#161 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 August 2020 - 06:09 PM

There's also an art to hitting balls that aren't really over the plate. As much as he's crushed us, I wouldn't be taking chances. Let someone else beat you, but not the guy that has done it over and over and over again.

I mean I was for that too. But think you still try and tempt him a bit. Just a minor difference, but I hear ya.
  • JeremyStrain and fishteacher like this

#162 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 06:09 PM

For a guy with 13 walks in 15 innings he sure as hell throws some fat pitches when even or ahead in the count.
  • 1970 likes this

#163 Ruzious

Ruzious
  • Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 06:23 PM

For a guy with 13 walks in 15 innings he sure as hell throws some fat pitches when even or ahead in the count.

It's his command as much as his control that's the problem.  When he did throw strikes, he was mostly throwing them right down the middle of the plate.  It's not that he's a bad closer; he's a bad pitcher at this point.  

#164 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,199 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 06:31 PM

I'd have pitched to him Friday and I'd have pitched to him today. In these cases everyone was wrong no matter what they chose. I'd still rather be facing Grichuk as the winning run than facing Guerrero/Shaw with the winning run on 1st.

I'm with you.

The Orioles pretty much intentionally walked the winning run onto base with two outs.

I know the guy has crushed Orioles pitching, but I prefer to go after him in that situation.

Also, I get what Jeremy is saying about the art of pitching around a guy, but I've seen that bite teams on the ass on many occasions.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#165 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 30 August 2020 - 06:41 PM

I'm with you.

The Orioles pretty much intentionally walked the winning run onto base with two outs.

I know the guy has crushed Orioles pitching, but I prefer to go after him in that situation.

Also, I get what Jeremy is saying about the art of pitching around a guy, but I've seen that bite teams on the ass on many occasions.

Yeah my thing is with a guy with weak command like that, I wouldn’t risk him trying to throw just outside knowing there’s a good chance he loses command of it and it ends up dead center of the plate.

It is a crappy risk to put the winning run on but then a ground all ends the game too. :/
@JeremyMStrain

#166 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 07:20 PM

That said, it's hard for me to get that worked up over it given how low my expectations were going into this year and given that they've overachieved to date. If this were a true contender, it would be infuriating, but now they'll just get a slightly higher pick!

I would've agreed with this before the season.

But we're 4.5 games out of a playoff spot, and we should be 0.5 games out if not for stupid decisions the past few games.  And normally sure, I"m fine with the draft pick and the rebuild.  But 2020's been a crappy year for everyone, and a playoff push could've pushed the city's spirits up a bit, silly as it may seem with everything else going on.

But instead we're just going to keep going through the motions and make it clear that winning doesn't really matter yet.  Disappointing to me.

• fishteacher likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=