#6161 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 14 January 2021 - 10:22 AM

Fines are poverty/class driven. The richer you are, the less the penalty hurts. 

I can't think of a better way (a way to make their votes not count for the day, or something?), but that's definitely a flaw in the rule.

VeykxuCagk_KwfAu4J_gq0riCv8=.gif

:mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

Send him back to mama, boys!

• DuffMan likes this

#6162 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 14 January 2021 - 10:26 AM

Not counting a vote for this type of violation would open another can of worms.

I would like to think the embarrassment of paying a 5k fine would be enough of a deterrent. ( Even if you are uber rich)

If you're a fan of the NFL or MLB, you can see how...ehhhh, maybe it's not enough of a deterrent.

• Old Man likes this

#6163 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,262 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 10:29 AM

If you're a fan of the NFL or MLB, you can see how...ehhhh, maybe it's not enough of a deterrent.

I hear you, but I'm probably putting too much emphasis on the embarrassment that such a fine should cause to an elected member of the legislative branch. It should have more effect than say, a 5k fine to an MLB player for his role in an on field brawl. I guess that's the sliver of idealism that is left in my cynical old ass.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#6164 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,546 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 January 2021 - 10:37 AM

I assume it's because of something they've uncovered in their investigation as to the involvement of members of congress last week.

#6165 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 10:48 AM

I assume it's because of something they've uncovered in their investigation as to the involvement of members of congress last week.

Or maybe, she is pushing her anti-nra agenda?

#6166 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,084 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 10:58 AM

Maybe I misread, but wasn't it the House and Senate sergeants-at-arms that decided on the new security measures and not any particular politician or party?

#6167 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,546 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 January 2021 - 11:08 AM

Maybe I misread, but wasn't it the House and Senate sergeants-at-arms that decided on the new security measures and not any particular politician or party?

That depends on if you're getting your news through real news sources, or Fox News.

• CantonJester likes this

#6168 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,084 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 11:17 AM

That depends on if you're getting your news through real news sources, or Fox News.

I usually go to Fox, CNN, and NPR. Try to filter out opinion based stuff. If I have time I always try to read multiple reports on the same topic and try to sort of mentally average out the biases.

I don't recall where I read or heard about who made the decision on having everyone go through the metal detectors though.

#6169 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 11:29 AM

Could be, my high school days are way long ago, but I thought the House Majority Leader was over top of both Sarge at arms position?

#6170 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,084 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 11:35 AM

Could be, my high school days are way long ago, but I thought the House Majority Leader was over top of both Sarge at arms position?

Yes, but sort of in the way that a Mayor is over the top of a Police Commissioner.  The Mayor isn't directly responsible for tactical decisions made by the Police Commissioner.

#6171 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,978 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 11:42 AM

I found this article that says the acting House sergeant-at-arms announced that metal detectors were being installed, although it doesn't really say who made the decision.

Additional security measures were put in place inside the Capitol. The acting House sergeant-at-arms announced that metal detectors were being installed outside the House Chamber and that even members would have to use them. The announcement said the precautions were being instituted to "ensure compliance with the Capitol Police Board regulations concerning firearms and incendiary devices, as well as to provide a safe and secure environment in which to conduct legislative business."

'Chilling': Security tightens around the Capitol ahead of Biden inauguration amid 'increased threat' (nbcnews.com)

#6172 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,262 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 12:23 PM

I found this article that says the acting House sergeant-at-arms announced that metal detectors were being installed, although it doesn't really say who made the decision.

'Chilling': Security tightens around the Capitol ahead of Biden inauguration amid 'increased threat' (nbcnews.com)

This makes sense.

The metal detectors may be tied into the heightened security in DC because of the riot last week and the impending inauguration next week. Obviously, the National Guard has been brought in because of the threats.

#6173 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,383 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 14 January 2021 - 12:26 PM

This makes sense.

The metal detectors are tied into the heightened security in DC because of the riot last week and the impenlding inauguration next week.

I mean I don't understand why these dumbasses are complaining about metal detectors being put in? It's not "infringing on their right to bare arms" because ITS ILLEGAL TO CARRY FIREARMS IN ANY GOV BUILDING, AND SPECIFICALLY THE CAPITOL BUILDING.

https://giffords.org...n-restrictions/

• You Play to Win the Game and russsnyder like this
@JeremyMStrain

#6174 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,702 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 12:27 PM

You actually think the installation of metal detectors at the entrances to the halls in Congress is because of a position one might have about the NRA?

This is the sort of shallow thinking that got us in this predicament. 

• You Play to Win the Game, Nigel Tufnel, RShack and 1 other like this

#6175 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,978 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 12:28 PM

I mean I don't understand why these dumbasses are complaining about metal detectors being put in? It's not "infringing on their right to bare arms" because ITS ILLEGAL TO CARRY FIREARMS IN ANY GOV BUILDING, AND SPECIFICALLY THE CAPITOL BUILDING.

The crazy thing is that they're actually allowed to have guns in their offices, just not on the House floor.

#6176 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,388 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 14 January 2021 - 01:04 PM

You would think that having a representative who was fined for something like would cast them in a negative light with their 

constituents. Unfortunately, it probably doesn't in a lot of cases.

One would hope, but being extremely pro guns and having a general "no one tells me what to do" attitude is a big reason why some of these people got elected in the first place.

• JeremyStrain, Nigel Tufnel, russsnyder and 1 other like this

#6177 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,388 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 14 January 2021 - 01:10 PM

I usually go to Fox, CNN, and NPR. Try to filter out opinion based stuff. If I have time I always try to read multiple reports on the same topic and try to sort of mentally average out the biases.

I don't recall where I read or heard about who made the decision on having everyone go through the metal detectors though.

It's great that you go through this sort of process to attempt to get to the truth, but part of the problem regarding media that got us to this point is that people think Fox and CNN are equally biased and reliable. The Fox website is better than the TV network, though. 

#6178 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,262 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 01:22 PM

I agree, I don't understand the negative backlash.

#6179 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,084 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 01:41 PM

It's great that you go through this sort of process to attempt to get to the truth, but part of the problem regarding media that got us to this point is that people think Fox and CNN are equally biased and reliable. The Fox website is better than the TV network, though. 

Certainly more eyerolls on Fox News than CNN.

Most of the time the actual content of the news articles isn't so bad.  It's the headlines and the curation of what stories to plaster at the top of their sites and which ones to bury that I think the bias really is obvious.  CNN is worse on headlines, IMO, you can really tell that they want the reader to go into the article with a certain mindset.  Fox is worse on curating, they're super slow with any story that looks bad for Republicans and usually leave it down in whatever the internet version of below the fold is once they get around to even mentioning it.  Fox also doesn't as clearly distinguish between opinion pieces and news pieces.

• Old Man likes this

#6180 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 01:11 PM

https://www.propubli...m_content=river

• The Epic likes this

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=