2020 Game 3: 9/28 Kansas City 8:15PM

• Please log in to reply
641 replies to this topic

#21 Huddle It Up Films

Huddle It Up Films
  • Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 06:40 PM

This was actually a test video I did before I launched my youtube channel. It's more relevant now that we're missing Tavon and even Earl. It's not fancy but it's a breakdown of Averett matched up primarily on Parker & Williams from the opener last year.

• Mike B and GabeFerguson like this

#22 Huddle It Up Films

Huddle It Up Films
  • Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 09:22 PM

To Don's point, Queen's range in his drops does really help both with quick slants and Kelce's go to areas of the field. I want to see Jimmy take responsibilities on Kelce during money downs especially. I think he gives us the best chance when it's man vs man unless we use Humphrey.

I can understand that people view this as not very meaningful because the playoffs is what matters to this team this year. But I think a big win would be meaningful. It's a two horse race in the AFC imo. There may be some fans in the stands come January. Only one team gets a bye this year. And if we play our A game and KC can't keep up, that would be a big boost for our inner confidence. Knowing you can do it vs already doing it. 

We can blow this team out if we maintain an early lead. It's all about game script for me. Let's shock the hell out of them.

Also I hope Harbaugh doesn't go for two this time if we score first. Let's act like we're not the underdog! 4th downs sure but not after starting the game with a TD.

• Mike B likes this

#23 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,430 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 07:41 AM

Balt Sun: Ravens film study: The two questions that could decide Monday’s showdown vs. the Chiefs

#24 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 12:05 PM

I rewatched the Chiefs on defense against the Chargers, and this team is just not all that good at stopping the run. They are lucky that Herbert through a ridiculous interception "layup" to them to get them back in that game. What he was doing on that play, I still don't know...

https://twitter.com/...814569582723079

Ok, so I looked more closely, actually a good play design and something the Ravens should look to do with Andrews. Herbert just botches this by underthrowing his man right into double coverage. 

#25 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,299 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 12:00 PM

Romo kept highlighting KC's favorite formation and route combo. They love to line up in a spread single back. With Hill in the slot running a post/fade option route. Kelce on the other side singled up, on his own seam/post/hitch option route. The WR outside of Hill runs a hitch/out option route. And have the back go to the flat on Kelce's side. It seems so simple, but watching Kelce and Hill run it puts so much stress on the defense. You see two guys respecting those two alone. Usually something big opens up for the WR or the RB. The key is getting early pressure and getting Mahomes before he can make the read. Easier said than done.

#26 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 24 September 2020 - 04:03 PM

Madubuike was practicing today. I think there is a good chance he makes his Ravens debut on MNF.

@gabefergy

#27 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,655 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 24 September 2020 - 04:33 PM

Madubuike was practicing today. I think there is a good chance he makes his Ravens debut on MNF.

The way the Ravens have been rotating linerman, he probably needs to be able to play 10-12 snaps, to help pressure Mahomes.

@mikeghg

#28 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 24 September 2020 - 04:43 PM

The way the Ravens have been rotating linerman, he probably needs to be able to play 10-12 snaps, to help pressure Mahomes.

Yeah, I think it will be 20 max, probably more like 10-15 snaps. I imagine if he plays those snaps will largely be in obvious pass-rush situations where he can help immediately.

@gabefergy

#29 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 05:11 PM

Yeah, I think it will be 20 max, probably more like 10-15 snaps. I imagine if he plays those snaps will largely be in obvious pass-rush situations where he can help immediately.

In obvious passing situations, do you think Madubuike represents an upgrade over Judon, Campbell, Wolfe, McPhee, Bowser? 

Which guy would you replace? I really like McPhee's ability to stunt and bring additional deception and don't think Madubuike is going to add over any of those guys. Even replacing Ward with McPhee, I'm not sold Madubuike is going to bring more value. 

So maybe if Campbell or Wolfe need a breather. But in those obvious situations, I think I'm leaning on the 5 above for some combination of rush right now. 

Also last week Williams had 25 snaps. Ellis and Washington had 10 and 3 respectively. Only 38 total DL snaps. So I think any notion that Madubuike is going to get more than 20 would imply the Ravens are getting beat up and down the field consistently and long drives but quickly. 

Huge fan of the Madubuike pick, think expectations for his first game, particularly a Chiefs game off injury are a little high, though. 

#30 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 24 September 2020 - 05:23 PM

In obvious passing situations, do you think Madubuike represents an upgrade over Judon, Campbell, Wolfe, McPhee, Bowser? 

Which guy would you replace? I really like McPhee's ability to stunt and bring additional deception and don't think Madubuike is going to add over any of those guys. Even replacing Ward with McPhee, I'm not sold Madubuike is going to bring more value. 

So maybe if Campbell or Wolfe need a breather. But in those obvious situations, I think I'm leaning on the 5 above for some combination of rush right now. 

Also last week Williams had 25 snaps. Ellis and Washington had 10 and 3 respectively. Only 38 total DL snaps. So I think any notion that Madubuike is going to get more than 20 would imply the Ravens are getting beat up and down the field consistently and long drives but quickly. 

Huge fan of the Madubuike pick, think expectations for his first game, particularly a Chiefs game off injury are a little high, though. 

I think he could potentially be an upgrade as a pure interior pass-rusher over everybody aside from Campbell.

At the very least you have one more body that you can rotate to help lessen the load, and honestly I don't see a reason why Ellis and Washington should see the field in this one unless KC decides to really go heavy and run the ball a ton which seems unlikely. The Chiefs are in 11 personnel 80% of their snaps.

@gabefergy

#31 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,430 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 05:49 PM

Arrowhead Pride: Patrick Mahomes against Marcus Peters could be a key matchup in Chiefs-Ravens game
https://www.arrowhea...ravens-game-nfl

#32 Don Olsen

Don Olsen

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSeverna Park, MD

Posted 25 September 2020 - 11:28 AM

I good tape to watch is the Colts game at Arrowhead from last season.  Some things that will drive the success of the Ravens 4 man rush.  I suspect it will come down to the following:

1. The success of McPhee or Judon to crash into the pocket and force Mahomes to step out and not be able to plant to make every throw in the book.  Whether he is clean in the pocket or dropping back, he gets clean feet to either step in hard or step in lightly to the throw with his back step jump.  When he goes on the side, arm angle drops and loft is not possible on his throws unless he air mails it with too much loft.

2. The ability for the stunt packages to loop either Campbell or Wolfe, plus the ability to creep blitz by off the edge or loop the middle linebacker in the 3 gap left behind the crashing defensive end, or both.

The linebackers covering is the absolute key to the defense when they get him outside the pocket.  Andy Reid is going to try and isolate Fort and Queen hat on hat to get someone open in an option route, but you don't get option routes when you break him outside the pocket.

Secondary - They run deep over, banana, or fly...there isn't much variation but to stick to the hip, don't get sucked in underneath and stay hat on hat.  Its about baiting the linebacker and safety to suck in, but stay honest to the coverage and stick to the hip.

@Olsen_Don

#33 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,550 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 September 2020 - 11:42 AM

Too much talk about defending the Chiefs. The Ravens need to score aplenty against a suspect defense. If they do, they'll win.
  • Mike B and JordanKough like this

#34 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,655 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 25 September 2020 - 11:51 AM

Too much talk about defending the Chiefs. The Ravens need to score aplenty against a suspect defense. If they do, they'll win.

Yep, let's put up 40.   It is very unlikely either defense stops the other's offense..   

I am ready for game time.   Let's go Ravens!

@mikeghg

#35 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,655 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 25 September 2020 - 11:58 AM

With the exception of Tavon, the Ravens are looking pretty healthy.

Moore, Levine and Madubuike are praticing on a limited basis.  I would guess we would see some veteran days off today and tomorrow.  

@mikeghg

#36 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,655 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 25 September 2020 - 04:15 PM

Ravens are allowing 250 family members in on Monday night.

I wonder if I can get Lamar to remember his old Uncle Mike in time for the game?

• JordanKough and Mike in STL like this
@mikeghg

#37 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,299 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 04:44 PM

Secondary - They run deep over, banana, or fly...there isn't much variation but to stick to the hip, don't get sucked in underneath and stay hat on hat. Its about baiting the linebacker and safety to suck in, but stay honest to the coverage and stick to the hip.

Easy to state. Harder to stop when its Tyreek Hill and Mecole Hardman running at you. I'm not sure their is a CB in the world who can man up one on one with Hill, and run stride for stride with him for an entire game. Safety play will be key. They absolutely have to stick to their assignments. If they leave any of our CBs on an island with Hill, you may as well give them 6. Mahomes arm and Hills speed may be the 2nd biggest unfair advantage in football. Behind only Lamars legs and passing ability of course. 😁
  • JordanKough likes this

#38 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 04:49 PM

I wonder if I can get Lamar to remember his old Uncle Mike in time for the game?

He's got two of them!

• The Epic likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#39 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,550 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 September 2020 - 04:54 PM

And a cousin, Ricker. Who, BTW, was totally kidding when he said he wasn't sure his passing accuracy would improve enough from Louisville to the NFL.
  • JordanKough likes this

#40 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 05:00 PM

I hope they bring their bullhorns. It hurts to miss this one. That stadium would be electric Monday night. I heard the Chiefs play here next year too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=