#22 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 08 October 2021 - 07:53 AM

5-star F Cam Whitmore commits to Villanova. Turgeon loses out on another local recruit.

I think the time is up for the great coach.

@mikeghg

#23 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 October 2021 - 08:03 AM

I think the time is up for the great coach.

I think you had made the comment a few weeks back about how he will likely just build through the transfer portal - I think now, that's 100%. Kids and their teams are more intelligent than they get credit for with selecting their schools, particularly at Maryland's level. They know the situation here and aren't signing up for 3-5 years with someone who can't get it done, and who the school still loves. I mean, what does it say to the kids out there considering Maryland, that they are seemingly perfectly content with such mediocrity? Why would you want to be apart of that, unless you yourself are mediocre.

• Mike B likes this

#24 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 08 October 2021 - 08:12 AM

My passion for MD basketball is probably at it's lowest point since I started following (Joe Smith era).  I pretty much only stay engaged because of my son at this point.  Here's to another season of Not Bad basketball, bubble watches, and early tournament exits.

• BobPhelan, Mashed Potatoes, Mike B and 1 other like this

#25 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 08 October 2021 - 08:26 AM

My passion for MD basketball is probably at it's lowest point since I started following (Joe Smith era). I pretty much only stay engaged because of my son at this point. Here's to another season of Not Bad basketball, bubble watches, and early tournament exits.

Almost made a similar post but to be fair Ive become more apathetic towards sports in general. Still, if there was more to be excited about Id be more invested.

• Mashed Potatoes likes this

#26 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 08 October 2021 - 11:19 AM

My passion for MD basketball is probably at it's lowest point since I started following (Joe Smith era).  I pretty much only stay engaged because of my son at this point.  Here's to another season of Not Bad basketball, bubble watches, and early tournament exits.

I go back to the McMillan, Elmore, Lucas days, and while I still get invested in the games, I manage my expectations.

@mikeghg

#27 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 08 October 2021 - 11:20 AM

I think you had made the comment a few weeks back about how he will likely just build through the transfer portal - I think now, that's 100%. Kids and their teams are more intelligent than they get credit for with selecting their schools, particularly at Maryland's level. They know the situation here and aren't signing up for 3-5 years with someone who can't get it done, and who the school still loves. I mean, what does it say to the kids out there considering Maryland, that they are seemingly perfectly content with such mediocrity? Why would you want to be apart of that, unless you yourself are mediocre.

I did and I agree it is bad for the program.  I never really ask for a coaches head, but it is time for Mark to pursue other endeavors.

@mikeghg

#28 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 09 October 2021 - 02:03 PM

Wait, why are we saying that the 2021 season is going to be bad because we missed on a 2022 recruit? That makes no sense. On top of that there are some professional analysts out there that think we have a legit shot at a final 4 this year. If there ever were a season to get excited it's the upcoming one.

#29 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,435 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 09 October 2021 - 02:23 PM

Wait, why are we saying that the 2021 season is going to be bad because we missed on a 2022 recruit? That makes no sense. On top of that there are some professional analysts out there that think we have a legit shot at a final 4 this year. If there ever were a season to get excited it's the upcoming one.

2 words: Mark. Turgeon.

• BSLZackKiesel and BaltBird 24 like this

#30 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 October 2021 - 02:25 PM

Cute.
  • BaltBird 24 likes this

#31 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 09 October 2021 - 05:10 PM

2 words: Mark. Turgeon.

Ok, I get the argument that Turgeon can't lead a team to the promised land, so we can't get excited about the team no matter what. But I guess, in a thread about recruiting in particular, that doesn't seem very relevant. He put together a good 2021 squad. If you don't think he can do anything with that (and I expect him to underachieve as well) that's fair.

#32 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,593 posts

Posted 09 October 2021 - 05:30 PM

Not to hijack the thread, but....

Turgeon may be a terrible in game coach, but you can't argue that he's been able to assemble a much better talent pool than anything GW brought to MD after he won his national championship. Let's not pretend like GW left the program in peak position when he rolled out abruptly in 2011.

Has it worked out? Not exactly, but the quality of talent has been there for the most part. For all the flack Turgeon gets, which is rightly deserved, at least he hasn't taken us into a season with David Neal as our starting center.
  • SouthRider likes this

#33 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 09 October 2021 - 05:42 PM

Not to hijack the thread, but....

Turgeon may be a terrible in game coach, but you can't argue that he's been able to assemble a much better talent pool than anything GW brought to MD after he won his national championship. Let's not pretend like GW left the program in peak position when he rolled out abruptly in 2011.

Has it worked out? Not exactly, but the quality of talent has been there for the most part. For all the flack Turgeon gets, which is rightly deserved, at least he hasn't taken us into a season with David Neal as our starting center.

I think 2020 was pretty bad in terms of roster construction but he also coached the hell out of that team. By far his best coaching job in his career. I wish he could put it all together and coach like that when he doesn't have the wackiest roster in the conference. I'm not terribly hopeful, but I guess we'll see what happens.

#34 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,593 posts

Posted 09 October 2021 - 05:50 PM

I think 2020 was pretty bad in terms of roster construction but he also coached the hell out of that team. By far his best coaching job in his career. I wish he could put it all together and coach like that when he doesn't have the wackiest roster in the conference. I'm not terribly hopeful, but I guess we'll see what happens.

I'd argue that team still had way more talent than a GW late career team.... Cowan, Jalen Smith, Wiggins were all potential NBA talents plus a good supporting cast with guys like Morsell, Ayala, Scott.

Would've been nice to see that team in the tournament even if another 2nd round or sweet 16 exit.

#35 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 October 2021 - 05:52 PM

Ok, I get the argument that Turgeon can't lead a team to the promised land, so we can't get excited about the team no matter what. But I guess, in a thread about recruiting in particular, that doesn't seem very relevant. He put together a good 2021 squad. If you don't think he can do anything with that (and I expect him to underachieve as well) that's fair.

Because the good prospects don't really care about your pre-season ranking, they care about the final ranking, and about how they are being developed for professional basketball.

#36 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,593 posts

Posted 09 October 2021 - 06:48 PM

Because the good prospects don't really care about your pre-season ranking, they care about the final ranking, and about how they are being developed for professional basketball.

I'd argue that very few care about pre season or final rankings anymore and Turge has done a pretty good job getting his guys some big money professional contracts of late....

#37 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 09 October 2021 - 07:20 PM

I'd argue that team still had way more talent than a GW late career team.... Cowan, Jalen Smith, Wiggins were all potential NBA talents plus a good supporting cast with guys like Morsell, Ayala, Scott.

Would've been nice to see that team in the tournament even if another 2nd round or sweet 16 exit.

Wait, that was 2019. 2020 was the 4 guards and Donta Scott team.

#38 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,593 posts

Posted 09 October 2021 - 07:34 PM

Wait, that was 2019. 2020 was the 4 guards and Donta Scott team.

That roster was rough. At least Scott had a little occasional help from Hamilton and the not so good Galin Smith. Even though they finished under .500 in the B10, I guess it was a solid job by Turgeon to get that bunch into the NCAAs and win a game.

#39 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,342 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 09 October 2021 - 07:52 PM

Turgeon typically overperforms when expectations are low and underperforms when expectations are high. So most seasons wind up just being painfully mediocre regardless of preseason hype (or lack thereof).
  • Mike B likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#40 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,342 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 13 October 2021 - 11:12 AM

4-star F Bobi Klintman (Sweden) commits to Maryland.
@BSLZackKiesel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=