mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 07 January 2020 - 10:21 PM

I'll kick off this year's thread...

We're going to South Africa and Victoria Falls in the summer! We're considering spending some time in Botswana and/or Namibia as well.
  • Mackus and NewMarketSean like this

#2 tennOsfan

tennOsfan

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationJonesborough, TN

Posted 07 January 2020 - 10:26 PM

I'm considering taking the old camper in August to Big Bear Lake in California and Salt Lake City for two tough century bicycle rides. Gonna hit that famous steakhouse on the way through Amarillo. Probably will have to pass on the 4 1/2 pounder or else I won't make it up those mountains.

#3 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 01:11 AM

We're going to South Africa and Victoria Falls in the summer! We're considering spending some time in Botswana and/or Namibia as well.

Interested to hear how your trip goes.

TBH, it's one of the places I have zero desire to go to. But I also don't know anyone who has been there either.

@BSLMikeRandall

#4 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 08 January 2020 - 02:06 AM

Some of my best friends here are Saffers (I'm actually watching one of their dogs right now).  Their stories are next level; they'll casually drop into conversation (insert exotic animal here) and think nothing of it.  

Beautiful but completely dysfunctional country.  They take a trip every year over the holidays and I fully plan on going next year to Johannesburg, Cape Town and Jeffrey's Bay with them. 

Lastly I'll add that Namibia is a popular honeymoon spot for them, so its definitely worth checking out.

@fuzydunlop

#5 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 08 January 2020 - 02:13 AM

As far as 'trips' for myself, moving out of Bahamas on Tuesday (finally retiring!) and moving to New Orleans for roughly 6 months, then its off to Portugal until we decide to stay long term or find somewhere we like better.  But with the climate, food, and cost of living I doubt we'll leave.

• SportsGuy, Adam Wolff, You Play to Win the Game and 2 others like this

@fuzydunlop

#6 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 09:23 AM

I was considering a similar trip for my 40th but it was during the time they were having water shortages so I opted for Curacao. Enjoy!

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#7 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 09:25 AM

As far as 'trips' for myself, moving out of Bahamas on Tuesday (finally retiring!) and moving to New Orleans for roughly 6 months, then its off to Portugal until we decide to stay long term or find somewhere we like better.  But with the climate, food, and cost of living I doubt we'll leave.

What Portugal?

Yeah, I doubt you leave too.

What part will you be in?

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#8 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 09:26 AM

No plans yet but we've been thinking about return trip to Paris and then a week in Morocco on the same trip next month. Kind of getting down to the wire.

Planning on something in May too, maybe going back to Curacao.

Then over Thanksgiving we're going to do Christmas markets in Belgium.

#9 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 09:57 AM

Congrats pal!

@BSLMikeRandall

#10 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 12:07 PM

Interested to hear how your trip goes.

TBH, it's one of the places I have zero desire to go to. But I also don't know anyone who has been there either.

Going on a safari / Victoria Falls trip has been my #1 dream trip for as long as I can remember. I love being out in nature, hence why I've visited a ton of national parks, but if nature isn't really your thing, I get why one wouldn't want to go there.

However, there's a lot more to visiting that region than going on safari. I was aware of some of the other reasons to visit before, but have been learning of others while researching.

While our flights are booked, we still haven't booked anything else as I'm finalizing my research, but here's some things I anticipate doing:

- Game drives in various destinations
- Wilderness walks with a 3 night stay in a little A frame cabin out in the bush in Kruger
- Victoria Falls (one of the 7 natural wonders of the world)
- Whitewater rafting below the falls (one of the very best places to do so in the world)
- Cape Town (from my research, for a tourist, this seems kinda like a combination of San Francisco and Rio de Janeiro with the amazing landscape, beaches, pier area, famous prison island, culinary scene, and nearby wine country)
- Cape Winelands (much cheaper version of American wine destinations)
- The Garden Route along the Southern Cape (is considered one of the more beautiful drives in the world, seems kind of like PCH)
- Great White cage diving
- Whale watching in one of the best places to do so in the world, including from coastal hiking trails
- Blyde River Canyon (one of the biggest canyons in the world and different from the largest ones in that it is a green canyon, looks amazing)

Edit: Here's a link on the most scenic road trips, which includes some in South Africa: https://fullsuitcase...oads-worldwide/
  • Mike in STL likes this

#11 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 12:09 PM

I was considering a similar trip for my 40th but it was during the time they were having water shortages so I opted for Curacao. Enjoy!

Thanks. This will also be for my 40th, well just after.

#12 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 12:11 PM

Some of my best friends here are Saffers (I'm actually watching one of their dogs right now). Their stories are next level; they'll casually drop into conversation (insert exotic animal here) and think nothing of it.

Beautiful but completely dysfunctional country. They take a trip every year over the holidays and I fully plan on going next year to Johannesburg, Cape Town and Jeffrey's Bay with them.

Lastly I'll add that Namibia is a popular honeymoon spot for them, so its definitely worth checking out.

Good deal.

Well I'll be leaving one dysfunctional country for another. 😁

#13 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 12:12 PM

As far as 'trips' for myself, moving out of Bahamas on Tuesday (finally retiring!) and moving to New Orleans for roughly 6 months, then its off to Portugal until we decide to stay long term or find somewhere we like better. But with the climate, food, and cost of living I doubt we'll leave.

Sounds fantastic! Congrats!

#14 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 January 2020 - 12:54 PM

Happy Retirement - Cheers man! That's awesome.

#15 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 08 January 2020 - 12:55 PM

Sarasota/Siesta Key in March as usual.  Chicago in early June for O's/Cubs at Wrigley.  Likely doing Norman, OK in September to see OU v. Tennessee.

Finally, Ravens v. Pats or Colts in the Fall.

Also, I realized today that my friends group born in 1981-1982 can all celebrate our 40th collectively in New Orleans in 2022 as the Ravens play there that year.

Fun stuff. 

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#16 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 January 2020 - 02:01 PM

A friend of mine went to SA a few months back.

The safari pics he had (his hotel was essentially in a safari) were pretty awesome.

He also went cage diving with great whites, which is a bucket list thing for me.

He is someone that travels a lot and said it was easily one of the best trips he has had.

#17 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 09 January 2020 - 07:02 AM

Welp this is the year we take the kids to do the Disney thing.  Going to Orlando for June 16th-26th to hit up Disney World and Universal.  We are doing the trip with my parents and  my sister and brother in law and their 3 kids as well.   

#18 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 07:59 PM

Not a vacation per se but the wife and I spent the weekend in Richmond and as someone who had only really ever driven through it I really enjoyed it. Great restaurants and bars, history and architecture. I’m looking forward to go back.

#19 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 11:54 PM

Not a vacation per se but the wife and I spent the weekend in Richmond and as someone who had only really ever driven through it I really enjoyed it. Great restaurants and bars, history and architecture. I’m looking forward to go back.

Besides the attachment to racist history, Richmond is a great smallish city to visit.

Did you check out any breweries? Great beer scene down there.

#20 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 09:32 AM

Besides the attachment to racist history, Richmond is a great smallish city to visit.

Did you check out any breweries? Great beer scene down there.

Not really...didn't have enough time. I had some local beers at a few of the bars I went to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=