180 replies to this topic

#121 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:21 PM

Merritt in Canton.  Crazy expensive, but convenient.  I wasn't using it at all for the longest time it was such a waste of money, but I've been going pretty consistently lately so I guess I can justify the cost.  Hoping to stay motivated and continue to go for the foreseeable future.

I go there too. 

@PeterDiLutis

#122 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,566 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 03:40 PM

I'm taking the BPD PT test in a couple of weeks so I've really geared up my cardio of late, trying to alternate a day of LSD cardio and briskly walking on incline without holding onto the treadmill.

I've always been a lifter, so you tell me to run a 1.5 and I look at you like you just asked me to run a marathon, but it seems like every run gets easier and easier. Not saying I'll ever be the type who will enjoy running, but I can at least look at it as less of a burden.

#123 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 19 October 2014 - 07:14 PM

Saturday put up a 23:19 time on my 3.5ish mile every-other-Saturday run which was 1 second off my personal best. Kinda kicking myself b/c if I'm being honest I didn't empty my tank during this most recent run. It was a perfect morning for running too; overcast and 70's.

23:18 ain't the personal best no more,

23:13 is the new best.

Killed it this Saturday. And that was after eating 2 big pieces of pizza and drinking 6 beers Friday night.

Also since I mentioned downloading the myfitnesspal app back in late August, I'm now down 10 pounds, but more importantly have taken body fat % from high-teens to low double-digits.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#124 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 19 October 2014 - 08:08 PM

23:18 ain't the personal best no more,

23:13 is the new best.

Killed it this Saturday. And that was after eating 2 big pieces of pizza and drinking 6 beers Friday night.

Also since I mentioned downloading the myfitnesspal app back in late August, I'm now down 10 pounds, but more importantly have taken body fat % from high-teens to low double-digits.

Carb loading.

@DJ_McCann

#125 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,735 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:00 AM

The hay is in the barn!

Did my last long run on Friday,  now I impatiently wait 3 weeks for the Richmond Marathon to get here!

#126 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 08:31 PM

23:13 is the new best

Was the new best.

23:05

Had to deal with some borderline crippling cramps midway through or it would've been better.

#127 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 10:55 PM

Ran in a 5K last weekend (one of the ones I did last year).

21:05

Good enough for 28th overall, 4th in my age group, and beat my prior personal best by 37 seconds.
  • Russ and DuffMan like this

#128 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:08 AM

First week back in over four months. Killing it.
  • Markus likes this

#129 PatrickDougherty

PatrickDougherty

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 03:58 PM

I'm having trouble with plateaus on my lifts. I can't seem to break through to the next step on any major muscle group, and I do the auxiliary lifts in addition to the core 4 of bench, squat, deadlift, and shoulder press. Anyone else have and solve the same issue? Any advice?

@pjd0014
I'm trying to be better about sharing code for reuse: Github

#130 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 05:37 PM

PEDs
  • Russ likes this

#131 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,087 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 19 December 2014 - 07:02 PM

What supplements are you taking? You may be in line for a ph cycle to jump start you.
<p>I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#132 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 03:35 PM

Ran in a 5K last weekend (one of the ones I did last year).

21:05

Good enough for 28th overall, 4th in my age group, and beat my prior personal best by 37 seconds.

So long jerk-personal-best.

This weekend put up 20:57 in a 5K.  15th overall, 2nd in my age group, and beat the quoted personal best by 8 seconds.

Might be about time to bump up to 10K's.

• Russ likes this

#133 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 01:04 PM

So, this past weekend I ran in a 5K (yeah, yeah, I know the above post said I was done with 'em but this one I keep doing for sentimental reasons [this one is the first ever real race I ran]).

This was me:

79c0d1dce5e3.jpg

This was that above mentioned 20:57 personal best:

6b4b3aadec086f18ece27a39bb8bd870.jpg

#134 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 08:15 PM

Gonna start a trial at local YMCA tomorrow morning. Never been to a gym on membership basis. I want to shed pounds and tighten up beer gut. What do you recommend? I have an elliptical at home, use it regularly and do a light arm and abs workout 5 times a week give or take. Basically want to step that up. There's also a pool. What do you recommend? Gonna try to go an hour before work and roughly 30-45 mins during lunch. We'll see how long that lasts. Will probably end up doing an alternating system of the two.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#135 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 08:39 PM

Gonna start a trial at local YMCA tomorrow morning. Never been to a gym on membership basis. I want to shed pounds and tighten up beer gut. What do you recommend? I have an elliptical at home, use it regularly and do a light arm and abs workout 5 times a week give or take. Basically want to step that up. There's also a pool. What do you recommend? Gonna try to go an hour before work and roughly 30-45 mins during lunch. We'll see how long that lasts. Will probably end up doing an alternating system of the two.

It's at least 50% diet, especially as we get older. Do 20-30 minutes of cardio and start lifting. Don't do just cardio.

Eta: total body workout, dude. Arms one day a week. Chest, back, legs, shoulders, arms.
  • NewMarketSean and Markus like this

#136 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 08:40 PM

Yup. Low carb diet as of Monday. Going hard until vacay in late February.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#137 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 08:42 PM

You can get away with doing abs three days a week, if you want. I'd recommend doing some core work instead.
  • NewMarketSean likes this

#138 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 07:05 AM

Awesome. About to head out for my first session. Wish me luck.
  • Russ likes this

#139 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 11:30 AM

Find stuff that keeps you both challenged and engaged.  If you're engaged you're more likely to keep it up.  Now, what keeps one engaged in a workout can be (and is usually) different from person to person.  So, try using all the equipment in the gym over a short period of time and find what works for you.  You may find the elliptical does it for you.  Or the bikes.  Or the treadmill/running.  Or just lifting.  Or a combination of any number of stuff.  Also, make sure to mix up your workouts on a pretty regular basis.  That way your muscle-memory stays confused and doesn't become complacent.

Don't skip leg days.

When lifting, proper form and a lower weight is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than shitty form and more weight.

Wipe down any/all equipment you use.  Don't slam the weights down.  You won't look cool and you'll just let everyone know you're a douche.

Don't be afraid to ask anyone for help and/or advice.  While most people in the gym just wanna get in/get out, most are still willing to chat and give advice/tips, if asked.

Stretch.

Stay hydrated.

And like Russ said, diet is a big part of it all too.  I'd suggest doing a food/fitness journal (myfitnesspal for example) and religiously tracking your calories/fat/protien/carbs/etc. intake to start.  Eventually you'll start to know how much nutritional value the foods you eat have and know what to cut down on or cut out or eat more of.  Of course, the everything in moderation mantra also works.  Also, don't shy away from some carbs/sugars.  Some fruits/veggies can have a fair amount of either in them but they're the "good" kind.  Drink lots of water too.  Have a cheat-day here-or-there too.

• You Play to Win the Game and NewMarketSean like this

#140 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 02:19 PM

First day down.

Did 35 mins on treadmill this morning before work (got out a little late, first time jitters, getting used to stuff, etc...shortened what I would have liked to do) and went back and did about 30 mins of core stuff...tried a bunch of machines. Found three I like a lot, will keep hitting them up.

The best part is having a shower after exercise and it's literally .1 mile from my work.

So should I do cardio every day? Was going to do that in the morning, weights at lunch.

• Markus likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=