#1 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 19 February 2020 - 08:35 PM

Scott Garceau returning to do Orioles games on MASN.  He was very good years ago, working with Brooks.

https://www.masnspor...020-season.html

Other new hires, too.

Jim Hunter off the radio and TV team.

Thorne survives.  Ugh

@mikeghg

#2 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 19 February 2020 - 08:36 PM

Scott seemed very excited to have gotten the call from the Orioles.

He is leaving his show on 105.7.  

@mikeghg

#3 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 09:44 PM

Good for Garceau. Other than being a Packers fan, he is Baltimore through and through. I love guys like him, Bruce Cunningham, Keith Mills, who’s ties to the area show through. Remembered him as a kid with Brooks.

Won’t miss Hunter.
  • glenn__davis and sandiegosean like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#4 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 19 February 2020 - 09:47 PM

Good for Garceau. Other than being a Packers fan, he is Baltimore through and through. I love guys like him, Bruce Cunningham, Keith Mills, who’s ties to the area show through. Remembered him as a kid with Brooks.

Won’t miss Hunter.

Garceau is a pro.  I wish he could do all 162.  

I would have sent Thorne to the same room as Hunter.

It will be interesting to see what they have Hunter do.  Not really a big fan but he has been a loyal worker for the Orioles for a long while.

@mikeghg

#5 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,567 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 07:26 AM

Glad Hunter is gone. No hard feelings but he just wasn’t a good presence on TV or the radio, especially when the team is horrible. 

I don’t really care for Thorne either especially when he cornholes in Red Sox updates when we play the Indians or Blue Jays or As or Angles or Rays or Yankees. 

they should stick him in the booth with Dempsey and give them an open bar. If the team stinks let’s at least have some fun. 

• Mike B likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#6 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 20 February 2020 - 08:16 AM

I know Thorne has a lot of fans, but he makes me turn off the game almost as much as the lousy baseball does.

@mikeghg

#7 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,567 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 09:17 AM

Is Baltimore unable to produce a play-by-play guy?

In the last 20 years we've had Reghi who was from Cleveland (or somewhere in the mid-west) Hunter who was from NJ and Thorne who is from Maine. Buck Martinez was from California.

It would be nice to get in someone who truly does bleed orange and black and doesn't need to be paid to.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#8 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 20 February 2020 - 09:49 AM

Jim Hunter bleeds Orange and Black.  I am not sure where he was born, but pretty sure he lives in Fallston year round.

@mikeghg

#9 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 20 February 2020 - 09:54 AM

In the last 20 years we've had Reghi who was from Cleveland (or somewhere in the mid-west) Hunter who was from NJ and Thorne who is from Maine. Buck Martinez was from California.

It would be nice to get in someone who truly does bleed orange and black and doesn't need to be paid to.

This is the attitude that lost us Jon Miller.

• fishteacher likes this
@DJ_McCann

#10 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 20 February 2020 - 09:55 AM

Hunter seems like a good guy, but there's something frustrating about hearing someone seemingly giddy over the swing on a foul ball hit by a guy batting .220 on a 100 loss team. Good life qualities, not my cup of tea for announcers.

Thorne and Palmer is good by me. Ben is great, too, so the more they can do with him, the better. 

Scott Garceau was before my time, but seems to be a pretty universally applauded move from everything I've seen, so good for him.

• BobPhelan likes this

@AdamWolff

#11 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 20 February 2020 - 09:56 AM

Your question is a good one.  I am to lazy to research it, but I would guess that most of the professional sports teams have play by play guys from outside the area.  I suspect, that broadcasting is a lot like baseball.  Young candidates come out of school and start at the low levels.  As they become more proficient and recognized. they get opportunities. but the timing would need to be perfect for that job to line up with the team from their hometown.

@mikeghg

#12 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,567 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 09:57 AM

This is the attitude that lost us Jon Miller.

It depends which perspective you're talking about. Angelos wanted a homer mercenary. That's how we got Hunter. I want a play by play guy who is more like Palmer. I don't want terrible baseball to be sugarcoated and for the PBP guy to be talking about Xander Bogearts when we're playing the Twins.

• Mike B likes this

#13 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 20 February 2020 - 10:00 AM

Hunter seems like a good guy, but there's something frustrating about hearing someone seemingly giddy over the swing on a foul ball hit by a guy batting .220 on a 100 loss team. Good life qualities, not my cup of tea for announcers.

Thorne and Palmer is good by me. Ben is great, too, so the more they can do with him, the better. 

Scott Garceau was before my time, but seems to be a pretty universally applauded move from everything I've seen, so good for him.

I believe, that after Scott has time to re-adapt to play by play, he will make many realize how poorly prepared Thorne is for every game.

@mikeghg

#14 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 20 February 2020 - 10:11 AM

Nicest guy you'd ever want to meet. 

• Adam Wolff likes this
@beginthebegin71

#15 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 10:19 AM

I believe, that after Scott has time to re-adapt to play by play, he will make many realize how poorly prepared Thorne is for every game.

I'm not all that sure how important that is.  I mean, Jim Hunter was always prepared.

#16 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 20 February 2020 - 10:25 AM

I'm not all that sure how important that is.  I mean, Jim Hunter was always prepared.

My issue with Thorne is all the mistakes he makes during the game, such as wrong pronunciation of names, missing plays etc.  He is always prepared with his Red Sox facts to bore us every damn game. 

To me, it is important, I guess, it is what you prefer.

I have to admit, when I heard Scott was going to do Oriole games, my hope was that he was replacing Thorne.

• NewMarketSean likes this
@mikeghg

#17 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 11:05 AM

Haven’t seen you in a while. Hope you’re doing well.
  • Adam Wolff likes this

#18 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 01:19 PM

Jim Hunter was the Orioles version of Baghdad Bob. Could not stand listening to him speak. Glad he's out of the booth. That said, I don't see Garceau bringing much more honesty or credibility to the broadcast booth. Pretty sure he'll maintain the status quo in Hunter's absence. Hope I'm wrong.

Plus Weinman now moves in to the afternoon drive in Garceau's spot... so that's pretty much killing the evening drive home for me.

#19 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 February 2020 - 01:36 PM

Garceau will be a step down.

Hunter, once you get through all the homerism, was a solid play by play guy.

Garceau is “one of us” though. Been around forever, so let him have the job.

#20 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 20 February 2020 - 02:20 PM

Jim Hunter was the Orioles version of Baghdad Bob. Could not stand listening to him speak. Glad he's out of the booth. That said, I don't see Garceau bringing much more honesty or credibility to the broadcast booth. Pretty sure he'll maintain the status quo in Hunter's absence. Hope I'm wrong.

Plus Weinman now moves in to the afternoon drive in Garceau's spot... so that's pretty much killing the evening drive home for me.

Weinman and Jeremy? That's a terrible duo. They'll spend the whole show trying to out funny the other guy. Jeremy benefited from SG holding his leash, and not letting him go completely off the rails. KW will only inspire him to go faster down the mountain. 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=