578 replies to this topic

#541 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,437 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 02:20 PM

Apparently Rocker agreed to $6M pending physical but the Mets say he has an elbow problem. Rocker disagrees. They have till Sunday to figure it out.

#542 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 02:27 PM

Apparently Rocker agreed to $6M pending physical but the Mets say he has an elbow problem. Rocker disagrees. They have till Sunday to figure it out.

Well his velocity dropped off a ton, if I recall, so not that surprised. Some on here aren’t gonna like to hear this because it doesn’t support their narrative on Elias’ draft strategy
  • BobPhelan likes this

#543 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,437 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 02:38 PM

I don't even want to think about the uproar, especially after Kjerstad's issues, if the O's picked Rocker and then didn't sign him due to the physical. Glad it wasn't us to be honest.

I also just read that Rocker refused to consent to the Rockies drafting him, they had the 8th pick. They picked him in 2018 (in the 38th round), so they could not pick him again without his consent. I don't know if that's really that bad, but it rubs me the wrong way.

#544 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 03:00 PM

I don't even want to think about the uproar, especially after Kjerstad's issues, if the O's picked Rocker and then didn't sign him due to the physical. Glad it wasn't us to be honest.

I also just read that Rocker refused to consent to the Rockies drafting him, they had the 8th pick. They picked him in 2018 (in the 38th round), so they could not pick him again without his consent. I don't know if that's really that bad, but it rubs me the wrong way.

Not sure if the rules changed, but this happend to Elias when they drafted Brady Aiken. Physical found a smaller than normal UCL. As long as you offer 40% of the slot value, you get that pick again next year if the player doesn’t sign. Astros offered 40% to the penny, he didn’t sign, used the the #2 overall pick as compensation on Bregman the next year, and Kyle Tucker with their regular #5 overall pick. I’d say it worked.

The uproar would be if the Orioles didn’t make an offer large enough to qualify for compensation, but given it happened to Elias he better know. I wouldn’t have a problem with it, especially with pitchers.
@BSLMikeRandall

#545 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,437 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 03:09 PM

Not sure if the rules changed, but this happend to Elias when they drafted Brady Aiken. Physical found a smaller than normal UCL. As long as you offer 40% of the slot value, you get that pick again next year if the player doesn’t sign. Astros offered 40% to the penny, he didn’t sign, used the the #2 overall pick as compensation on Bregman the next year, and Kyle Tucker with their regular #5 overall pick. I’d say it worked.

The uproar would be if the Orioles didn’t make an offer large enough to qualify for compensation, but given it happened to Elias he better know. I wouldn’t have a problem with it, especially with pitchers.

Right, of course they would offer it, a Boras client who thinks he's a top 10 talent isn't going to take <$2M so that's probably no big deal.

I've already seen a lot of people saying "Just give him the $6M even if he has TJ he's worth it." I think there'd be plenty of uproar if the O's just took the pick next year. Lots of people love calling the O's cheap, and lots of people love making fun of their physicals.

#546 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,930 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 03:20 PM

They're definitely cheap and it certainly seems like they quash more deals for physicals than other teams.  In defense of their doctors, many, if not most, of the times the O's have backed out of a deal due to a physical the player in question dealt with issues in short order.

#547 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,930 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 03:25 PM

I heard mixed reports on Rocker's velocity.  Some say it dropped but it came back.  I've read up and down.  Anyone know for sure what was going on with that this season?

Dropped velocity is a huge red flag.  But if it comes back, then that indicates more of a dead arm period, which isn't a concern, than any of the more scary possibilities.

#548 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 03:45 PM

I heard mixed reports on Rocker's velocity.  Some say it dropped but it came back.  I've read up and down.  Anyone know for sure what was going on with that this season?

Dropped velocity is a huge red flag.  But if it comes back, then that indicates more of a dead arm period, which isn't a concern, than any of the more scary possibilities.

https://blogs.fangra...roller-coaster/

• Mackus likes this

#549 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,298 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 04:01 PM

There was obviously concern by teams. His stats were still worthy of being that top pick but he fell to 10. Or 8 if you believe he rejected going to Col.

#550 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,298 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 04:05 PM

Was personally out on him by draft day. Glad we dont have to have a tough decision to make. As noted above, you're not going to win either way. Either you're cheap and have too tough of a physical standard or you're an idiot for giving an injured guy slot or above slot money.

#551 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,437 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 04:51 PM

Hoglund just got $3.3M with TJ imminent, so if that’s the issue I assume Rocker could still get 4 or more, but probably not 6. I am just assuming TJ is the issue since reports said elbow, of course specifics could change things.

I wonder how much it’s worth to have surgery and rehab on the team’s dime? Elective surgery can get pretty expensive pretty quickly even for things that seem routine.

#552 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,930 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 04:53 PM

Hoglund just got $3.3M with TJ imminent, so if that’s the issue I assume Rocker could still get 4 or more, but probably not 6. I am just assuming TJ is the issue since reports said elbow, of course specifics could change things.

I wonder how much it’s worth to have surgery and rehab on the team’s dime? Elective surgery can get pretty expensive pretty quickly even for things that seem routine.

He still has the option to return to school and get surgery on Vanderbilt's dime, no?

#553 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,437 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 04:55 PM

He still has the option to return to school and get surgery on Vanderbilt's dime, no?

Ah for some reason I didn’t think of that, probably so.

#554 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,930 posts

Posted 28 July 2021 - 03:23 PM

Leiter signs for $7.92M, slightly above slot and more than a million more than anyone else has signed for.  Davis, Jobe, and Mayer are all between $6.5M and $6.9M.  

Lawler, Rocker, House, and Watson are the last guys unsigned.

#555 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,126 posts

Posted 28 July 2021 - 05:49 PM

Honestly, with the kind of consistency and precision that surgeons are able to repair UCLs, I might not even care if a guy who I know checks all the boxes needs TJ right out of the gate. The recovery percentage, while not perfect, is very very high.

#556 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,437 posts

Posted 28 July 2021 - 06:18 PM

Honestly, with the kind of consistency and precision that surgeons are able to repair UCLs, I might not even care if a guy who I know checks all the boxes needs TJ right out of the gate. The recovery percentage, while not perfect, is very very high.

That’s why Hoglund was still a first round pick and got over $3M. Giolito was expected to have TJ too I think and got almost that much. But it’s still a risk. I feel like 10-20% don’t come all the way back, but I could be out of date with that. Anyway there’s a fine line between being a superstar ace and being just an adequate pitcher so if you lose a little of your stuff… We saw that with Bundy even though TJ wasn’t his problem.

#557 NickStevens

NickStevens

HOF

• Members
  • 477 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA but the 757 is home

Posted 01 August 2021 - 11:44 AM

Appears that Rocker signing won't be happening by today's deadline- https://www.espn.com...am-sources-say.

Curious to see which route he goes next season without signing.

@NickStevensR on Twitter.
Follow BSL's Orioles Minor League podcast on Twitter @BSLOnTheVerge and follow us on Facebook and Instagram! Just search BSL On The Verge!

#558 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,930 posts

Posted 01 August 2021 - 01:57 PM

Watson signs with the Marlins.  ~$4.54M, above the ~$3.7M slot.  Marlins went over their pool (though of course stayed under the 5%threshold where future picks are lost).  

The O's stayed a couple hundred K under their allocation, and could've spent another $500k or so without any non-monetary penalties.  Fun times when you're far more frugal than the freaking Marlins. Really hope the Angelos family gets out of the baseball industry.  I'll take my chances with unknown ownership.  There is very little room to get worse.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#559 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 01 August 2021 - 02:00 PM

Mets will leave ~$1.3 million on the table if they fail to sign Rocker. They didn’t draft any back up plans in rounds 11-20.

#560 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,930 posts

Posted 01 August 2021 - 02:04 PM

Overall strategy-wise in terms of slot bonuses...

Pirates #1 - $1.92M under

Orioles #5 - $1.28M under

Royals #7 - $1.88M under

Angels #9 - $1.10M under

Diamondbacks #6 - $0.97M over

Mets #10 - $1.26M over (reportedly agreed-upon bonus went unsigned due to failed physical)

Marlins #16 - $0.79M over

Reds #17 - $1.02M over

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=