Photo

College Football 2020: General Talk (Alabama Wins Title)

• Please log in to reply
739 replies to this topic

#21 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,680 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 06:00 PM

CBS Sports: The 10 college football games that will define the 2021 national championship race
https://www.cbssport...mpionship-race/

#22 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,273 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 26 March 2020 - 06:13 PM

CBS Sports: The 10 college football games that will define the 2021 national championship race
https://www.cbssport...mpionship-race/

I have to wonder how much basic research this author did, particularly when he writes this about OSU vs Oregon:

The Ducks have the strongest offensive line in the country heading into the season,...

Um, the Ducks head into the season having lost 4 of 5 starters from last season. I know the one returner, Penei Sewell, might be the best OL in the country, but OL is a unit that thrives on teamwork and continuity. A unit with 4 new starters, plus no benefit from cancelled spring practices, can't possibly be the best there is in college football.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#23 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,429 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 26 March 2020 - 06:16 PM

I have to wonder how much basic research this author did, particularly when he writes this about OSU vs Oregon:

Um, the Ducks head into the season having lost 4 of 5 starters from last season. I know the one returner, Penei Sewell, might be the best OL in the country, but OL is a unit that thrives on teamwork and continuity. A unit with 4 new starters, plus no benefit from cancelled spring practices, can't possibly be the best there is in college football.

I went to the Oregon Washington game last year.

Lots of weed in the stands lol

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#24 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,273 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 06:19 PM

I went to the Oregon Washington game last year.

Lots of weed in the stands lol

The Ducks might need the fans in attendance to do a massive exhale in the direction of the Ohio St bench if they're to have a decent shot of winning that game.

#25 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,273 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:00 PM

BSL: College Football in the Age of COVID-19, Part II

Discussion about what a potentially abbreviated season might look like.

#26 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,680 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 06:55 PM

College Football News: 20 for 2020 Offseason Topics
20. Best Teams To Not Make CFP
19: Teams That Will Rebound Big
18. Teams That Will Fall Back
17: Every Power 5 Team’s Letdown Game
16. Top 5 Instant Impact New Head Coaches
15. 2nd Year Coaches Who’ll Be Better
14. Power 5 Hot Seat Coach Rankings
13. Key Transfers You Forgot About
12. Five Big Power 5 Upset Alerts
11. Great Players About To Go Nuclear
10. Group of 5 Teams In New Year’s Six Chase
9. Power 5 Sleeper Teams
8. Most Interesting Quarterback Battles
7. 5 Teams That Might Disappoint
6. 5 Teams That Might Surprise
5. Group of Five Conference Ranking

No. 4. How do the college football Power Five conferences – ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12, SEC – rank in the offseason?

https://collegefootb...son-topics-no-4

#27 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,052 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 01 April 2020 - 08:45 AM

Discussing this on the Boise State board and one poster had a really good question. One to which I have no idea who this will shake out. And while his question was specific to BSU it really applies to all the non blue blood programs.

Under pretty much any scenario attendance this fall is going to be down.

1. Its been trending down already.

2. Many people are just not going to be ready to congregate in the tight quarters of sporting events for awhile. If you have a large population area to draw from then this is less of an issue. But in a place like Boise they have the Treasure Valley population but outside that immediate area they don't have much else to draw on. Shoot when I had season tickets I lived 280 miles away. That's a decent drive 6 times a fall.

3. If the season is reduced at all then that lowers the money they bring in even further.

So the question is how do these schools handle the loss in revenue? The coaches and staff still have to be paid. The scholarships still have to be honored (now that is an assumption on my part). This is a huge chunk of change for a smaller program. 

#28 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,273 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 11:54 AM

So the question is how do these schools handle the loss in revenue? The coaches and staff still have to be paid. The scholarships still have to be honored (now that is an assumption on my part). This is a huge chunk of change for a smaller program. 

A lot of higher-ed schools in general, athletics aside, will probably be having financial issues from all this. Schools that operate on a semester calendar might be okay for the time being, as they mostly began classes in January before social distancing requirements went into effect, and thus probably had fuller classrooms. (though their fall enrollments could be down) Schools that go on a quarterly system have almost certainly seen their enrollments plummet for the spring session, most of which just began. I wouldn't be surprised if in the next federal stimulus package (assuming there is one) that we hear a lot of discussion about colleges and universities needing a lot of money to stay open. (before this even started we were seeing a significant wave of small private colleges closing down)

Back to football/athletics:

Lots of athletics programs have operated at a deficit at one time or another, some even doing so consistently. How they make up for that often depends on the laws of their state (assuming it's a public school). In the case of UM, they've had to borrow money from the university's general funds numerous times in the past, money they're still paying back with their new Big Ten revenues. That's because MD state law says university general funds cannot subsidize athletics. Other states do allow those subsidies. Some schools make up athletics deficits, at least in part, by raising the "activities fee" in students' tuition.

I'm sure any federal stimulus that colleges and universities would hypothetically receive would come with the condition that none of that money goes to athletics (no Congress-creature wants to sign off on trillions of federal dollars going to help pay Nick Saban and Dabo Swinney their millions).

As you point out, this is really going to shake out differently for G5 schools versus Power 5. Power 5 conferences get far, far more money from TV, so as long as they play the games the big conference checks will still come. That's not to say empty stadiums won't hurt Power 5 schools....it'll still be a big number, but a much smaller percentage of their overall revenues versus the G5 schools. The G5 will likely have to get much more creative in how they plug those losses. And the solutions will most likely vary from school-to-school.

#29 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,273 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 02:45 PM

This is not football-related (pertains to spring sports athletes who were just granted an extra year of eligibility). But it's in line with discussion of how the COVID-19 pandemic is going to have a ripple effect throughout college athletics, effects that will continue for quite some time after the pandemic has subsided.

LA Times: Mid-major schools have financial concerns after NCAA gives spring athletes extra year

This one is somewhat football-related, discussing the possibility of fall sports seasons being cancelled, and what could happen to college football if 2020 seniors are also granted one more year of eligibility.

AL.com: NCAA eligibility ruling raises questions about future, football

#30 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,680 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 08:08 AM

ESPN: Lane Kiffin, Mike Leach and the wild state of Mississippi football

https://www.espn.com...ssippi-football

#31 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,273 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 12:50 PM

CBSSports.com: College sports' bleak financial future in wake of coronavirus pandemic apparent in AD survey

An overwhelming 86 percent of ADs believe their universities will require their athletic departments to make "financial sacrifices" because of the crisis. 

Over one-third of ADs forecast at least a 30 percent decrease in revenue for the upcoming 2020-21 academic year. That compares to only 8 percent in that category for the current fiscal year ending June 30.

All of it hints at a possible future that includes cutting sports, slashing salaries, laying off staff and weighing ability to fully funding existing sports if finances become too tight.

#32 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,342 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 April 2020 - 01:31 PM

Well, they've got one big thing going for them... unpaid labor.

#33 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,680 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 07:58 PM

SI: Mike Gundy's Pandemic Plan Is Ridiculous
https://www.si.com/c...ments-dangerous

#34 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,273 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 03:09 PM

SI: Mike Gundy's Pandemic Plan Is Ridiculous
https://www.si.com/c...ments-dangerous

Yahoo! Sports: Mike Gundy's tone-deaf rant shows why he's never leaving OK State

#35 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,680 posts

Posted 09 April 2020 - 08:36 AM

CBS Sports: Will there ever be another Ed Orgeron? Ole Miss' Lane Kiffin might be the closest facsimile
https://www.cbssport...sest-facsimile/

#36 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,273 posts

Posted 09 April 2020 - 11:08 AM

OregonLive/John Canzano: College football coronavirus contingencies include possibility of no 2020 season

He gives 5 versions of what might happen based on conversations with several Power 5 ADs.

#37 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,052 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 10 April 2020 - 08:19 AM

I'd like to see how they think a Version D could work? Start and run a full season in March 2021 would mean that they would play thru June. How would TV work for that? Look at the conflicts - March Madness, NBA and NHL playoffs, MLB, MLS, all European soccer. I don't see how this would be possible at all. What I was surprised is that they didn't have a full delayed season option. Such as starting in November and running through February. Oh that's right its winter. The southern fans would love that....lol. Love to see the SEC teams have to go up North at that time of year!

#38 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,273 posts

Posted 10 April 2020 - 11:28 AM

I'd like to see how they think a Version D could work? Start and run a full season in March 2021 would mean that they would play thru June. How would TV work for that? Look at the conflicts - March Madness, NBA and NHL playoffs, MLB, MLS, all European soccer. I don't see how this would be possible at all. What I was surprised is that they didn't have a full delayed season option. Such as starting in November and running through February. Oh that's right its winter. The southern fans would love that....lol. Love to see the SEC teams have to go up North at that time of year!

Starting in November means they have to go head-to-head with the NFL playoffs on two Saturdays during the most crucial part of the college football season. I almost think they'd rather take their chances against all those other events you listed.

Just spitballing, but if it where to happen that they play football in the spring, I wonder if they would try to change the Final Four so that the men play on Friday and Sunday to avoid going against football games on Saturday?

As for your SEC point....when the hell do any of them ever play up north to begin with?

#39 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,052 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 11 April 2020 - 08:38 AM

Starting in November means they have to go head-to-head with the NFL playoffs on two Saturdays during the most crucial part of the college football season. I almost think they'd rather take their chances against all those other events you listed.

Just spitballing, but if it where to happen that they play football in the spring, I wonder if they would try to change the Final Four so that the men play on Friday and Sunday to avoid going against football games on Saturday?

As for your SEC point....when the hell do any of them ever play up north to begin with?

Ding ding ding we have a winner....LOL

I hadn't thought about the NFL playoffs overlap. Not sure which I think is tougher. But if they did start in November then it would still feel like a 2020 college football season. Starting in March....well not so much. Then I also thought of another issue with starting in March. Many universities would have graduation before the end of football. How does that work? Kid gets a job offer to start working. That's why they are in college right? And his company wants him to report June 15th. Sorry but I still have two more football games....LOL

I am sure there are workarounds for most things. Just no matter who they address this its a mess. Personally I'd rather they play the normal season and if fans can't attend for some or all of the season so be it. Its all about tv now anyway.

#40 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,273 posts

Posted 11 April 2020 - 12:34 PM

Ding ding ding we have a winner....LOL

I hadn't thought about the NFL playoffs overlap. Not sure which I think is tougher. But if they did start in November then it would still feel like a 2020 college football season. Starting in March....well not so much. Then I also thought of another issue with starting in March. Many universities would have graduation before the end of football. How does that work? Kid gets a job offer to start working. That's why they are in college right? And his company wants him to report June 15th. Sorry but I still have two more football games....LOL

I am sure there are workarounds for most things. Just no matter who they address this its a mess. Personally I'd rather they play the normal season and if fans can't attend for some or all of the season so be it. Its all about tv now anyway.

The CWS usually runs until late June. Doesn't seem to be an issue.

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=