198 replies to this topic

#141 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 25 June 2023 - 06:08 PM

I see no room for Cowser to play every day at this moment. Hicks and OHearn are producing right now. Id say a sneaky Frazier DFA is possible but they just seem to love him too much. I mean who is going to go when Mountcastle;s rehab time is up??

CF Mullins
C Adley
DH/1B/RF Santander
3B Gunnar/Westburg/Urias
LF Hays
RF/CF/LF Cowser/Hicks
2B/3B Westburg/Frazier
1B O’Hearn/Urias/Santander
SS Mateo/Gunnar

Backup catcher
Hicks 4th OF
Urias backup INF

#142 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,286 posts

Posted 25 June 2023 - 06:13 PM

I don't see the point in bringing Westburg up and making a 40 man move if they plan to just send him back in a week or whatever.

I mostly agree so again whats the move with Mountcastle ? It all can mostly work for now. I mean if we assume Frazier loses more PT vs righties. But there really isnt a move to make with Mounty. WOuld love to hear thoughts there. On one hand he has options they could just option him but on the other hand hes kind of established and more importantly he is crushing LHP. Hes a perfect compliment to OHearn as a platoon guy. 

#143 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,286 posts

Posted 25 June 2023 - 06:15 PM

O'Hearn is going to greatly cool off. It's great that he produced for us while Mountcastle was struggling and hurt. I can't imagine he's flipped some magical switch at 29/30 when he's been terrible the past 4 years. I'm more hopeful Hicks can be a serviceable 4th OF/ occasional starter if needed.

Youre making assumptions . Dude is still having great ABs and Mountcastle absolutely has sucked vs RHP anyway, There is no way they are just sending OHearn down for Mountcastle anytime soon. It aint happening like that. Either Mounty is going to have an extended stay in AAA or someone else is going for him

#144 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,761 posts

Posted 25 June 2023 - 06:18 PM

O'Hearn hasn't had an OPS above .700 against RHP since his rookie year. Dude isn't special or even a decent platoon player. He was great in 2018, though.

Ride him while he's hot, but I can't see him still producing in a month or two. Hopefully I'm wrong.

#145 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,286 posts

Posted 25 June 2023 - 06:21 PM

Hes been one of the better hitters in baseball the whole month of June. Youve been calling his demise for weeks now. Yeah, hes not gonna OPS 1.000 every month the rest of the year. Hes also not gonna just lose ABs anytime soon vs RHP. SO again I ask what is gonna happen with Mountcastle assuming he is ready to go in the next week. It will not be OHearn. 

#146 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,604 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 25 June 2023 - 06:27 PM

If only the Os could package this excess riches to fill needs!

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#147 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,761 posts

Posted 25 June 2023 - 06:29 PM

He's striking out almost a 1/3 of the time in June. Not walking much at all. Hopefully he can continue to hit for power like he has been. I'm guessing the advanced stats would say he's been a bit lucky.

#148 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,286 posts

Posted 25 June 2023 - 06:34 PM

He's striking out almost a 1/3 of the time in June. Not walking much at all. Hopefully he can continue to hit for power like he has been. I'm guessing the advanced stats would say he's been a bit lucky.

So youre just gonna hand his  job at 1b vs RHP back to the guy whos OPS vs righties is .539 in 168 ABs. Oh BTW OHearn certainly looks like the better defender at 1b too. Not that its hard considering the metrics hate Mounty there. Its as much or more about how bad Mountcastle has been vs righties vs thinking OHearn is some revalation

#149 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,437 posts

Posted 25 June 2023 - 06:42 PM

Including today O'Hearn is 3 for his last 18 with 5 K's. It's possible if Mountcastle takes another week or two that we'll be fine sending O'Hearn down.

#150 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,761 posts

Posted 25 June 2023 - 06:43 PM

I'm fine platooning them for the time being. I've said we need to ride O'Hearn's hot bat for as long as he's swinging it. Hopefully we can get a few more months worth of production out of him, but history suggests he'll come crashing back to Earth sooner than later.

I wouldn’t be opposed to giving Kjerstad a run at 1B if he continues to do well in AAA through June and July. He's crushing LHP this year.

#151 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,286 posts

Posted 25 June 2023 - 06:44 PM

Including today O'Hearn is 3 for his last 18 with 5 K's. It's possible if Mountcastle takes another week or two that we'll be fine sending O'Hearn down.

He also smoked two balls today and was robbed of a HR last night.  I just dont think Mounty deserves to get reg PT against RHP right now. Even if its not OHearn figure something else out.

#152 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,761 posts

Posted 25 June 2023 - 06:47 PM

Mountcastle hasn't got a hit in 17 AAA PAs. I can't imagine the Orioles rushed him back before he was 100% ready to go, either.

Honestly, might he time for them to look in another direction for 1B.

#153 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,437 posts

Posted 25 June 2023 - 06:47 PM

He also smoked two balls today and was robbed of a HR last night.  I just dont think Mounty deserves to get reg PT against RHP right now. Even if its not OHearn figure something else out.

I don't think so either. I was going to say maybe Westburg, like you said he's way better vs RHP. I thought I remembered hearing that he was playing some 1B but I guess I was imagining that, he has no games there ever. So I doubt that starts at MLB.

#154 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,286 posts

Posted 25 June 2023 - 06:55 PM

I do agree that Kjerstad is becoming a viable option pretty soon too. Most of his games this year have been at 1b, I think thats where most have come anyway. Urias has played 30 innings  at 1b this year. Santander 31 innings at 1b. One of them will be tomorrow.

#155 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,641 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 26 June 2023 - 09:47 AM

I suspect Mountcastle is going to get optioned after his rehab time is up.  As for O'Hearn, he has had a slow patch, 3 for 18 but if you are watching the games, he lost a homerun to JRod, and had 3 or 4 bullets right at people.  I think he gets more run, before we go back to Mounty.

Westburg is coming up to play, and probably at second base.  I really believe the reason Joey Ortiz was here is #1. he is better with the glove, but also because the team was more willing to let him, ride the bench than JW.  I never bought they liked Ortiz better, than Westburg.  If they did he would have been playing a lot more.

I think Ortiz goes down and gets playing time, Frazier hits the bench for the most part.  I think Mateo, gets a little more time, but if his struggles continue, they will be forced to make a tough decision.

Lester probably is a DFA candidate to make room for JW.

@mikeghg

#156 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,641 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 26 June 2023 - 09:51 AM

The interesting thing to me is Westburg has played shortstop more than anywhere else this year.  

Bob, what is the word on him at shortstop.  Is he good enough to play there as a regular in the majors?

• makoman likes this
@mikeghg

#157 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,437 posts

Posted 26 June 2023 - 09:55 AM

The interesting thing to me is Westburg has played shortstop more than anywhere else this year.  

Bob, what is the word on him at shortstop.  Is he good enough to play there as a regular in the majors?

I agree that is interesting, and is why I just can't believe he is incompetent as an infielder, as some have suggested.

Mountcastle for example stopped playing SS in A+ ball 3 years before he made the majors. If you can't handle a position you are moved, generally.

• Mike B likes this

#158 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,641 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 26 June 2023 - 10:04 AM

I agree that is interesting, and is why I just can't believe he is incompetent as an infielder, as some have suggested.

Mountcastle for example stopped playing SS in A+ ball 3 years before he made the majors. If you can't handle a position you are moved, generally.

I think it is possible that some who have mentioned Westburg's defense were making that assumption to justify his not being called up.

I still think he is playing mostly second base with the Orioles, though.  Please no outfield though.  We have enough outfielders that we do not need to play infielders out there.

@mikeghg

#159 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,286 posts

Posted 26 June 2023 - 10:59 AM

Incompetent was never a word used. Hes no great shakes anywhere though. The bat will have to carry him. Unlike an Ortiz.

#160 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,641 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 26 June 2023 - 11:32 AM

Incompetent was never a word used. Hes no great shakes anywhere though. The bat will have to carry him. Unlike an Ortiz.

My hope is that he is an improvement over Frazier at second base.

@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=