62 replies to this topic

#21 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 07:14 PM

Is anyone booking trips?

My 15th anniversary is in the Fall. Would like to go away...skeptical about going out of the country. (Issues with reentry?)

What do you think? Stay in the US if I book something?

#22 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 15 June 2020 - 07:23 PM

Is anyone booking trips?

My 15th anniversary is in the Fall. Would like to go away...skeptical about going out of the country. (Issues with reentry?)

What do you think? Stay in the US if I book something?

I would prefer to only go somewhere that you can drive to.

#23 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 June 2020 - 07:31 PM

In ObX right now.

The weather is about as awful as you could expect...which is perfect for 2020.

#24 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 June 2020 - 11:41 PM

In ObX right now.

The weather is about as awful as you could expect...which is perfect for 2020.

You went a week too early, weather wise.

#25 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 June 2020 - 08:34 AM

You went a week too early, weather wise.

Yep..going to be great down here next week.

F’ing blows...especially with 6 kids 5 or younger in the house.

#26 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 09:27 AM

Aruba already canceled back in late March, early April.

Thinking of planning a trip to Florida at some point this summer. Flights are cheap at least.

Still have Belgium/Germany and France planned they'll this November-December. Not thinking they'll allow Americans with the way our numbers are currently surging. But it's still 5 months away so who knows.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#27 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 16 June 2020 - 12:11 PM

I've never been to Maine.

Flights to Portland on Southwest out of BWI are like $100 now round trip.

I'd likely be going solo.

Thoughts?

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#28 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 12:34 PM

I've never been to Maine.

Flights to Portland on Southwest out of BWI are like $100 now round trip.

I'd likely be going solo.

Thoughts?

Kennebunkport is pretty cool.  Lobster shacks everywhere.  I was there for a family wedding and didn't do too much exploring on my own, so can't really speak to the nightlife or anything like that, but I sure did eat well.

#29 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 June 2020 - 12:47 PM

Recycled air on a plane is just so risky. Are the airlines doing a medical questionnaire and trading temps? Are they limiting cabin capacity? I think you'd have to pay me to get on a plane right about now.

#30 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 12:48 PM

I had a trip to Jamaica in April cancelled.  We rebooked for May, figuring it was 95% likely to also be cancelled...  and we were right.  Now we're rescheduled for November, so hopefully there's no second wave.

#31 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 12:49 PM

Recycled air on a plane is just so risky. Are the airlines doing a medical questionnaire and trading temps? Are they limiting cabin capacity? I think you'd have to pay me to get on a plane right about now.

Agreed. Kelly and I might go up to New England at some point this summer, but we'll drive if we do.

This is a good summer to explore nature.

#32 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 12:46 PM

Just got back from a week camping in Virginia near the Rappahanock. 

Correction - we were at a campground but we were in no way camping.   We were in a lodge (1-family unit) that had TV and A/C.  Which was just as well, because mercy it was hot.  We spent most afternoons in the A/C watching Survivor.  But otherwise did a lot of hiking, boating, fishing and swimming.  Also some baseballing, soccerring and tennissing, as my kids refer to these activities.

Hiked a few cool Civil War trails as well.  I'm not a big Civil War nerd like some are, but it's kind of surreal to see the places where some of these things happened.  Saw where Stonewall Jackson got mortally wounded and kind of stumbled onto a cemetery where the remains of his arm that was amputated were buried.  Weird, but cool.

Good trip all around.  I'm still sweating.  Did I mention it was hot?

#33 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 13 July 2020 - 12:54 PM

For a little while there when things were at peak, it wasn't as bad. There were like 5 people on a plane sometimes. Be real easy to check for symptoms before boarding.

As of like a month or two ago they started packing planes again, and HELL no you aren't getting me on even a half full plane.

There are three places in the world where you are like 80% going to pick up SOME disease: The Doctors office, a school, and an airplane.

@JeremyMStrain

#34 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 07:15 AM

If everyone is wearing a mask that risk is severely mitigated. 

I have personally been itching to go somewhere soon. Like a last minute trip. Been looking at Mayan Riviera...you can essentially go and stay at a condo and limit trips to public places like grocery stores or restaurants. Or have someone do your shopping for you. 

With someone without kids and with it almost being a year since our last trip I’m going through travel withdrawal. 

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#35 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 04:20 PM

We are wrapping up a road trip that has primarily been social distanced and almost entirely outdoors.

We're doing a loop featuring Shenandoah, Great Smoky Mountains, Asheville, and finishing up in Richmond.

Old Rag was a great hike with the rock scramble and all. The Smoky Mountains was cool with tons of opportunities to get in the water. Asheville is fantastic as always, in this case with most of the breweries having great outdoor seating.

The only real negative was aspects of Gatlinburg, mainly the far right politics / racism that was prevalent.

#36 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 21 July 2020 - 04:26 PM

Old Rag is great. Used to go there pretty much annually for Scouts.

#37 tennOsfan

tennOsfan

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationJonesborough, TN

Posted 02 August 2020 - 07:54 PM

We’re shooting for a camping trip to Indiana Dunes on Lake Michigan in September. My daughter will be playing Rapuntzel in Into the Woods at a regional theatre up near there. She’s lucky to have any job in musical theatre these days.

• JeremyStrain and Old Man like this

#38 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 06:12 AM

We rented a beach house this summer. right on the bench, had a private pool, game room. Had the whole family there, 4 generations. It was a blast. We stayed there, didnt venture out, enjoyed the beach and the pool, played games, enjoyed each other.

Wasnt our original plans, and plan b worked out pretty darn well.

I had COVID pretty bad in April, so being cured and still around and still enjoying my family is a seriously real blessing for me.

• You Play to Win the Game and Chris B like this

#39 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 07:38 AM

Just got back from a week camping in Virginia near the Rappahanock. 

Correction - we were at a campground but we were in no way camping.   We were in a lodge (1-family unit) that had TV and A/C.  Which was just as well, because mercy it was hot.  We spent most afternoons in the A/C watching Survivor.  But otherwise did a lot of hiking, boating, fishing and swimming.  Also some baseballing, soccerring and tennissing, as my kids refer to these activities.

Hiked a few cool Civil War trails as well.  I'm not a big Civil War nerd like some are, but it's kind of surreal to see the places where some of these things happened.  Saw where Stonewall Jackson got mortally wounded and kind of stumbled onto a cemetery where the remains of his arm that was amputated were buried.  Weird, but cool.

Good trip all around.  I'm still sweating.  Did I mention it was hot?

There are so many good civil war areas around us, reachable by short drives.

We did the Harpers Ferry to Stephen City and then Abington on I-81 drive one year, stopping at Civil War places, Natural Bridge, Drive Through Safari, Lurray Cavern, Skyline Drive for a bit.  

#40 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 03 September 2020 - 08:41 AM

We rented a beach house this summer. right on the bench, had a private pool, game room. Had the whole family there, 4 generations. It was a blast. We stayed there, didnt venture out, enjoyed the beach and the pool, played games, enjoyed each other.

Wasnt our original plans, and plan b worked out pretty darn well.

I had COVID pretty bad in April, so being cured and still around and still enjoying my family is a seriously real blessing for me.

That’s usually what we do every year this is the first time in 15 years we haven’t done OBX. But we are gonna go for a half week in late sept and might go for thanksgiving week with the fam.

Ugh so glad you kicked it and are still around to hang out with us knuckleheads now.
@JeremyMStrain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=