180 replies to this topic

#41 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:44 PM

I go in spurts. It's either all or nothing for me. I'm in a workout spurt at the moment. I benched 300lb for the first time last week (I weigh 180) so I was happy about that. Never thought I'd be able to although I weigh more than I would like.

Problem for me is I eat like garbage and I don't like healthy foods because they all taste awful. Lol.

Anyone else work out at Merritt Canton?

@PeterDiLutis

#42 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:11 PM

I go in spurts. It's either all or nothing for me. I'm in a workout spurt at the moment. I benched 300lb for the first time last week (I weigh 180) so I was happy about that. Never thought I'd be able to although I weigh more than I would like.

Problem for me is I eat like garbage and I don't like healthy foods because they all taste awful. Lol.

Anyone else work out at Merritt Canton?

Broccoli meet Pete...Pete meet Broccoli. (I hate broccoli ftr)

@levineps

#43 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:26 PM

I did 21/22s for the most part at my peak (I'm doing 27/28s now). My best cross country time(which I think was actually harder than road races) was 20:23. I definitely think you run faster in a road race than you would if you just ran by yourself or with some friends. Like you, I like the competitiveness of it, and it's nice to be able to compete even if you aren't a great runner like myself.

Some of the races are more charitable than others btw. Not always does the proceeds go to charity fyi.

Keep up the good work!

Yeah, I did do a bit of research on the 2 races I've signed up for so far.  One definitely went to kids and this one goes to the Christian Okoye Foundation.  And I mean, if you can't trust Christina Okoye, just who can you trust in this world?

I think that's why I prefer marathons, I feel like I'm getting more bang for my buck.  I hate shelling out 30-40 bucks for a 5k. 

Yeah I get that.  I can definitely see myself, soon, doing 10K's and maybe even 1/2 marathons and thus getting more bang for the donation buck.    As for actual marathons, right now no way I have any desire for those.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#44 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:27 PM

Gym Etiquette: Top Rules for Rookies

Do follow basic rules of hygiene. This includes wiping down equipment after you use it............

This is definitely my biggest pet-peeve at the gym, when morons don't do this.  It's just freaking gross.

#45 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:48 PM

Yeah, I did do a bit of research on the 2 races I've signed up for so far.  One definitely went to kids and this one goes to the Christian Okoye Foundation.  And I mean, if you can't trust Christina Okoye, just who can you trust in this world?

Yeah I get that.  I can definitely see myself, soon, doing 10K's and maybe even 1/2 marathons and thus getting more bang for the donation buck.    As for actual marathons, right now no way I have any desire for those.

Some of them, they'll do like 60% of the proceeds instead of everything. Who was the celebrity who had the poker tournament where only like 6% went to charity. It's that kind of thing, you may think you are doing it for a good cause but unless you do the research into (which I don't usually do), all the proceeds aren't guaranteed to go to charity.

@levineps

#46 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:48 PM

One of the biggest things you can do is drink more water.  The more water the better.

This. Definitely this.

Associated, when working out, especially lifting, remember to breathe. Sounds dumb but it's key.

#47 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,581 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:54 PM

Can't say I'm much of a runner. Wish I had better times for the 1.5 mile, 2 mile, and so on. Right now I focus on HIIT on the treadmill. Something like....

1 minute warm up at 3.5, 1 minute jog at 7.0, 1 minute walk at 3.5, 1 minute jog at 8.0, 1 minute walk at 3.5, 1 minute run at 9.0, 1 minute walk at 3.5, 1 minute run at 9.5, 1 minute walk at 3.5, 1 minute run between 9.5-10.0 continuing that pattern for 20-25 minutes. I usually top out around 10-10.5 at my top speed.

#48 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:20 PM

I did Markus's kind of workout all week, and it actually cut my workout time in half.  It really kept my heart rate up and I felt like I got my ass kicked when I was done.  It's good, too, because I was getting a little bored with my usual workout.  I switch it up every 6 weeks or so, but you know how it goes.  I'm going to keep at it for another 5 weeks.  Leg day was a bitch though.

• Markus likes this

#49 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:44 PM

I did Markus's kind of workout all week, and it actually cut my workout time in half. It really kept my heart rate up and I felt like I got my ass kicked when I was done. It's good, too, because I was getting a little bored with my usual workout. I switch it up every 6 weeks or so, but you know how it goes. I'm going to keep at it for another 5 weeks. Leg day was a bitch though.

That's good to hear. Honestly makes me feel good in my innards that something from this thread that I mentioned was able to be taken by someone else for their own use.

Like I said, what I typed out in that one post seemed like a lot, but when you put it to practice it goes by pretty quickly. And it keeps you huffing and puffing. Keep it up and keep your routine fresh. Keep switching things up. There's so much info out there on the interwebs and so many different exercises you can do to keep your workout fresh, engaging, fun, quick, etc.

And yes, please send check or money order to Markus' InsanP90xity. You'll also receive the free gifts of an "earned" tshirt, official Suzanne Somers Thighmaster, and official Ab Rocket Twister.
  • Adam Wolff and Russ like this

#50 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 01:01 AM

^Just want to make sure my quasi-drunken rambling above didn't/doesn't come off as trying to toot my own horn.

It was more of a "glad something posted here could benefit others" post. More of a "something anyone or all of us can do" kinda post.

I think this thread could definitely help out/educate/motivate everyone, myself included, to work out, keep working out, stay fit, get fit, push one another, etc., etc.

I think it'd be neat to also, in this thread (and the food thread), maybe also discuss food choices, diet staples, give food tips to help one another out get our delicious and healthy grub on.

And that's my quasi-drunken rambling for this night.

#51 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,737 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:56 AM

My only gripe about cold weather running is clothing.  I have so much more junk to pack in my bag and throw in the laundry in the winter time.  In the summer time it's running shorts and thats about it.

#52 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:40 PM

My only gripe about cold weather running is clothing.  I have so much more junk to pack in my bag and throw in the laundry in the winter time.  In the summer time it's running shorts and thats about it.

More power to anyone running outside on days like this where it's in the single digits.

@levineps

#53 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,581 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:00 PM

More power to anyone running outside on days like this where it's in the single digits.

I couldn't even bring myself to leave my house to go run indoors. Part of that is my dislike for running, even though I have to do it. The other part is because it's just too f'ing cold out.

#54 KWebz

KWebz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 722 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:30 PM

I can't stand running outside in the cold and I really enjoy running. Running outside in temps like today make my ears burn

#55 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,737 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:28 AM

I can't stand running outside in the cold and I really enjoy running. Running outside in temps like today make my ears burn

:wink:

BIBEANF-NL-thumb.jpg

#56 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:40 PM

BIBEANF-NL-thumb.jpg

pMLB2-10378188dt.jpg

@DJ_McCann

#57 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,737 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:29 PM

I'll take a frigid day like today over a hot balmy summer day.  In the cold you can get warmed up once you get going, in the summer once your hot, that's it.

#58 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:46 PM

So a few weeks ago I finally decided to take the plunge again on the looooooong journey back to decent health... and this time, rather than set myself up to fail again by jogging outside and invariably getting shin splints 3 days into it, I have been using the stationary bike every night, and I'm already feeling a ton better. I can't do it for very long yet, but I'm slowly working my way up. Down 15 lbs this year. Wish me luck.

• Markus likes this

#59 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:04 PM

I'm not really working out again, but I've made some changes that have yielded nice results so far. Basically, I've adjusted my eating to limit calories and eliminated pizza and fast food, 2 of my downfalls. Also, no more beer. Wine and hard liquor, like an adult. I was given a FitBit for Christmas, so wearing that and just trying to take a certain amount of steps has lead to me taking the stairs, parking further away at work, going for walks, aimlessly walking around my apartment..stuff that doesn't do much on it's own, but added up it's resulted in a solid amount of exercise compared to the normal cubicle life. And my most unique change is doing push ups for every drink I have. I started out doing 10, then went up to 15, and I'm now doing 30 per drink. Considering I usually have a couple of drinks an evening, it's been pretty effective and when I have one of those Saturday's that involves drinking for 12 hours, I feel like I just did a heavy chest day in the morning.

None of the changes are overly dramatic, which I've found is important for me, but the sum of all the parts has resulted in me being down from 190 when I got back to Florida after the New Year, to about 177 now. Feeling a hell of a lot better too!

• You Play to Win the Game and Markus like this

@AdamWolff

#60 KWebz

KWebz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 722 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:39 PM

uve5aren.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic