604 replies to this topic

#61 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 05:25 PM

I think all these guys are good players. Judon and Brown are better than good. Going to be interesting to see how the Ravens prioritize each and what type of money it'll take to retain them. I think you can make a good argument for most any combination.

Judon isn't better than good though. He is a good pass rusher. Thats it. He isn't good against the run. He isn't a good tackler. He isn't good in coverage. And he disappears completely for long periods of time, even full games. Better than good players don't do that.

Judon has 3 things going for him. He's a good pass rusher. He is super versatile. And he knows this system inside and out. I'd offer him $10-$12m per year. If he walks he walks. Give me a tackle with the ability to play either side at a high level over the above average pass rusher who is a liability in every other aspect of the game.

#62 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 05:28 PM

He doesn't think Lamar is the best player on the roster. And if Lamar gets hurt or doesn't play well because his line sucks, it feeds his narrative that he was never good and not worth building around.

God forbid we sacrifice a few defensive players to stack the offense for once. And offensive line may be the single most important unit on this team. But by all means, significantly weaken it. Thats how you get over the post season hump...

#63 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,984 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 08:40 PM

Judon isn't better than good though. He is a good pass rusher. Thats it. He isn't good against the run. He isn't a good tackler. He isn't good in coverage. And he disappears completely for long periods of time, even full games. Better than good players don't do that.

Judon has 3 things going for him. He's a good pass rusher. He is super versatile. And he knows this system inside and out. I'd offer him $10-$12m per year. If he walks he walks. Give me a tackle with the ability to play either side at a high level over the above average pass rusher who is a liability in every other aspect of the game.

Judon is better than good, IMO.

#64 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 22 January 2021 - 09:50 PM

He didn't grade all that well in PFF, he only had 6 sacks, and the past 2 years we've had trouble rushing the QB.  While I don't take PFF as the be-all-end-all, there's a lot of ancillary evidence that doesn't think he's doing all that much to help us out as well.

#65 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 09:52 PM

God forbid we sacrifice a few defensive players to stack the offense for once. And offensive line may be the single most important unit on this team. But by all means, significantly weaken it. Thats how you get over the post season hump...

I agree.  The Ravens need to put some of the same effort into the offense that they do on the defense.  Teams are getting to the SB with average defenses, as long as they have dynamic, flexible offenses.  The NFL rules have dictated that offense now carries more weight on the balance scales than defense.  That doesn't mean ignore the defense, but the Ravens have gone way overboard, imo, on some moves.  Not that they weren't decent moves, but the impact on the defense moved the meter very little as opposed to what a good offensive signing would do.   I thought the better trade deadline move would be to bring in some offensive line help, instead of Yannick who had a very questionable impact.   

They believe you can beat KC by stacking up a great defense to slow them down, even though the on field proof says otherwise.   The teams that have beaten KC have done it by going toe to toe with them in the passing game.  If the Ravens don't spend most of their offseason/draft on the offense, then I really have to question what they are thinking.  

#66 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 08:31 AM

That's your opinion. Thats fine. But its wrong. Every ounce of film, and statistical analysis proves that. I mean, he has one skill that's good. And he's not even the best on this team at that one skill. He had over 100 more snaps than McPhee, and only 10 more total pressures. He had 50 more pass rush snaps than Bowser, but only 13 more total pressures.

Tyus Bowser is the best edge on this team. Resign him. Let Judon go be someone else's problem for $15+m a year.
  • Mashed Potatoes likes this

#67 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 08:36 AM

CBS Sports: 2021 NFL Mock Draft: Jets acquire Deshaun Watson, trade Sam Darnold to the NFC
https://www.cbssport...old-to-the-nfc/

#68 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 08:36 AM

NFL.com: Daniel Jeremiah mock draft 1.0: Four QBs in top eight

#69 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 09:03 AM

BSL: Matthew Judon’s franchise tag and future with the Ravens

#70 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 09:08 AM

CBS Sports: 2021 NFL Mock Draft: Jets acquire Deshaun Watson, trade Sam Darnold to the NFC
https://www.cbssport...old-to-the-nfc/

LSU • JR • 6'4" / 200 LBS

Baltimore adds a little more size to pair with Marquise Brown, who performed well down the stretch. The Ravens arsenal should be set but now they need to focus on supplementing the walls to the castle.

27. Azeez Ojulari · Edge rusher
Georgia, Sophomore

Ojulari is a tough evaluation. He's a little undersized, but he plays with excellent leverage and strength. The Ravens will love his energy and passion. 

#71 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 24 January 2021 - 08:10 AM

But you're ok starting a rookie, or an average at best Mekari/Phillips to protect the best player on your roster?

Judon is a decent player. He's not a guy you pay over $12m per year. He's just not worth it. He has one skill, he is an above average pass rusher, when he wants to be. He is bad against the run, he is a below average tackler, he disappears completely for full game stretches.

The ONLY positives he brings is his versatility and above average pass rush.

LoL....OK, so yes! I’d draft Dickerson and put him at C. I believe the Ravens believe Phillips or Mekari could handle RT. BTW, if I traded Brown as I have suggested (don’t want to repost again) one of my early picks would be on Leatherwood. So you’d be adding much to the line with with Leatherwood and Dickerson who are both plug and play guys. You could well end up with the same issue with Leatherwood in 3 years which i think is a good problem. Much better than letting Brown play here this year and then watching him leave and receiving a 3rd round comp pick. 

Im not going to guarantee that it would happen, but, I am very confident it’s being discussed internally. I think the Ravens are too smart not to have it on the table. The asset value is just too high! 

Roll Tide

#72 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,984 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 08:27 AM

Im ok with trading Brown but I'd rather keep him this year then tag and trade him next off-season for at least a 2nd, maybe even still a 1st. If he has another big year he'll still have good trade value even with the tag attached. Not as much as right now but the decision doesn't have to be between right now and comp pick. Tag and trade is a very viable option. Of course the downside is that then he's the only guy you can tag and you'll have to figure out an extension with Andrews.

#73 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 24 January 2021 - 08:37 AM

Im ok with trading Brown but I'd rather keep him this year then tag and trade him next off-season for at least a 2nd, maybe even still a 1st. If he has another big year he'll still have good trade value even with the tag attached. Not as much as right now but the decision doesn't have to be between right now and comp pick. Tag and trade is a very viable option. Of course the downside is that then he's the only guy you can tag and you'll have to figure out an extension with Andrews.

Good point...but there are 5-6 teams that need a new LT. So you’d be selling high and I think you could get a plug and play guy for RT in the draft. I posted a mock that had the Colts taking the #118 best player because they need a LT due to Costanzo’s retirement. And they are likely going to bring in another veteran QB because of Rivers retirement. 

Roll Tide

#74 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 24 January 2021 - 08:38 AM

And I think Mekari can play well at RT. He was moved to center out of necessity due to Hursts inability to handle snapping. 

Roll Tide

#75 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,984 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 08:41 AM

Mock drafts and player rankings don't mean much. I agree Colts look like a team that needs tackle help, but if they trade their 1st, it's probably for Stafford.

#76 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 24 January 2021 - 11:36 AM

Mock drafts and player rankings don't mean much. I agree Colts look like a team that needs tackle help, but if they trade their 1st, it's probably for Stafford.

But, so does the Bengals, Vikings, Washington and 1 or two others. I suspect and in my scenario that Washington would be my target. 

Roll Tide

#77 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 09:25 AM

Balt Sun: 10 potential Ravens targets to watch at the 2021 Senior Bowl

#78 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 11:40 AM

But, so does the Bengals, Vikings, Washington and 1 or two others. I suspect and in my scenario that Washington would be my target.

We're not trading Brown. And we shouldn't. We're gunning for a superbowl. We have Brown on a cheap deal for one more season. We can draft a lineman with our first, and after some cuts and restructuring, hopefully sign Thuney or Scherff. That would give you something like Stanley, Thuney, Bozeman, Leatherwood, Brown. Thats a dominant offensive line. That's what this offensive absolutely needs. The only question mark would be Leatherwood.

In my eyes, the best move is to let Brown play out his contract. Let Judon walk. Cut or restructure Williams and Boyle. And use your money for Thuney/Scherff and one of the WR's. Allen Robinson being my top target. I think you get him cheaper than Golladay. And he is exactly what Lamar needs. I'm also ok on the least popular option of Juju. Hes only 24 or 25. He wins at all 3 levels. He has good hands. He's good after the catch. And he wins in the redzone.

I know sacrificing the defense for the offense is borderline blasphemy for the Ravens. But it's necessary. Plus Williams is basically relegated to role player duties, and Judon is vastly overrated by Ravens fans.

I dont want to go into next season with Bowser, McPhee and Ferguson. But I'd rather do that and have a great possession WR, and dominant Oline vs a 32 year old NT and an above average edge rusher.

#79 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 03:03 PM

In Mel Kiper's latest mock draft, he has the Ravens taking at No. 27 ... Terrace Marshall Jr., WR, LSU 6-3, 201 -Ranked third in the SEC in receiving yards (731) -Scored 23 TDs in last 19 games -Averaged 15 yards per catch in 3-year career

#80 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,645 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 26 January 2021 - 04:01 PM

In Mel Kiper's latest mock draft, he has the Ravens taking at No. 27 ... Terrace Marshall Jr., WR, LSU 6-3, 201 -Ranked third in the SEC in receiving yards (731) -Scored 23 TDs in last 19 games -Averaged 15 yards per catch in 3-year career

The size is right.  I think the Ravens go with a veteran wide receiver though and go Oline if one is there in round one.

@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=