#41 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 February 2020 - 09:44 AM

Thorne used to be good. Really good. He was really good when the O’s got him. The last couples years he’s been off his game though. I wonder at times what games he’s watching, and what team he’s actually rooting for.

As awesome as it must be to get paid to attend baseball games every day and sit in a great seat - it's still gotta be somewhat painful to call games for such a horrendously terrible team. Hard to blame him for a lack of engagement lately. I felt he was sharper when the O's were good.

• fishteacher, sandiegosean and makoman like this

#42 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 09:46 AM

As awesome as it must be to get paid to attend baseball games every day and sit in a great seat - it's still gotta be somewhat painful to call games for such a horrendously terrible team. Hard to blame him for a lack of engagement lately. I felt he was sharper when the O's were good.

True. I’d be half in the bag by May, Harry Doyle style, if I had to sit this nightly.
  • fishteacher likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#43 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 February 2020 - 09:59 AM

First MASN game is this Sunday vs. the Red Sox. I'm going to try and watch a little of that game, especially in hopes that Rutschman will play. 

That said, I cut the chord and use Fubo.TV which of course doesn't have MASN. Does anyone know if the ole VPN trick/MLB.TV works on an iPad? PM me if you don't want to share here. 

• fishteacher likes this

#44 Dr. FLK

Dr. FLK

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 10:08 AM

True. I’d be half in the bag by May, Harry Doyle style, if I had to sit this nightly.

Who we really need...is Brokmire.

• BSLChrisStoner, DJ MC, fishteacher and 2 others like this

#45 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 February 2020 - 10:08 AM

It's kind of funny - I would think that of many people you would be one that this wouldn't matter to so much. You have a high opinion of your knowledge of baseball. And I don't mean that as insult, because you should! You're a bright guy - so why do you need the PBP guy to tell you what you can see for yourself? Just seems odd to me. Like I said, I wouldn't want Thorne doing radio, because I wouldn't be able to trust what he was telling me, which is of utmost importance when I can't see it myself.

Like I said earlier, I really don’t care a lot about it. I’ll comment but it’s not a big deal to me.

My point isn’t as much against Thorne as it is I don’t get why the fans put him on a pedestal as if he is so great. To be considered that good, I think you should at least know the game better than he does.
  • glenn__davis likes this

#46 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 February 2020 - 10:09 AM

First MASN game is this Sunday vs. the Red Sox. I'm going to try and watch a little of that game, especially in hopes that Rutschman will play.

That said, I cut the chord and use Fubo.TV which of course doesn't have MASN. Does anyone know if the ole VPN trick/MLB.TV works on an iPad? PM me if you don't want to share here.

Ask McNulty.

#47 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 21 February 2020 - 10:26 AM

Ipad has a lot of free vpns. Just download one of them and you’ll be all set. Turn on the vpn to an out of market location, open the game, once it verifies your location, turn off the vpn. Gtg

Also for spring training there is no blackout.
  • You Play to Win the Game, BobPhelan and fishteacher like this

@fuzydunlop

#48 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,825 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 10:37 AM

I think Thorne brings out a funner side of Palmer. His schtick gets grating with someone like Bordick who won't engage, but Palmer interacts with him in a way I find enjoyable. I strongly prefer him to all of our recent play-by-play alternatives.

If I was King, Palmer and McDonald would call games together. No traditional play-by-play, Palmer can handle the production type stuff and otherwise those two just riff on the game they're watching.
  • Adam Wolff, Hooded Viper, DJ MC and 1 other like this

#49 CMU82

CMU82
  • Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 02:44 PM

Heard this a long time ago, and it is very true:  'as far as baseball is concerned, Thorne is a great hockey announcer'.

Will chime in more later, but when I moved here in 2000, I loved listening to Garceau and Tom Matte do Ravens games.  Even had a gizmo to sync the radio and TV broadcasts to match.  I think I'm going to enjoy actually listening to some television broadcasts.  Now, if Palmer would just cut the length of his stories in half, or not talk over a full count pitch with two outs in the eighth or ninth inning of a rare tight game, I'd enjoy listening to him as well.

#50 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 February 2020 - 03:07 PM

Heard this a long time ago, and it is very true:  'as far as baseball is concerned, Thorne is a great hockey announcer'.

Will chime in more later, but when I moved here in 2000, I loved listening to Garceau and Tom Matte do Ravens games.  Even had a gizmo to sync the radio and TV broadcasts to match.  I think I'm going to enjoy actually listening to some television broadcasts.  Now, if Palmer would just cut the length of his stories in half, or not talk over a full count pitch with two outs in the eighth or ninth inning of a rare tight game, I'd enjoy listening to him as well.

I am not a hockey guy and have never heard him do a game, but does he pronounce any of those names correctly.  The guy can not even get Richie Sexson or Ian Kinsler correct, how does he get any of the hockey names.

@mikeghg

#51 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 27 February 2020 - 03:34 PM

I am not a hockey guy and have never heard him do a game, but does he pronounce any of those names correctly.  The guy can not even get Richie Sexson or Ian Kinsler correct, how does he get any of the hockey names.

I haven't payed attention to hockey in 10 years or so. But back when I followed the sport, Thorne was a good play by play guy. I don't remember him having any trouble with the names of the players. Maybe he follows hockey closely and just knows how to pronounce the names. 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#52 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 February 2020 - 03:45 PM

I haven't payed attention to hockey in 10 years or so. But back when I followed the sport, Thorne was a good play by play guy. I don't remember him having any trouble with the names of the players. Maybe he follows hockey closely and just knows how to pronounce the names. 

It is funny listening to him mangle, even the easy names.  One of my biggest complaints is he does not do his homework, other than on the Red Sox and Yankees.  Not paying attention to the names is just one of the problems

@mikeghg

#53 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 27 February 2020 - 04:10 PM

It is funny listening to him mangle, even the easy names.  One of my biggest complaints is he does not do his homework, other than on the Red Sox and Yankees.  Not paying attention to the names is just one of the problems

He may not be cut out for calling slow paced sports. Maybe his mind wanders. But his attention to detail for NY & Bos kind of falls in line with my thoughts that he is better at hockey, because he really follows the sport. We know he's a Sox fan, so by extension, he's going to know who the Yankees players are. 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#54 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts

Posted 01 March 2020 - 06:15 PM

Listened to the new, main, radio play by play guy today, and wasn't impressed.  Now, I know it is early but he had little enthusiasm, very monotone, and called a game like Fred Manfra, without the awesome voice.  You could literally hear the crowd tell you if the play was made in the outfield or not before his long, drawn out description of the play was finished.  Hopefully that was just jitters but...

#55 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 01 March 2020 - 09:55 PM

Only listened to the last inning and he seemed to perk up, when the Orioles brought in, whoever got the save.  I think the maybe he feels more connected to the younger guys.

@mikeghg

#56 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,153 posts

Posted 01 March 2020 - 10:08 PM

Heard Brown and McDonald together Saturday and thought they worked well together.
  • sandiegosean likes this

#57 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 01 March 2020 - 10:17 PM

Heard Brown and McDonald together Saturday and thought they worked well together.

I believe he was with Bordy today, and Mike talks a lot on the radio, sometimes over the top of the PBP guy.

@mikeghg

#58 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 02 March 2020 - 01:59 PM

Nice guy or not, Garceau is brutal. Put on some music instead.

@fuzydunlop

#59 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 March 2020 - 09:53 AM

I listened to a few innings of Melanie Newman on 105.7 today.  She has some work to do.  I am not sure, that with all the broadcasters, they have doing games any of them will get in a rhythm and develop into a solid option.

@mikeghg

#60 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 06 March 2020 - 02:40 PM

Last day for Scott and Jeremy today.  They are going out in style.  Many people calling in, including one of the nicest people ever.  The old third baseman #5 Brooks Robinson.

@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=