• Please log in to reply
1316 replies to this topic

#21 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,338 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:57 AM

Who is your favorite? Kentucky, 'Cuse, Ohio State, UNC? Someone else?

Yahoo Sports asked Florida's Billy Donovan to breakdown Kentucky, 'Cuse, and OSU (the Gators have faced all 3).
http://rivals.yahoo....favorite_020712

He seems to lean towards Kentucky being the most imposing team they have faced.

#22 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:38 PM

Is there any doubt who I'd say?

Im sticking with my Heels, though I've been so impressed with Syracuse, I wouldn't want to be the #2 seed in their region.
@beginthebegin71

#23 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:21 PM

Im sticking with my Heels, though I've been so impressed with Syracuse, I wouldn't want to be the #2 seed in their region.

Heels have a great chance but their guard play is suspect and they don't seem to bring it every night.

Just give Barnes the ball, especially in the low post.

I will be pretty surprised if the title doesn't go to UNC, Kentucky, Ohio St or Cuse.

I know upsets happen but those 4 teams seem to have a big gap in between them and the next tier.

I guess I should respect Mizzou more...but I don't.

#24 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:37 PM

Heels have a great chance but their guard play is suspect and they don't seem to bring it every night.

I will be pretty surprised if the title doesn't go to UNC, Kentucky, Ohio St or Cuse.

I know upsets happen but those 4 teams seem to have a big gap in between them and the next tier.

I'm not big on Ohio State, and for whatever reason, just don't love Sullinger that much. He's a nice player, but can he carry a team to a title? I think it's arguable that Buford is their most important piece.

Not buying Missouri either, even though their PG Kim English is a Randallstown High alum like I am. My buddy keeps telling me not to sleep on Kansas as a legit title contender, but I'm not so sure.
@beginthebegin71

#25 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:03 PM

Kentucky and Syracuse IMO are my favorites. Obviously, there are a handful of other teams that could also win it.

#26 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:25 PM

I'm not big on Ohio State, and for whatever reason, just don't love Sullinger that much. He's a nice player, but can he carry a team to a title? I think it's arguable that Buford is their most important piece.

Not buying Missouri either, even though their PG Kim English is a Randallstown High alum like I am. My buddy keeps telling me not to sleep on Kansas as a legit title contender, but I'm not so sure.

I could see Kansas because they have a good guard and can go inside...but will they be able to score enough consistently to win?

That's my issue with Kentucky...Will they shoot enough?

That's really why I do go back to UNC a lot...>The problem with them is depth. They need McAdoo, who is supposedly a top 5 pick, to really come on strong but their ability to score and defend when they want to should be enough for them to win.

#27 Brobey

Brobey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 561 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:56 PM

Who do you think has Butler/VCU potential this year?

Everything I read about Wichita State makes me think they are a lock for the Sweet 16 and have a good chance of going further, depending on their draw. (All juniors/seniors, great inside and outside game, metrics on both sides of the ball are great, won the NIT last year beating some name programs, etc).
@brobey1

#28 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:47 AM

Who do you think has Butler/VCU potential this year?

Everything I read about Wichita State makes me think they are a lock for the Sweet 16 and have a good chance of going further, depending on their draw. (All juniors/seniors, great inside and outside game, metrics on both sides of the ball are great, won the NIT last year beating some name programs, etc).

Yea, Wichita ST is a good one.

I heard Gottlieb say there are 6-7 potential teams like this.

Iona has a pro at PG and a few other very good college guys like MoMo Jones.

Weber St's PG, Williard, is potentially the first PG taken in the NBA draft this year.

#29 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,020 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:40 PM

I think this is the year that Calipari finally has just so much talent that even he can't prevent them from winning.

I could certainly see Syracuse or Carolina winning as well, but my money would be on Kentucky.

#30 Brobey

Brobey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 561 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:48 PM

I think, more than ever, the draw is going to be crucial to teams' success in the tournament this year.

Teams like Florida State and Virginia, could coast to the Sweet 16 if they get a favorable draw or go out in the first round...

This will be a very exciting NCAA tournament, and with the 8 worst teams fighting it out for the "16 seeds", I wouldn't be surprised to see a 15-2 upset this year and definitely expect at least 1 14-3 upset and wouldn't be shocked to see a couple 13-4 upsets.
@brobey1

#31 dandrews

dandrews
  • Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:31 PM

I really like Gonzaga this year. I can't put my finger on it, but every time I watch them it just seems like they're a team possible of making a run in the tournament.
@dandrews66

#32 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,338 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:09 PM

Rivals / Yahoo Sports: http://rivals.yahoo....ed_field_021512

No. 1s
1. Syracuse
2. Kentucky
3. Kansas
4. Missouri
Buzz: Syracuse is in line for just its second No. 1 seed since 1980. Before the season, there was some question as to whether Kentucky could win the SEC. Now the question is whether UK can finish 16-0 in the league.

No. 2s
5. Ohio State
6. Michigan State
7. Duke
8. North Carolina
Buzz: Ohio State still has games remaining against Michigan, Wisconsin and Michigan State, so the Buckeyes easily could play their way into a No. 1 seed. Duke has been a No. 1 or 2 seed in 13 of the past 15 tournaments.

No. 3s
9. Georgetown
10. Baylor
11. Marquette
12. Michigan
Buzz: Georgetown has five regular-season games left, and three are on the road. The same goes for Marquette, but one of the Golden Eagles’ remaining home games is against the Hoyas. If Michigan can beat visiting Ohio State on Saturday, the Wolverines have a legit shot at the Big Ten title.

No. 4s
13. Louisville
14. Florida
15. Wisconsin
16. UNLV
Buzz: Monday’s loss to Syracuse snapped Louisville’s six-game winning streak. Florida has a big game Saturday when it plays at Arkansas, which is unbeaten at home this season. Wisconsin plays at Michigan State on Thursday night.

No. 5s
17. Florida State
18. Temple
19. Saint Mary’s
20. Vanderbilt
Buzz: Florida State has won eight of its past nine going into Thursday night’s game with Virginia Tech. Temple is looking for its fifth consecutive NCAA bid. Vandy has lost three of its past four.

No. 6s
21. San Diego State
22. Indiana
23. Wichita State
24. Notre Dame
Buzz: Indiana has won four of its past five, and Wednesday’s win over Northwestern means this is the first time since 2007-08 that IU has won 20 games. Wichita State looks to have sewn up the Missouri Valley regular-season title. Notre Dame has won seven in a row after Wednesday’s rout of Rutgers; coincidentally, the Irish’s last loss came Jan. 16 at Rutgers.

No. 7s
25. Gonzaga
26. Southern Miss
27. Creighton
28. Virginia
Buzz: Creighton has lost three of four, and its hopes for a Missouri Valley regular-season title basically are gone.

No. 8s
29. Murray State
30. West Virginia
31. New Mexico
32. Memphis
Buzz: Murray State suffered its first loss last week, falling at home to Tennessee State. The Racers have a tough one Saturday when Saint Mary’s visits in a BracketBusters game. WVU has lost five of its past six, and its seeding is taking a beating.

No. 9s
33. Connecticut
34. Mississippi State
35. Saint Louis
36. Xavier
Buzz: UConn got a much-needed win Wednesday night by ripping DePaul. A victory Saturday against visiting Marquette, though, actually would gain some notice. Mississippi State has dropped two in a row, and to Georgia and LSU; that’s not the way to impress the selection committee.

No. 10s
37. Harvard
38. Iowa State
39. Purdue
40. California
Buzz: Harvard hasn’t been to the NCAA tourney since 1946. California has a big game Thursday night against visiting Oregon.

No. 11s
41. N.C. State
42. Illinois
43. Kansas State
44. Seton Hall
Buzz: K-State has lost four of six and its next two games are at Baylor and at Missouri. Seton Hall has won three in a row, which comes on the heels of a six-game losing streak. The Pirates have a big game Saturday at Cincinnati.

No. 12s
45. BYU
46. Miami
47. Alabama
48. Texas
49. Northwestern
50. Cincinnati
Buzz: BYU is seeking its sixth consecutive NCAA bid. But as with the rest of the teams grouped here, the Cougars still have some work to do to nail down a bid. The others at this spot, though, have more work than BYU.

No. 13s
51. Long Beach State*
52. Middle Tennessee*
53. Nevada*
54. Oral Roberts*
Buzz: Long Beach State has won 15 of its past 16 and is unbeaten in the Big West. Nevada is looking for its first NCAA bid since 2007. Oral Roberts clinched the Summit League regular-season title Wednesday night.

No. 14s
55. Iona*
56. Drexel*
57. Akron*
58. Valparaiso*
Buzz: Drexel is tied with George Mason for the Colonial lead, but the Dragons won the lone regular-season meeting. Akron has won eight in a row to take control of the MAC race, and the Zips play at Oral Roberts on Saturday in a BracketBusters game. Bryce Drew-coached Valparaiso owns a one-game lead over Cleveland State in the Horizon race and swept the season series with the Vikings.

No. 15s
59. Davidson*
60. Belmont*
61. Weber State*
62. Bucknell*
Buzz: Davidson has a tough game Saturday when it plays host to Wichita State for a BracketBusters affair. Bucknell is unbeaten in the Patriot League and has a three-game lead with four games left.

No. 16s
63. Long Island*
64. Norfolk State*
65. UNC Asheville*
66. UT Arlington*
67. Miss. Valley St.*
68. Stony Brook*
Buzz: Remember that a 68-team field means four conference champs are going to end up in play-in games. UNC Asheville already has clinched the Big South regular-season title, which means it will play all its league tourney games at home. Mississippi Valley is unbeaten in the SWAC and has a four-game lead with five games remaining.

Breakdown by league

9: Big East
8: Big Ten
6: ACC, Big 12
5: SEC
3: Atlantic 10, Mountain West, West Coast
2: Conference USA, Missouri Valley
1: America East, Atlantic Sun, Big Sky, Big South, Big West, Colonial, Horizon, Ivy, Metro Atlantic, Mid-American, Mid-Eastern Athletic, Northeast, Ohio Valley, Pac-12, Patriot, Southern, Southland, Summit, Sun Belt, Southwestern Athletic, Western Athletic (21)

#33 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,338 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:12 PM

Rivals / Yahoo 2/13: http://rivals.yahoo...._stretch_021312

#34 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,464 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:43 AM

I pretty much always root for Duke to lose, but I'm not going to lie, there is something satisfying about watching NC State pull off one of their patented choke jobs.

#35 Brobey

Brobey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 561 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:00 AM

I really like Gonzaga this year. I can't put my finger on it, but every time I watch them it just seems like they're a team possible of making a run in the tournament.

Yeah, I know St. Mary's has received all the pub this year, but I think Gonzaga's inside game really provides them a chance to make a run in the tournament.
@brobey1

#36 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:32 AM

I see Seth Davis has said that he will have Wichita St in his final 4, as of right now.

According to kenpom.com, they are 9th in offensive effeciency and 23rd in defensive efficiency...He has them 9th overall.

He also has St Louis 10th, on the strength of a very good defense.

New Mexico is 11th and Belmont is 26th.

#37 Brobey

Brobey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 561 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:19 PM

I see Seth Davis has said that he will have Wichita St in his final 4, as of right now.

According to kenpom.com, they are 9th in offensive effeciency and 23rd in defensive efficiency...He has them 9th overall.

I'm a huge fan of Wichita State...I went back and watched some highlights from their game and they have the exact same package (if not better) as VCU/George Mason in the years they made their runs.
@brobey1

#38 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:41 PM

I'm a huge fan of Wichita State...I went back and watched some highlights from their game and they have the exact same package (if not better) as VCU/George Mason in the years they made their runs.

Winning by at 20 at Creighton is one of the best wins of the year, by any team.

#39 Brobey

Brobey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 561 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:44 PM

Winning by at 20 at Creighton is one of the best wins of the year, by any team.

I agree...based on where they're at today, barring an unforeseen injury, what seed do you think they end up with? I'm thinking somewhere in the 5-7 range.
@brobey1

#40 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:36 PM

[/quote]

I agree...based on where they're at today, barring an unforeseen injury, what seed do you think they end up with? I'm thinking somewhere in the 5-7 range.[/quote]
I see Lunardi has them on the 6 line...A 6 or 7 sounds right to me.

They don't have a great OOC resume. They did beat UNLV, which is a solid win. But they had losses to Alabama(when they were ranked 15th) and Temple...not to mention a loss at home to Creighton.

The game at Davidson tomorrow will be a big game for them IMO. Davidson is a solid mid major program and they have won 20 games this year. Going into Davidson and winning would be a nice little resume building win.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=