#2881 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 31 December 2020 - 05:13 PM

We really need some help at FS. I think the loss of Earl Thomas really hurt our pass defense, and it's making everyone else look worse.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see us grab a S late in the 1st. I saw us linked to Cisco who has more than a dozen interceptions in college. 

Roll Tide

#2882 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 31 December 2020 - 05:17 PM

We really need some help at FS. I think the loss of Earl Thomas really hurt our pass defense, and it's making everyone else look worse.

It has definitely limited some of the coverages Wink can employ. I think the secondary has still done a pretty good job this year though.

@gabefergy

#2883 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 05:18 PM

More details per Schefter:

$500k signing bonus, $2M guaranteed base salary, $2.5M in playtime "not likely to be earned" incentives.

Bottomline, $2.5M cap hit for an excellent 3rd CB who can also play safety.

FS might allow him to stay healthy longer. He still has some speed to break up deep passes.

#2884 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 31 December 2020 - 05:26 PM

FS might allow him to stay healthy longer. He still has some speed to break up deep passes.

I think safety is a bit more of a physical position than outside CB, but it is likely where he will see most of his snaps if the Ravens secondary can manage to stay healthy.

• Huddle It Up Films likes this
@gabefergy

#2885 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 05:26 PM

Looks like we got another punter. Johnny Townsend signed off Colts PS. He was here during preseason. Don't know if he can also hold.

I'm just happy the league changed the covid waiting period for pick ups. Both him & Kearse can play Sunday. I can hear the Browns/Steelers conspiracy theories now saying the league is helping out the Ravens again.

#2886 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 05:31 PM

I think safety is a bit more of a physical position than outside CB, but it is likely where he will see most of his snaps if the Ravens secondary can manage to stay healthy.

SS is more closer to the line. He could lay back in the middle. Jimmy can still lay a good lick in when needed. If you think about it Humphrey would be great as FS. He roams well and not afraid to get involved.

#2887 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 31 December 2020 - 06:23 PM

Looks like we got another punter. Johnny Townsend signed off Colts PS. He was here during preseason. Don't know if he can also hold.

I'm just happy the league changed the covid waiting period for pick ups. Both him & Kearse can play Sunday. I can hear the Browns/Steelers conspiracy theories now saying the league is helping out the Ravens again.

He was on KCs practice squad according to the Ravens. https://www.baltimor...n-covid-19-list . 

He was with us in training camp ...Also it looks like Kearse is on the Practice Squad for now. He probably gets one of the shuttle slots this week.

Roll Tide

#2888 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 31 December 2020 - 07:39 PM

SS is more closer to the line. He could lay back in the middle. Jimmy can still lay a good lick in when needed. If you think about it Humphrey would be great as FS. He roams well and not afraid to get involved.

The Ravens use all of their safeties around the LoS, and it's a position that is required to provide run support regardless of if they are lined up in the box or deep. 

Because of injury, he has played mostly outside CB this year, but he has also played pretty evenly in the box, in the slot and deep when he's not aligned outside.

• Huddle It Up Films likes this
@gabefergy

#2889 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,148 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 07:54 PM

The play against Cleveland where he blew up what should've been a huge gain on a screen pass was terrific. There were three blockers in front of the back, Jimmy came flying in on a barrel roll and just knocked out all 3 of them like bowling pins. Allowed others to tackle the back.
  • GabeFerguson likes this

#2890 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 31 December 2020 - 07:59 PM

The play against Cleveland where he blew up what should've been a huge gain on a screen pass was terrific. There were three blockers in front of the back, Jimmy came flying in on a barrel roll and just knocked out all 3 of them like bowling pins. Allowed others to tackle the back.

Truly sacrificing his body for the team

@gabefergy

#2891 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 02 January 2021 - 11:11 AM

So we discussed coordinators that might be plucked as 25 names by USA Today.....Roman is among them....no mention of Martindale.

https://www.usatoday...mes/4101708001/

Roll Tide

#2892 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 11:18 AM

It looks like there will be quite a few openings for HC this year so I would expect both coordinators to at least get some consideration.  

#2893 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,639 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 11:37 AM

I really dont think Martindale deserves much consideration. Roman has to be appealing to a team thats looking to ramp up their run game. In particular one that incorporates a mobile QB.

#2894 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,148 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 11:43 AM

If neither jumped last year I wouldn't expect either to this year. Roman seems more likely and more interested personally in a head coaching position. Wink seems content to be a DC.

#2895 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 12:21 PM

I'm intrigued by what you do as a coach, particularly Roman, if you can stay here and have a SB ready offense or go be a head coach with Jacksonville. Particularly, if you have to stay in the AFC and know that you'll be facing Lamar and Mahomes, would that really be that appealing? 

I guess it's a no brainer slam dunk, you go be a head coach, because, hey how many chances will there really be for that? But let's say somehow the Ravens beat the Chiefs in the playoffs this year. Would you really walk away from that? 

#2896 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,148 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 12:36 PM

It's a no-brainer slam dunk you go be a head coach. Especially as a fringe candidate like Roman. You never know when another opportunity will come.

Unless being a head coach just isn't a goal of yours. Which may be the case with Wink. But very few assistant coaches have had the stature to wait until a perfect job comes along. Just so much risk that the shine will wear off in another year or two, or others will leap ahead on the pecking order.

#2897 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 12:51 PM

I'd also have to think the money would play a big part of that, too. Though we don't really know how much coordinators get paid, even a $500,000 difference in salary is significant. Plus, I don't think you'd risk any shot of not being able to go back to being a coordinator, if you wanted, as a coordinator. 

https://www.espn.com...ghest-paid-dcs 

Harbs, obviously a great coach, is making $7 mill annually right now. So even outside of any non-monetary motivations, that seems like the only 7 million reasons I'd need, lol. 

#2898 SouthRider

SouthRider

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 726 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 02:02 PM

I really dont think Martindale deserves much consideration. Roman has to be appealing to a team thats looking to ramp up their run game. In particular one that incorporates a mobile QB.

Really? I think the opposite. Wink has shown to be a great motivator and leader.   Guys seems to like him a lot and play hard for him.  Roman, on the other hand, has shown to be good with the running game but what else?  Even with his run game reputation he needs elite personnel and his level of success hasn't shown to last.   He strikes me as a good coordinator for a run first team,  but not head coach material.   Also, he seems kind of quiet and reserve.  He likes to be up in the booth where he can concentrate and analyze rather than being on the sidelines around other people.  That style doesn't scream head coach to me.   

#2899 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,029 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 03:28 PM

Not sure why it took me so long to encounter this but Lil Wayne made a "Lamar" track on his No Ceilings 3 mixtape 

• The Epic likes this
@DaKittenz

#2900 Huddle It Up Films

Huddle It Up Films
  • Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 08:59 PM

If neither jumped last year I wouldn't expect either to this year. Roman seems more likely and more interested personally in a head coaching position. Wink seems content to be a DC.

Wink expressed interest in one of his recent weekly pressers. He said something like "I don't want to go someplace to win an interview, I want to go somewhere to win Super Bowls". At least to me that seems like interest. 

One of the big reporters also said his staff would include Lovie Smith, Romeo Crennel and the Clemson OC. So Jax would makes sense if they picked Lawrence.

• sandiegosean likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=