#141 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,535 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 August 2020 - 05:21 PM

I had no problem giving Sulser the role up until today. Will say again, he has a role but it's not in high lev situations. Dont have a bunch of confidence in Scott but he gets the first chance and he should have started the 9th today

Right there with you. I love his split change or whatever it is, nasty pitch when he's controlling it. Which is rarely, especially the past 2 weeks. Think there's something there, but he has clearly lost his confidence. Shouldn't have taken out Scott after just 2 batters.

#142 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 30 August 2020 - 05:24 PM

Why is he obsessed with a 30 year old career minor leaguer?

I've discussed this with Weber, Ricker, and Antoine, and I legit do not understand this Sulser thing. Three lefties to start the ninth, why is Scott not still in?

Sulser has talent and I think he deserves a spot in our bullpen for now (over guys like Evan Phillips for example) but certainly should not be pitching in high leverage situations unless unavoidable.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#143 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,231 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 05:24 PM

Thing is - the pitch wasn't anywhere near the catcher's mitt. Ump's are going to miss that more than half the time. Sulser's lack of command lost the game... again. He should never pitch past the 6th inning - unless the goal is to get a high pick.

I agree.

Severino was set up on the outside corner. You are not going to get that borderline pitch if your catcher has to move that much.

Sulser does not throw enough strikes.

Gotta move him out of that role.

I say use a combo of Scott, Harvey and Castro.
  • Ruzious likes this
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#144 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,231 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 05:26 PM

Hyde talks about how important it is that his relievers throw strikes, Sulser now with 13 walks in 15 innings.

Exhibit A your honor.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#145 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 30 August 2020 - 05:28 PM

Sulser has talent and I think he deserves a spot in our bullpen for now (over guys like Evan Phillips for example) but certainly should not be pitching in high leverage situations unless unavoidable.

Fine, he can be the new Evan Phillips, but yea, nowhere near a close game. 

• BobPhelan likes this
@beginthebegin71

#146 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,535 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 August 2020 - 05:29 PM

Thing is - the pitch wasn't anywhere near the catcher's mitt.  Ump's are going to miss that more than half the time.  Sulser's lack of command lost the game... again.  He should never pitch past the 6th inning - unless the goal is to get a high pick.    

Yep, very good point. The inverse was also true, to your point, on that called 2nd strike in the final AB, which was clearly a couple inches inside. 

#147 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 30 August 2020 - 05:35 PM

I agree with the sentiment that it's weird that Hyde is acting like Sulser is like some proven closer.

I think it's a little concerning going forward in terms of Hyde's judgement as a manager.

That said, it's hard for me to get that worked up over it given how low my expectations were going into this year and given that they've overachieved to date. If this were a true contender, it would be infuriating, but now they'll just get a slightly higher pick!
  • O-The-Memories likes this

#148 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 30 August 2020 - 05:37 PM

I agree with the sentiment that it's weird that Hyde is acting like Sulser is like some proven closer.

I think it's a little concerning going forward in terms of Hyde's judgement as a manager.

That said, it's hard for me to get that worked up over it given how low my expectations were going into this year and given that they've overachieved to date. If this were a true contender, it would be infuriating, but now they'll just get a slightly higher pick!

True, but damn is it maddening in the moment!

@beginthebegin71

#149 mrbig1

mrbig1
  • Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 05:42 PM

Another heartbreaking loss.

#150 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 30 August 2020 - 05:43 PM

True, but damn is it maddening in the moment!

I'm also probably a lot less dialed into every game compared to you as I'm focusing more on the NBA.

#151 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,992 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 05:44 PM

Dammit. I wasn't expecting the counterpoint to the "should've walked Grichuk" argument to come up so quickly.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#152 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,610 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 30 August 2020 - 05:45 PM

Tank szn

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#153 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,610 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 30 August 2020 - 05:45 PM

Dammit. I wasn't expecting the counterpoint to the "should've walked Grichuk" argument to come up so quickly.

If Grichuk walks us off there everyone in Baltimore jumps

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#154 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,388 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 05:53 PM

Its all good. We improve our draft position. We get to figure out what we have with some of these guys.

#155 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,535 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 August 2020 - 05:55 PM

They are 3 back in the loss column for the #1 overall pick.
  • Ruzious likes this

#156 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,535 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 August 2020 - 05:56 PM

I also strongly disliked how badly Suler missed on all 4 pitches to Grichuk. He did nothing right today. Real bad outing following the previous one.

#157 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 30 August 2020 - 05:58 PM

I also strongly disliked how badly Suler missed on all 4 pitches to Grichuk. He did nothing right today. Real bad outing following the previous one.

I mean with how he's hit this team would you be throwing him anything near the plate either? If I had to throw him 4 balls in a tight game, I'd probably put all 4 in the dugout.

@JeremyMStrain

#158 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,535 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 August 2020 - 06:00 PM

I mean with how he's hit this team would you be throwing him anything near the plate either? If I had to throw him 4 balls in a tight game, I'd probably put all 4 in the dugout.

Yes, near the plate. There's an art to pitching around someone that can sometimes lead to an out by getting someone to swing at crap, particularly when they are as aggressive as he is vs. Oriole pitching. You can't just chuck all 4, 3 feet outside.

#159 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,992 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 06:01 PM

I'd have pitched to him Friday and I'd have pitched to him today. In these cases everyone was wrong no matter what they chose. I'd still rather be facing Grichuk as the winning run than facing Guerrero/Shaw with the winning run on 1st.

#160 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 30 August 2020 - 06:02 PM

Yes, near the plate. There's an art to pitching around someone that can sometimes lead to an out by getting someone to swing at crap, particularly when they are as aggressive as he is vs. Oriole pitching. You can't just chuck all 4, 3 feet outside.

There's also an art to hitting balls that aren't really over the plate. As much as he's crushed us, I wouldn't be taking chances. Let someone else beat you, but not the guy that has done it over and over and over again.

@JeremyMStrain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=