#161 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,756 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 03:02 PM

How tall are you?

Yeah, it's hard. I turn 40 in May and wanted to be in my best shape since college. That was my motivation or else I would be coming out of a 4-5 day long weekend bender myself. And that's every weekend.

I'm 5' 11".  I'm not really fat but I've got a gut now when I usually don't and I'm quite out of shape both cardio and strength wise.  Mostly I just need the nice weather to get here quickly and then everything will more or less take care of itself.  I'll start doing more and should slim down.

I've done Whole 30 before, at least half-assedly.  My wife did it full throttle, I still drank and didn't worry about meals when I was away from home.  I'm generally against most fad diets, even though I tend to shed weight quickly if I do it, I can go a week or two without carbs and probably drop 10 lb.  I find that I enjoy food too much to really get into many diets.  I am not much for junk food or desserts or snacking, so even if I'm eating a lot of heavy meals, I don't eat all that horribly.

#162 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 04:49 PM

I'm a pizza or two away from being the heaviest I've ever been. It's been a rollercoaster with me. They say when you diet, if you don't keep to it, you put it back on and then some. That's me. I was 318 about 6 years ago. Got down to 285 for my wedding which was 4 and half ago. Hovered around 300 for a year. Got down to 265 3 years ago. Back up to 305 over the next two years. Back down to 280 about 6 months back. Right now I'm about 310, and all the bad things that come with it. Snoring. Gout. Joints hurt, back hurts. Not sleeping through the night. Heartburn every day. Usually 300 is the mark. if I'm 299, I feel great. If I'm 301, all the bad side effects come out. 

Instead of a diet, I just need to slow my intake. Old fashioned counting calories and realize the goal I want to be (250ish) isn't going to happen overnight. Or even in a month or two. I could do some gimmick diet and lose 30 pounds in 6 weeks. I'd put 40 back on in the 6 weeks after. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#163 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,735 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 04 March 2019 - 07:03 PM

Last year, I took off the last 14 weeks of the year from running.  This was my longest layoff in 19 years when I was out for almost as long with a stress fracture.  Needed the break both physically and mentally.  I started running again on January 1st (how cliche).  Mainly because I was at home from the shut down and had extra time on my hands.  It wasn't enjoyable for a few weeks but I kept at it, and before I knew it I was back into a routine again.  I haven't ran a marathon since fall of '16  (for many reasons).  I'm not sure yet if I want to do one, but I'm considering and have my eye on something.  It's been going good for the most part but with Spring coming and sports season coming for 3 kids free time is scant which makes it harder.  I'll see what happens, but it feels good to be back into it (even though my tendinitis in my achilles is coming back)

One other thing I'll mention is DDP yoga.  I've been doing it for about 6 sometimes 7 days a week for 2 years now and I still love it.  This is probably the strongest I've been since right out of college when I was lifting every day.  My flexibility is also the best it's ever been.  I've plugged this program before and I'll plug it again.  It's great, you get a full body workout and it's doable for any fitness level (no stress on the body at all).  Even when I took my time off from running I was still getting in my yoga and it was helping scratch my itch of still working out.  Need one more plug for it.  Apparently Ed Reed is one of the ambassadors of DDP Yoga and is looking to help get other NFL retirees into doing it.

#164 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 04:08 PM

I'm a pizza or two away from being the heaviest I've ever been. It's been a rollercoaster with me. They say when you diet, if you don't keep to it, you put it back on and then some. That's me. I was 318 about 6 years ago. Got down to 285 for my wedding which was 4 and half ago. Hovered around 300 for a year. Got down to 265 3 years ago. Back up to 305 over the next two years. Back down to 280 about 6 months back. Right now I'm about 310, and all the bad things that come with it. Snoring. Gout. Joints hurt, back hurts. Not sleeping through the night. Heartburn every day. Usually 300 is the mark. if I'm 299, I feel great. If I'm 301, all the bad side effects come out. 

Instead of a diet, I just need to slow my intake. Old fashioned counting calories and realize the goal I want to be (250ish) isn't going to happen overnight. Or even in a month or two. I could do some gimmick diet and lose 30 pounds in 6 weeks. I'd put 40 back on in the 6 weeks after. 

Do you drink soda?

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#165 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 04:53 PM

Do you drink soda?

No, thankfully.

I probably don’t drink enough water a day, supposed to be a gallon for my size. Maybe I get half that. I’ll get unsweet tea and add a pack of sweetener if I’m out to eat. I drink socially, so a few times a month.
@BSLMikeRandall

#166 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 10:19 AM

I'm finally (and by finally, I mean after 5 years) feeling healthy after some serious health issues that lingered and didn't seem to go away.  Multiple surgeries, VA hospital botching some easy stuff.  After many starts and stops on my return to fitness, I finally am able to physically withstand a regular program.  Anyway, I'd been working out at a Merritt in White Marsh.  It's a fine gym, really.  Nothing to speak ill of.  The people are nice, nice amenities.

But my friends at work turned me on to Exile in Rosedale.  And it's the best gym I've ever gone to.  It's big and there's no bullshit.  People don't go there for a social club.  Just a bunch of people putting in work and it has everything that you'd need to get strong.  I love it.  I can't recommend it enough.  If you're in the area, check it out.  It's on 40 by King Liquors.

Also, I've gotten back to basics.  Kind of a 5x5 inspired program.  Almost 100% barbell and the results have been fantastic. I am seeing some serious progress, my sleep issues have almost disappeared, mentally I feel the best I have in years, my energy is through the roof and a woman at work told me how good I look.  She was missing the majority of her teeth and smelled bad, but it was encouraging nonetheless.

• BSLChrisStoner, DuffMan and Mike in STL like this

#167 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 12:30 PM

I'm finally (and by finally, I mean after 5 years) feeling healthy after some serious health issues that lingered and didn't seem to go away. Multiple surgeries, VA hospital botching some easy stuff. After many starts and stops on my return to fitness, I finally am able to physically withstand a regular program. Anyway, I'd been working out at a Merritt in White Marsh. It's a fine gym, really. Nothing to speak ill of. The people are nice, nice amenities.

But my friends at work turned me on to Exile in Rosedale. And it's the best gym I've ever gone to. It's big and there's no bullshit. People don't go there for a social club. Just a bunch of people putting in work and it has everything that you'd need to get strong. I love it. I can't recommend it enough. If you're in the area, check it out. It's on 40 by King Liquors.

Also, I've gotten back to basics. Kind of a 5x5 inspired program. Almost 100% barbell and the results have been fantastic. I am seeing some serious progress, my sleep issues have almost disappeared, mentally I feel the best I have in years, my energy is through the roof and a woman at work told me how good I look. She was missing the majority of her teeth and smelled bad, but it was encouraging nonetheless.

Always glad to hear stories like this. I’m happy for you. Most of any health problems I have stem from weight. But I find myself too busy to workout (bad excuse) or when I do I’m sore for three days so I don’t get in a good routine (another bad excuse)

Did you tell that woman that you are human being with feelings and not a piece of meat looking to be objectified. #metoo ;)
  • Russ likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#168 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 12:52 PM

Always glad to hear stories like this. I’m happy for you. Most of any health problems I have stem from weight. But I find myself too busy to workout (bad excuse) or when I do I’m sore for three days so I don’t get in a good routine (another bad excuse)

Did you tell that woman that you are human being with feelings and not a piece of meat looking to be objectified. #metoo ;)

I've got a long way to go, no doubt.  It's been a long time since I was on a dedicated training program.  And I'm working 60 hours a week.  I imagine once the euphoria rubs off, that it's going to be easier for me to make excuses not to train.  

I think I've passed a benchmark, though.  It feels like I'm past the "just getting back" phase to "this guy's here 5 days a week every week" phase.  Just got to keep getting in there.

• Mike in STL likes this

#169 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,077 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 07:44 AM

Balt Sun‘We’ve had three months to plan for this': Baltimore-area gyms, clients eager for Friday’s reopening

#170 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 09:53 AM

Started going after work instead of before.  So much better.

#171 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 September 2021 - 10:09 AM

I've lost 60 lbs since picking up golf in late April. Fun way to lose weight. Some 3D trickery, as I have to trick myself into exercising. I bought a push cart for my bag a couple months ago and am working up to walking 18 holes now. I walk the executive course near me a couple times a week.
  • BobPhelan and 1970 like this

#172 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 02:07 PM

I've lost 60 lbs since picking up golf in late April. Fun way to lose weight. Some 3D trickery, as I have to trick myself into exercising. I bought a push cart for my bag a couple months ago and am working up to walking 18 holes now. I walk the executive course near me a couple times a week.

That’s a lot of weight man. Good job.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#173 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,937 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 02:08 PM

Damn dude. Awesome. What you down to?

#174 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 September 2021 - 02:23 PM

Damn dude. Awesome. What you down to?

Not nearly enough. But feeling a lot better. The pandemic was really bad for me.

#175 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,937 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 02:24 PM

Not nearly enough. But feeling a lot better. The pandemic was really bad for me.

60 is great man. As Coach Harbaugh says, keep stacking the days. Youve obviously stacked a lot of them

#176 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 24 February 2022 - 01:36 PM

10 days into a variation of Whole 30. Basically eating real food; no processed food, sugar, carbs or alcohol.

Hitting the gym hard for cardio. Don't have much energy on this diet but I've fought through it.

Started at 205.4, down to 199.

It's hard and boring, but it works.

• BSLChrisStoner and Mackus like this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#177 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,756 posts

Posted 24 February 2022 - 02:03 PM

Recently bought a bunch of free weights and a rowing machine for the unfinished part of my basement.  Have started a little bit of exercising but it's been fits and starts over the last several weeks.  Haven't jumped into a real workout routine yet, but excited to get back into some light lifting and some cardio that isn't always jogging which I don't like.  

Also recently got bikes and trailers for the kids.  Expecting a lot of bike rides with the kids in the spring.  I haven't owned a bike since college, but I found that it comes right back just like...

#178 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 24 February 2022 - 04:07 PM

Been rowing since December. It kicks my ass after 1000m

@fuzydunlop

#179 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 24 February 2022 - 11:24 PM

Got a rowing machine a few years ago as well. Because I'm only running if there is some kind of ball involved. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#180 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 25 February 2022 - 10:48 AM

I enjoyed running but since I tore my meniscus (probably from running) it's been difficult. I can do a 2 minute run, 2 minute power walk interval on the treadmill but running outdoors for any extended period of time is over. And even the treadmill makes the knee flare up the next day.

Have gotten into hiking a lot since my knee started bothering me and that has helped me stay active.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=