the portal near wide open, I am thinking not many return.

It is a lost cause, but I would like to see what Dockery, Cornish and other can do.

@mikeghg

#57 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 17 January 2022 - 01:14 PM

Junior college guard Cashius McNeilly has committed to Maryland. He spent a year at Texas A&M in 2019, opted out of the 2020 season, and has been playing at the JuCo level this year. He was rated as a 3-star recruit out of high school in Canada.

My son told me, that Maryland got a commit.  My first question, are you sure it wasn't the Ladies team?

I did not expect any commits for the Mens team.

@mikeghg

#58 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 17 January 2022 - 01:15 PM

Or it's just that huge Maryland-Canada pipeline that Justin Jackson started!

It must have gotten jammed up for awhile.

@mikeghg

#59 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 20 March 2022 - 01:49 PM

4-star F Tyrell Ward (DeMatha) has requested a release from his NLI with Xavier. He’ll become a top local target for Willard, along with 3-star F Noah Batchelor (IMG) and 3-star G Bryce Lindsay (St. Frances).
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#60 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,935 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 02:13 PM

Oh boy. 3 star bball recruits!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users