#61 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:46 AM

Down 21 pounds this year. Still in the habit forming phase, but feeling better already.

• Russ, mweb08 and Markus like this

#62 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:37 AM

Down 21 pounds this year. Still in the habit forming phase, but feeling better already.

That's pretty amazing.  Keep it up.

One thing to keep in mind is that (and not to come off as like a negative-nelly or rain on parade or anything) but eventually the weight isn't going to keep coming off as easily and that's where constantly mixing up work-out routines, doing new exercises, etc., etc. comes into play with muscle confusion.

Also, it's where attitude about diet (even subtle changes) comes into play.  So instead of like a snack of chips and dip, going for celery/carrots and hummus would be better.  Instead of a candy bar to satisfy the sweetness craving, going with maybe some greek yogurt with some granola and honey mixed in could satisfy that urge.  Stuff like that.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#63 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:10 PM

Signed up to run, this upcoming Saturday, my second 5K in about a month.

That said, in my first one, I put up a time of 22:38 which was good enough for 36th out of 700+ and good for 8th in my age bracket.  So the bar has officially been set for this weekend.

So, ran in my second 5K a few Saturdays ago.

Ended up finishing this time in 21:42 (much more pleased with this time than my 1st one) and it was good enough for 31st (a slight improvement from 36th) overall and good enough for 4th (better than 8th) in my age bracket.

Overall much more pleased with how I did in this one.  The guy who finished 3rd in my age bracket had me by 20-30 seconds so if I want on the podium I still got some improvement and goals to go for.  Still, like I mentioned before I want to eventually (sooner rather than later) get into 10K's and maybe, maybe 1/2 marathons but I definitely want to finish in the Top-3 of my age group.  No way I'm running a 5K in 15-16 minutes to finish in the overall Top-3 but trying to crack that for my age group is what's pushing me now.

Also, and I say this kinda jokingly but the past 3 times I've gone for open-road runs (the 5K and my past 2 every-other-Saturday 3.5 mile runs) I've put up very good times where the night prior I did a little bit of boozing.  Not enough, mind you, to be fully hungover but I definitely had a decent number of drinks.  This past 5K I shaved close to a minute off my time.  And my past two 3.5 mile runs I've gotten, and improved upon, my 2 best times.  First one I finished in 24:07 and last weekend I destroyed that by finishing in in 23:18.

• Oriole85 likes this

#64 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:21 PM

That's pretty amazing.  Keep it up.

One thing to keep in mind is that (and not to come off as like a negative-nelly or rain on parade or anything) but eventually the weight isn't going to keep coming off as easily and that's where constantly mixing up work-out routines, doing new exercises, etc., etc. comes into play with muscle confusion.

Also, it's where attitude about diet (even subtle changes) comes into play.  So instead of like a snack of chips and dip, going for celery/carrots and hummus would be better.  Instead of a candy bar to satisfy the sweetness craving, going with maybe some greek yogurt with some granola and honey mixed in could satisfy that urge.  Stuff like that.

Thanks man and yeah, I'm bracing for that. I've approached this holistically though, so I feel good about the longevity of my plan. Honestly, probably 10 lbs of this is probably in just giving up soda alone. So I know it'll slow down soon, but again, the changes I've made are fairly routine and not earth shattering, so I think I'm in it for the long haul finally. I'll keep you posted.

• Adam Wolff likes this

#65 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:45 PM

The runners high is real and it feels good! :cool:

#66 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:47 PM

The runners high is real and it feels good! :cool:

Yep... it also works for biking, thankfully.

#67 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,562 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:50 PM

Not much of a runner, but for those who do and run on a treadmill, what's a good speed to try and build up endurance? I've been doing a lot of HIIT treadmill work lately usually keeping the speed between 8.5-10 on my runs, but I'm trying to find a good speed to build up endurance for the longer runs.

#68 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:06 PM

Not much of a runner, but for those who do and run on a treadmill, what's a good speed to try and build up endurance? I've been doing a lot of HIIT treadmill work lately usually keeping the speed between 8.5-10 on my runs, but I'm trying to find a good speed to build up endurance for the longer runs.

When I was in marathon mode back in the day, a nice steady 6.5 was perfect for building up endurance for me personally. Would run 3.5 a day at that speed... but any given day could easily go 13-15 without any issues at all.

#69 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:08 PM

What's your definition of longer, and how far are you trying to go?  How far are you going when it's 8.5-10?  If you are trying to go longer then you don't need as high of a speed if you are looking to run further.  Maybe 80% of your max speed would be a decent bet

#70 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 28 February 2014 - 11:54 AM

I don't know how I would handle stress without my running.  I can workout so much in my head while I'm running and feel so much better about things after going for a run.

• You Play to Win the Game and Markus like this

#71 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:42 PM

So I've lost a total of 1 lb the past 3 weeks - but I've been eating 4 meals a day, and working out 6 days a week. I've read that it can take a while for your metabolism to fully re-set. Previously, I would eat two meals a day, a huge lunch, and a huge dinner. My guess is my metabolism is still somewhat in starvation mode and it will take a little while for it to start reacting more to the changes I'm making. Staying positive and focused. I feel much better from the working out alone, and the clothes are definitely more comfortable. 

• Adam Wolff and SammyBirdland like this

#72 KWebz

KWebz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 722 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:19 PM

So I've lost a total of 1 lb the past 3 weeks - but I've been eating 4 meals a day, and working out 6 days a week. I've read that it can take a while for your metabolism to fully re-set. Previously, I would eat two meals a day, a huge lunch, and a huge dinner. My guess is my metabolism is still somewhat in starvation mode and it will take a little while for it to start reacting more to the changes I'm making. Staying positive and focused. I feel much better from the working out alone, and the clothes are definitely more comfortable. 

Your last sentence means so much more than what's on the scale. If you want to physically see results in documentation, you can periodically get a pinch test for a more accurate an in depth read of your bmi by trainers at most gyms. Don't be discouraged!
  • Adam Wolff, You Play to Win the Game and SammyBirdland like this

#73 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:23 AM

So, my update on my situation..

Down about another 8 pounds or so since the beginning of February. My target weight was 165 when I started and I'm at about 169 now, so pretty close. One of the cooler things that happened was that I went to put on a pair of shorts I'd worn a lot last summer and I could literally take them off while they were buttoned. Inconvenient because I basically have no pants that fit well anymore, but that's a great problem to have. I've found that controlling eating has gotten easier as it's become a more regular part of my lifestyle, which is nice. Exercise wise, still banging out pushups in line with cocktails consumed and I've added running after work, which I'm enjoying a lot more than I ever expected. The pounds aren't coming off as quickly, obviously that's expected, but I know positive changes are still happening. Amazing the effect that feeling good physically can have on a lot of different aspects of your life!

• You Play to Win the Game, Russ, DuffMan and 1 other like this

@AdamWolff

#74 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:24 AM

Time to resurrect this guy.

My workout had kinda plateaued recently so I've kinda mixed up my cardio now. 

On the treadmill I'll still warm up for 5 minutes at 7.5 mph.  Than (depending on whether it's upper body or lower body day) I'll do 5 or 6, 5-minute sets of 11.5 mph for 1.5 minutes, 9.5 mph for 1.5 minutes, and 7.5 mph for 2 minutes.  The 11.5 mph is a good kick in the pants.  The 9.5 mph is a good paced run.  Both make the 2 minutes at 7.5 mph seem like a speed walk.

When on the elliptical I'll (like above) warm up for 5 minutes on level 17.  Than I'll switch between sets at level 14 and level 17 each for 2-minute intervals.

On the bike I'll switch between sitting and pedaling fast on a lower setting and standing and pedaling butt-slow on a super-high level.

Also, I've pretty much cut out both leg curls and leg extensions from my lower body days since most of what I've been reading lately say both do more harm than good.  Instead I've mixed in box jumps and step-ups (with 20-30 pd weights) and do both for 4 sets/20 reps.  These have been killer.  Just killer and by the time I get done with both the top of the box and the area around it look like it's rained.

Good thing about these shake-ups is that I'm to feel (and see) results again.  Like on my every-other-Saturday 3.5ish mile runs I've been putting up times consistently in the 23ish minute range.

Good stuff.

• DuffMan likes this

#75 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:18 PM

Ran the Frederick 1/2 Marathon back in early May.  Took a week off then resumed training in preparation for the Richmond Marathon on November 15th.

#76 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,542 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:51 PM

I've been reading a lot of Facebook posts about people doing marathons lately.  Seems like a lot of work.

• SammyBirdland likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#77 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:09 PM

All power to the people that can run marathons. Both physically and mentally.

#78 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:41 PM

It is SO DAMN hot outside. This is unbearable. I hate running as it is - but this just makes it so, so much worse. 

I've resorted to attempting to run after the O's games end. When it's settled down to a nice 82 degrees. 

#79 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:08 PM

After doing 5K's and 10K's and contemplating 1/2 marathons I have no desire to do a full marathon.  The only way I really see myself doing one is if/when I do a real-deal triathlon.

#80 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:18 AM

With the warmer weather here it's even more important to stay hydrated, expecially if exercising outdoors in the heat and humidity.  How do you know if you are getting enough fluids, follow this simple rhyme.

If you are peeing yellow then you are in trouble fellow.

If your pee is clear then let out a cheer!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=