#61 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,358 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 27 August 2020 - 07:31 PM

Wants to run a site without politics. Baseball has been escape. Orioles message means it's not.
With his son as an Officer, he feels the Orioles statement adds to a culture which puts his son at risk.

Absurd.

#62 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,358 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 07:33 PM

He also threw in that Jacob Blake deserved to be shot.

A good person can't believe this. Period.
  • CantonJester likes this

#63 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,544 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 27 August 2020 - 07:42 PM

If OH shuts down, I guess there's always Trea's site to post at.

I lol'd.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#64 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,358 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 07:49 PM

Wants to run a site without politics. Baseball has been escape. Orioles message means it's not.
With his son as an Officer, he feels the Orioles statement adds to a culture which puts his son at risk.

Damn cancel culture has gotten to the point where racists cancel themselves!
  • waroriole and CantonJester like this

#65 NickStevens

NickStevens

HOF

• Members
  • 477 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA but the 757 is home

Posted 27 August 2020 - 07:54 PM

At first I couldn't believe that what I was reading was real, but then I remembered who wrote it. Good riddance.

• SBTarheel and BobPhelan like this
@NickStevensR on Twitter.
Follow BSL's Orioles Minor League podcast on Twitter @BSLOnTheVerge and follow us on Facebook and Instagram! Just search BSL On The Verge!

#66 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,250 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 27 August 2020 - 08:13 PM

A good person can't believe this. Period.

Says who? Y'all act like this guy was some saint and didn't do anything wrong.

Take a breath. Then watch this from a black ex police officer.

https://www.youtube....h?v=r2Sp8EIHu1A

The point is that there needs to be a conversation. There needs to be some fundamental changes. But it is way more complex than to just say "we are taking a stand against social injustice and systemic racism" as if the only way this occurs is white toward black.

#67 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 27 August 2020 - 08:18 PM

The point is that there needs to be a conversation. There needs to be some fundamental changes. But it is way more complex than to just say "we are taking a stand against social injustice and systemic racism" as if the only way this occurs is white toward black.

I remember Officer Tatum from his Ahmaud Arbery take, and he ended up being -incredibly- wrong. 

I think you should look at the rest of his videos (including where he's saying that literally every shooting/murder that we've talked about, INCLUDING THE KID'S TWO MURDERS, were justifiable). I'm not saying to disregard him because of his obvious bias; I'm saying that he's obviously speaking from one side every time, and you should strongly consider why that's the case.

If I posted a video and I said, "Hear me out...maybe ISIS is ok, and here's why..."...and everything is talking about how awful America is, you'd be...very skeptical.

(BTW, and I know that this is stating the obvious, the police didn't go there and suddenly look at his arrest record.)

#68 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,358 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 08:19 PM

I'm not saying the guy was a saint or anything. My comments have nothing to do with how good or bad of a human he was. My comments are specifically related to the incident at hand, where a good person just can't justify those seven bullets fired into his back.
  • bmore_ken and CantonJester like this

#69 KWebz

KWebz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 722 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 08:21 PM

Its absolutely disgusting how people find literally anything wrong with a black person's past and then pretend like that's a reason they should be shot in cold blood. 

• SBTarheel, The Epic, mweb08 and 3 others like this

#70 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 27 August 2020 - 08:26 PM

Its absolutely disgusting how people find literally anything wrong with a black person's past and then pretend like that's a reason they should be shot in cold blood. 

This infuriates me..It's beyond despicable. 

If your first thought is ever "Yeah, but", that tells me all i ever need to know about you. Period.

• mweb08, BobPhelan, CantonJester and 1 other like this
@beginthebegin71

#71 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,892 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 27 August 2020 - 08:33 PM

Also it feels like the whole point of our justice system is we let people who've done bad things, allegedly or not, go to trial and not let the police serve as judge, jury and executioner

• mweb08, BobPhelan and KWebz like this

she/her

#72 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,250 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 27 August 2020 - 08:41 PM

I'm not saying the guy was a saint or anything. My comments have nothing to do with how good or bad of a human he was. My comments are specifically related to the incident at hand, where a good person just can't justify those seven bullets fired into his back.

1. The police were there to arrest him. Hardly his past. He had an active warrant out.

2. Does this situation end in the same result if he just lets the officers arrest him? Hey if its a bad arrest then sue the hell out of that police department. 

3. Should they have shot him 7 times? Probably not. But there are two rules that any good shooting instructor will impress upon you.

a. Never point a gun at someone unless you are absolutely willing to pull the trigger.

b. God forbid if you ever do have to shoot at someone then you make sure they are down and can't hurt you or anyone else.

Now none of us were there and none of us know the whole story here. Perhaps the cops were wrong. Perhaps they didn't give due warning. Maybe these two cops have a history? I have no idea. But I do know one thing that was ingrained in me as a kid. If the cops tell you to do something just do it. Why is that wrong?

#73 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,358 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 08:42 PM

1. The police were there to arrest him. Hardly his past. He had an active warrant out.
2. Does this situation end in the same result if he just lets the officers arrest him? Hey if its a bad arrest then sue the hell out of that police department.
3. Should they have shot him 7 times? Probably not. But there are two rules that any good shooting instructor will impress upon you.
a. Never point a gun at someone unless you are absolutely willing to pull the trigger.
b. God forbid if you ever do have to shoot at someone then you make sure they are down and can't hurt you or anyone else.

Probably not? Lol

No reason to shoot at all.

#74 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,250 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 27 August 2020 - 08:52 PM

Probably not? Lol

No reason to shoot at all.

Were you there? Do you know why the police were called in the first place?

What do you think police should do when they give specific instructions (IF they did) to not get in the car or reach in the car? What happens when they do nothing and the guy reaches in his car and pulls out his gun and shootsyou? There is a reason why the standard is to keep your hands where the police can see them.

#75 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 08:52 PM

Now none of us were there and none of us know the whole story here. Perhaps the cops were wrong. Perhaps they didn't give due warning. Maybe these two cops have a history? I have no idea. But I do know one thing that was ingrained in me as a kid. If the cops tell you to do something just do it. Why is that wrong?

The Officer's are sworn to uphold the law and protect. 

They apparently tried to subdue, and failed. 
He was going to his car, and apparently there was a knife....  

But they had him surrounded, and his back was turned. 

Their job was to deescalate, and arrest peacefully if need be. 

Shooting the man 7x in his back, when you have him cornered is horrific. 

Shooting from the Police should be the absolute last resort, when their life is at-risk. 

(And if they are shooting, and not again tasing... they should at that minimal distance, be able to shoot in a way that doesn't jeopardize Blake's life, or paralyze him.) 

It seems hard to believe that is what they directly faced, with him cornered and with his back to the officers. 

I believe there are good Police out there. 
If I'm one of those good Cops, I'm infuriated by the actions of this Police officer. 

By not finding a way to deescalate, that officer has further eroded needed public trust from many. 

• mweb08 and CantonJester like this

#76 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,757 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 08:54 PM

A part of me kind of hopes police start shooting white people for the same noncompliance they shoot black people for.  That's probably the fastest way to get overarching police reform.  

The guy was not cooperating, and then he tried to get into his car inside which he apparently had already told them was a knife.  That's not smart behavior.  The problem is that if your average white guy does exactly the same thing, the cops wait for him to turn back out of the car, see what he has in his hands if anything, then talk to him for a while, then only if he points a gun at them do they shoot, if it's just a knife he'd have to run at them and then maybe they'd shoot.

The kid with the AR15 was walking away from a shooting, still holding the gun, and cops talked to him and went past him to go to the scene.  They didn't know he was the shooter, but he was holding an AR15 near to where police were responding to a shots fired call, and they just said hi and let him go on his way.

Getting into a car that has a knife in it = shot 7 times in the back

Holding a giant rifle walking away from the scene of a shooting = not even stopped

• mweb08, KWebz and CantonJester like this

#77 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,250 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 27 August 2020 - 08:56 PM

The Officer's are sworn to uphold the law and protect. 

They apparently tried to subdue, and failed. 
He was going to his car, and apparently there was a knife....  

But they had him surrounded, and his back was turned. 

Their job was to deescalate, and arrest peacefully if need be. 

Shooting the man 7x in his back, when you have him cornered is horrific. 

Shooting from the Police should be the absolute last resort, when their life is at-risk. 

(And if they are shooting, and not again tasing... they should at that minimal distance, be able to shoot in a way that doesn't jeopardize Blake's life, or paralyze him.) 

It seems hard to believe that is what they directly faced, with him cornered and with his back to the officers. 

I believe there are good Police out there. 
If I'm one of those good Cops, I'm infuriated by the actions of this Police officer. 

By not finding a way to deescalate, that officer has further eroded needed public trust from many. 

Chris , I agree with everything you said with one exception. IF the police instructed him to NOT try to get in the car what are they supposed to do when he reaches into the car? How do you deescalate things at that point?

#78 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,358 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 08:59 PM

What do you think police should do when they give specific instructions (IF they did) to not get in the car or reach in the car? What happens when they do nothing and the guy reaches in his car and pulls out his gun and shootsyou? There is a reason why the standard is to keep your hands where the police can see them.

Stoner and Mackus have said it well for me.

I'd also be curious to know which times you have sided with the African American victims in these high profile shootings.

#79 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,757 posts

If he pulled a gun out of the car, turned around, and pointed it at the cops or at anyone else then I'm ok with the cops shooting him.  Or if he pulled something that looked like a gun out of the car, turned around, and pointed it at the cops or anyone else.  Or if he turns out of the car and charges at the cops.

Shooting him because he might get a gun out of the car is not ok.  I think that's (attempted) murder.  If a normal citizen did the same thing they'd be arrested and charged with (attempted) murder.  Other than fart on them, what could he do to those cops with his back to them?

#80 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,358 posts

Chris , I agree with everything you said with one exception. IF the police instructed him to NOT try to get in the car what are they supposed to do when he reaches into the car? How do you deescalate things at that point?

They manage to do it when it's a white person.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=