Photo

College Football 2020: General Talk (Alabama Wins Title)

• Please log in to reply
739 replies to this topic

#41 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,405 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 14 April 2020 - 01:39 AM

Saturday Down South: Chris Fowler believes 2020 CFB season will be played, shares “informed speculation” regarding potential start dates

#42 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,072 posts

Posted 14 April 2020 - 07:10 AM

Saturday Down South: Chris Fowler believes 2020 CFB season will be played, shares “informed speculation” regarding potential start dates

This sounds likely to me.  Maybe the XFL was hearing the same.  
Could be a quiet Fall, and an interesting Spring. 

#43 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,250 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 14 April 2020 - 07:12 AM

I see one major flaw with the spring season in this article.

The concern raised with the start in November option was that some feel there will be another wave of the virus when it turns cold in the northern states and you'd have to shut down the season after it had already started. For sake of this discussion lets assume that is a valid concern.

Well then I hate to tell him this but starting in February has the exact same issue. IF cold weather is a trigger then the northern states are hardly out of that window until at least March. Shoot the temperature at my Idaho home right now is 24 degrees.

#44 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,072 posts

Posted 14 April 2020 - 07:44 AM

I see one major flaw with the spring season in this article.

The concern raised with the start in November option was that some feel there will be another wave of the virus when it turns cold in the northern states and you'd have to shut down the season after it had already started. For sake of this discussion lets assume that is a valid concern.

Well then I hate to tell him this but starting in February has the exact same issue. IF cold weather is a trigger then the northern states are hardly out of that window until at least March. Shoot the temperature at my Idaho home right now is 24 degrees.

The thought is that a vaccine is 12-18 months away. Next Spring gets you closer to that. At-least a chance there is a vaccine at that time.

#45 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,072 posts

Posted 15 April 2020 - 04:27 PM

IMS: CFP committee reveals details from call with VP Mike Pence
https://247sports.co...l1ITWDR7rFihfwc

#46 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,542 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 15 April 2020 - 05:27 PM

Do we think college campuses will be open come fall?

If not kiss this CFB season goodbye.  Or at least expect a long delay.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#47 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,072 posts

Posted 15 April 2020 - 05:31 PM

Opened, and then closed. 

#48 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,405 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 01:35 PM

I think it's very possible campuses are still closed in the fall. I've read that many colleges are at least planning for the possibility. That said, I'm not convinced they would entirely scrap the idea of playing games in the fall in empty stadiums. A lot will depend on how much clearer our knowledge of COVID-19 is, and the timeframe on a vaccine.

Just spitballing: Let's say college football does not play in the fall, but the NFL does go forward with its season, with or without fans in attendance. Would the NFL try to schedule games to be played on Saturdays fill the CFB void, as well as Sundays? It would take Congress to make it happen....they would have to give the NFL a one-time waiver of the Sports Broadcasting Act, which for all intents and purposes prohibits the NFL from playing games on Fridays and Saturdays from Sep-Nov (although there is currently a challenge to that law already being reviewed by SCOTUS). But under that scenario I would think a one-year waiver would have large bi-partisan support.

#49 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,542 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 04:55 PM

I think it's very possible campuses are still closed in the fall. I've read that many colleges are at least planning for the possibility. That said, I'm not convinced they would entirely scrap the idea of playing games in the fall in empty stadiums. A lot will depend on how much clearer our knowledge of COVID-19 is, and the timeframe on a vaccine.

Just spitballing: Let's say college football does not play in the fall, but the NFL does go forward with its season, with or without fans in attendance. Would the NFL try to schedule games to be played on Saturdays fill the CFB void, as well as Sundays? It would take Congress to make it happen....they would have to give the NFL a one-time waiver of the Sports Broadcasting Act, which for all intents and purposes prohibits the NFL from playing games on Fridays and Saturdays from Sep-Nov (although there is currently a challenge to that law already being reviewed by SCOTUS). But under that scenario I would think a one-year waiver would have large bi-partisan support.

Lol, I was thinking about this very thing this morning.  I think they would do whatever they can do get games on Thursday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday.  EVERYONE will watch. 

@bopper33

#50 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,542 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 04:56 PM

And, yes, any member of Congress that is strongly against this would have to deal with a lot of brushback I would think. 

@bopper33

#51 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,542 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 04:57 PM

"CBS Sports Presents...FRIDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL"

Why not?

@bopper33

#52 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 April 2020 - 05:28 PM

There was a good conversation on Get Up this morning.

First of all, there are a lot of things to consider. If football isn’t played, that could kill other athletic programs in the schools.

Also, you have to consider what happens if you push the schedule back.

A lot of people are against no fans in the stands for college games because they feel that’s so important for the college game. That the whole atmosphere is bigger than the game itself.

They also said you have to worry about postponing it to much because of the effect on the other sports, especially basketball.

So many issues.

#53 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,542 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 05:53 PM

Take a look at Maryland.  Now obviously their football program isn't the cash cow that, say, LSU or Georgia is, but it is the #1 revenue generator at the school.  Also, they're relying on that $$$ from the Big 10 (the whole reason we moved because the athletic dept isn't doing well financially). What happens to that money if Big 10 football isn't played this year?

Cincinnati already cut their men's soccer program.  We could see a lot more of this. 

@bopper33

#54 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,250 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 16 April 2020 - 07:59 PM

Sports is an aside but it could be the straw that breaks the camels back. At some point the masses are going to say screw it I'll take my chances. 

#55 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,405 posts

Posted 18 April 2020 - 02:53 PM

Saturday Down South: The gig is up. The NCAA knows it, and there's only one solution

In case anyone is wondering why schools are saying they will not play any football unless students are on campus and able to attend games.

(Hint: it's not because they think the "atmosphere" is an essential part of CFB)

#56 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,072 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 08:23 AM

CBS Sports: How college football will address its most difficult undertaking yet: safely starting the 2020 season
https://www.cbssport...he-2020-season/

#57 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,405 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 05:08 PM

Stadium: 99% of FBS ADs believe we'll have college football this season

114 of 130 ADs responded.

Only about one-quarter of them believe the season will start as scheduled.

#58 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,754 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 05:24 PM

What a pointless poll.

#59 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,072 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 01:26 PM

CBS Sports: 

Predicting SEC win totals: Alabama to return to the top of the conference in the 2020 college football season
https://www.cbssport...ootball-season/

Predicting ACC win totals: Clemson should cruise again in 2020 college football season

Big 12

Big Ten

Pac 12

https://www.cbssport...nge-oregon-usc/

#60 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 May 2020 - 09:55 AM

The ramifications if they don’t play CFB are going to be massive for college sports and the universities. It’s going to be interesting to see how this plays out.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)

Our Sponsors

width=