2994 replies to this topic

#2981 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 08:33 PM

Harrison is like a country mile ahead of Queen in the run game IMO. Queen couldn't shed blocks at all. I'm losing confidence in him fast.

Its not like Queen isnt being abused in coverage too. His rookie year was a bust. Flat out.

#2982 Huddle It Up Films

Huddle It Up Films
  • Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 08:53 PM

Good stuff per usual. You were at the game, right?

No, I used to go all the time though. My epilepsy doesn't mix well with large crowds anymore but I was really lucky and got tickets to the Steelers' game. It was perfect, something above was looking out for me.

2020 was horrible for a lot of people but was monumental for me. Doing the videos and interacting with people here and on twitter has been big. That's why I get wishy washy sometimes. People I've never met have helped me. The mental aspect helps so much. 

• You Play to Win the Game and Mike in STL like this

#2983 Huddle It Up Films

Huddle It Up Films
  • Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 09:00 PM

Thanks for the video!  I took a really close look at Queen and he really doesn't do much in the running game.  He has a ton of trouble shedding blockers.  He had Ben Jones on him most of the game and Jones absolutely smothered him i think 15 out of the 18 plays by my rough count.

Thank you. It definitely wasn't a great game for him. Wonder if PFF graded him high because of how good everyone else did? He really has a lot of work to do especially shedding blocks. I do think he's gotten more physical. Earlier in the year he was getting pushed around a ton. I also believe he's been better overall in the last month+, especially the Jags game. That game tape was sick. I was really down on him too but his upside is still very high. We've seen the flashes.

• Mike B and hallas like this

#2984 Huddle It Up Films

Huddle It Up Films
  • Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 09:27 PM

My amateur observations: Harrison was more noticeable (to me) yesterday than any prior game. And I think he and McPhee laid the 3-4 hardest hits on Henry. Wolfe has been a force these past 6 weeks or so and Judon played highly disciplined football yesterday. An amazing effort by the D.

The biggest one with Wolfe in there too reminded me of the great 52. Just the sheer power like he was made out of bricks. The physics didn't look right lol.

#2985 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,552 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 11 January 2021 - 09:35 PM

Thank you. It definitely wasn't a great game for him. Wonder if PFF graded him high because of how good everyone else did? He really has a lot of work to do especially shedding blocks. I do think he's gotten more physical. Earlier in the year he was getting pushed around a ton. I also believe he's been better overall in the last month+, especially the Jags game. That game tape was sick. I was really down on him too but his upside is still very high. We've seen the flashes.

I assumed he would he this hybrid safety type player that can keep defenses honest in the passing game while still bring ok against the run. But instead of the best of both worlds he's the worst. Really have to figure out something for him and fast. Pass coverage is instincts, so I feel like he should just hit the weights and get better at shedding blocks against the run.

Either way, it's not a great return for a first rounder.

#2986 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,023 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 06:22 AM

I assumed he would he this hybrid safety type player that can keep defenses honest in the passing game while still bring ok against the run. But instead of the best of both worlds he's the worst. Really have to figure out something for him and fast. Pass coverage is instincts, so I feel like he should just hit the weights and get better at shedding blocks against the run.

Either way, it's not a great return for a first rounder.

...so far.

Still extremely young, raw, and space to grow physically.
@DaKittenz

#2987 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,981 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 09:01 AM

DVOA also says the Ravens 2000 defense was 2nd best in the league that season.

I'm honestly sick of DVOA. It is clear to me that it is, at best, a very flawed metric.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#2988 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 12:38 PM

I'm honestly sick of DVOA. It is clear to me that it is, at best, a very flawed metric.

7 of their top 9 teams are in the divisional round. Including the top 4. Only Cle is the outlier and we all know Pitt was brutal by the end of the year. They built up the resume early and faded dramatically. Sea was 5th and lost to LA who was 9th. Nothing weird about that.

It has flaws like anything else but is a great tool for judging teams on things other than just record.
  • GabeFerguson likes this

#2989 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 12 January 2021 - 01:46 PM

First of all, that quote is incorrect. DVOA did rate the 2000 Ravens as the best defense, just not the best team. They were 2nd behind Tennessee..

Is it a flawed metric? I don't think it is perfect, but I think it consistently does a good job of pointing to the best teams and what makes them good.

There are some things that it struggles to account for - injuries to key players for one - I still think it is about as good as it gets in terms of predictive power and ability to evaluate overall play of a team.

@gabefergy

#2990 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 01:48 PM

Every metric is flawed.  If they weren't, there would only be one metric.

• Huddle It Up Films likes this

#2991 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 01:04 PM

I've been watching all these pulls and stuff the Ravens have been doing in the run game, and it's a lot of fun to watch. I'm wondering next year when Stanley is back and let's say Phillips improves his game significantly to start at G (where he's a tremendous puller). 

You can now run these counter pulls in BOTH directions. Right now, we basically only run them from the LT pull with the C or G to the right. And Powers pull some but Bozeman is a pretty heavy puller in terms of volume for us. 

That excites me! 

#2992 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 15 January 2021 - 05:08 PM

Its not like Queen isnt being abused in coverage too. His rookie year was a bust. Flat out.

Harbaugh mentioned this week that Queen has made substantial progress this season. He sounded confident that Queen will continue to develop. 

Roll Tide

#2993 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 15 January 2021 - 06:05 PM

Harbaugh mentioned this week that Queen has made substantial progress this season. He sounded confident that Queen will continue to develop.

As much as I respect Harbs, it's hard not to take that assessment with a grain of salt. When have you ever heard him negative about his team? That said, I think he's right; this kid is very inexperienced and could develop into a good one.

#2994 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,552 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 15 January 2021 - 06:58 PM

I mean, substantial progress when you're the worst linebacker receiving significant playing time in the league by a country mile doesn't really change a whole lot. He has made progress though, by my eyes and according to the metrics. Early in the season he was either in the wrong zip code or getting pancaked by blockers. Now he seems to be closer to the ball, but while he's not getting completely blown up he is unable to shed the blocker to make a play consistently. So I guess that's progress but he still has a long, long way to go.

#2995 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 17 January 2021 - 06:47 AM

“I’d like to thank the Ravens organization,” Judon said. “You all might ask me but I don’t know what’s going to happen next year, I don’t know what’s going to happen in my future. That’s all out in front of me but the past five years have been a hell of a ride and I wouldn’t ask for another organization, or coaches, or mentors, or players to play with.”

Sounds like a guy who knows he’s gone. I’m not sure what the plan is as Ngakoue has been great here and isn’t a 3 down end. So I wonder what the plan is as we aren’t getting enough from DE

https://ravenswire.u...-and-teammates/

Roll Tide

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=