62 replies to this topic

#41 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,700 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 09:06 AM

Going to OBX the Saturday after Labor Day.  Covid has reduced our group size, but still have 7 families.  Everyone is getting tested the week before we go and trying to quarantine as much as is feasible (many people, including myself, have to go in to work so can't completely lock down).  We've all agreed not to do the little day trips or go out for ice cream and fun stuff like that we usually do, just going to stay at the house, but it's a massive beachfront house so it has all the amenities we need.  

• You Play to Win the Game and JeremyStrain like this

#42 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 09:11 AM

Going to OBX the Saturday after Labor Day.  Covid has reduced our group size, but still have 7 families.  Everyone is getting tested the week before we go and trying to quarantine as much as is feasible (many people, including myself, have to go in to work so can't completely lock down).  We've all agreed not to do the little day trips or go out for ice cream and fun stuff like that we usually do, just going to stay at the house, but it's a massive beachfront house so it has all the amenities we need.  

We did sneak out, 5 of us, we drove the car to the local dairy queen, got blizzards and drove back. Pretty safe venture. :)

#43 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 September 2020 - 09:18 AM

We rented a beach house this summer. right on the bench, had a private pool, game room. Had the whole family there, 4 generations. It was a blast. We stayed there, didnt venture out, enjoyed the beach and the pool, played games, enjoyed each other.

Wasnt our original plans, and plan b worked out pretty darn well.

I had COVID pretty bad in April, so being cured and still around and still enjoying my family is a seriously real blessing for me.

Glad you're okay man, and sounds like a perfect vacation. I much prefer that to the constant itinerary variety. 

#44 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 September 2020 - 09:20 AM

We're looking into it now. Mandy got permission from her principal to teach from home from a vacation spot, we didn't vacation all summer, just being super cautious, but now we're both burnt out and need to get away badly. Silver lining is it should be less expensive after this weekend, too. Also, smart plan, I like it. 

We are talking with our families about a plan to spend the holidays together, basically trying to create our own "bubble" starting in Mid-November for Thanksgiving and Christmas. 

• Old Man likes this

#45 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 03 September 2020 - 09:40 AM

Almost certainly taking a quick day trip one weekend after labor day, just to say we went somewhere.

I love driving, and haven't had a multi-hour trip behind the wheel since February. Kinda itching to do something, but definitely trying to stay away from mfs.

• Old Man likes this

#46 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 09:45 AM

Glad you're okay man, and sounds like a perfect vacation. I much prefer that to the constant itinerary variety. 

Thanks and Me too, just wasnt my time, and to hell with the idiots. Hydrochloroquine saved my butt.

#47 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 03 September 2020 - 09:46 AM

I had COVID pretty bad in April, so being cured and still around and still enjoying my family is a seriously real blessing for me.

Glad you're ok! Stick around a while! We got more arguing to do!

• Old Man likes this

#48 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Almost certainly taking a quick day trip one weekend after labor day, just to say we went somewhere.

I love driving, and haven't had a multi-hour trip behind the wheel since February. Kinda itching to do something, but definitely trying to stay away from mfs.

I love driving and trips are a blast. Its a challenge right now. Even simple stops like some McDonalds are only open for drive-through, and you cant do bathroom breaks.. At least the reststops appear to be back up and functioning. Could always rent a motorhome and potty on the spot.

#49 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Glad you're ok! Stick around a while! We got more arguing to do!

Thanks, thats what makes the day go by. :)

#50 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 09:53 AM

That’s usually what we do every year this is the first time in 15 years we haven’t done OBX. But we are gonna go for a half week in late sept and might go for thanksgiving week with the fam.

Ugh so glad you kicked it and are still around to hang out with us knuckleheads now.

To be honest, this is the first year, we did OBX. We like beaches, but other beaches have more fun stuff to do, then just the beach. Yes, OBX is getting better, but its not Myrtle Beach or even OC.

But, for us, it didnt matter where the bubble was, and damn the houses there are really nice.

• JeremyStrain likes this

#51 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,376 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 03 September 2020 - 10:28 AM

To be honest, this is the first year, we did OBX. We like beaches, but other beaches have more fun stuff to do, then just the beach. Yes, OBX is getting better, but its not Myrtle Beach or even OC.

But, for us, it didnt matter where the bubble was, and damn the houses there are really nice.

We are real not touristy kinda beach people, wife went to Salisbury and I lived at the beach a few years so we kinda like the desolate nothing to do but the house and beach vibe. We stay way south down in Hatteras usually where it’s even quieter. But we go with a couple other families so we are always entertained. More like Island Time vs the constant go go go of like OC. Fishing, kayaking in the sound, pool, hot tub super laid back, no plans, just relaxing.
@JeremyMStrain

#52 NickStevens

NickStevens

HOF

• Members
  • 477 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA but the 757 is home

Posted 03 September 2020 - 10:36 AM

Just got back from a week at the OBX. Family has owned a place there for almost 30 years now. Even quieter than usual down there I thought. Getting takeout was pretty difficult though. Just meant more grilling!

@NickStevensR on Twitter.
Follow BSL's Orioles Minor League podcast on Twitter @BSLOnTheVerge and follow us on Facebook and Instagram! Just search BSL On The Verge!

#53 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 10:41 AM

Just got back from a week at the OBX. Family has owned a place there for almost 30 years now. Even quieter than usual down there I thought. Getting takeout was pretty difficult though. Just meant more grilling!

We did send out for pizza for a 8 PM snack, they were slammed and a 90 minute delay. 

#54 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,376 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 10:43 AM

Yeah we heard the same thing. We usually cook at the house 5 nights and do pizza twice so it probably wouldn’t affect us a ton but I’m having serious withdrawals from our usual fresh seafood boil.
@JeremyMStrain

#55 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 03 September 2020 - 10:46 AM

We are real not touristy kinda beach people, wife went to Salisbury and I lived at the beach a few years so we kinda like the desolate nothing to do but the house and beach vibe. We stay way south down in Hatteras usually where it’s even quieter. But we go with a couple other families so we are always entertained. More like Island Time vs the constant go go go of like OC. Fishing, kayaking in the sound, pool, hot tub super laid back, no plans, just relaxing.

This is exactly like I am. I did that in Berlin MD a few years back and it was a perfect decision.

My friend has a time share in VA, and we spend a double-date weekend in the cabin twice a year. Grilling, inebriation, sports, music and card games. A constant buzz and laughing about stuff that wouldn't be as funny otherwise. It's great.

#56 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 10:46 AM

Yeah we heard the same thing. We usually cook at the house 5 nights and do pizza twice so it probably wouldn’t affect us a ton but I’m having serious withdrawals from our usual fresh seafood boil.

My friend just came back and she said there was no probably getting crabs, not sure if they were cooked or raw, and they cooked them, I saw the results posted on facebook. lol

#57 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,376 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 12:08 PM

This is exactly like I am. I did that in Berlin MD a few years back and it was a perfect decision.

My friend has a time share in VA, and we spend a double-date weekend in the cabin twice a year. Grilling, inebriation, sports, music and card games. A constant buzz and laughing about stuff that wouldn't be as funny otherwise. It's great.

Yeah that’s about our speed. When we went camping at Jellystone is was the same way. Us and one other family and it was a great time.

Some sequence was played. Washers. A competitive volleyball match. Beer pong was threatened but we never got there.
@JeremyMStrain

#58 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,376 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 12:10 PM

My friend just came back and she said there was no probably getting crabs, not sure if they were cooked or raw, and they cooked them, I saw the results posted on facebook. lol

We usually do crabs a couple times a summer but with this weird year we haven’t done them once.

I think I might break down and do a smaller version just for us. Sausage, crab legs, mussels, clams, potatoes, corn...yeah that sounds like a solid plan right now.
@JeremyMStrain

#59 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,551 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 12:18 PM

I’ve had crabs this year more than any other. Went crabbing earlier this week and caught 50.
  • DuffMan likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#60 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 12:25 PM

Going to OC tomorrow for one night. We’ll be enjoying beach, take to the boardwalk with our masks, definitely not bar hopping.

We haven’t been more than an hour from home in 8 months. It’s very necessary.
@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=