42 replies to this topic

#21 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 01:46 PM

Hays does not have rookie eligibility. I don't know if prospect lists use something different, but he's got enough service time to have graduated and will not be a rookie in 2020.

#22 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,683 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 24 November 2019 - 11:22 PM

Hays does not have rookie eligibility. I don't know if prospect lists use something different, but he's got enough service time to have graduated and will not be a rookie in 2020.

He'll still count as a rookie.

from mlb.com

Determining rookie status:

A player shall be considered a rookie unless, during a previous season or seasons, he has (a) exceeded 130 at-bats or 50 innings pitched in the Major Leagues; or (b) accumulated more than 45 days on the active roster of a Major League club or clubs during the period of 25-player limit (excluding time in the military service and time on the disabled list).

September service (expanded rosters) doesn't count the same.

• Mackus likes this

#23 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 08:56 AM

Thanks, wasn't aware of that distinction.

I still don't think that they intentionally tried to keep Hays under that 130 at bat limit to preserve his rookie status or his prospect status.  That they benched him the 2nd to last game of the season would be a point in favor of your argument that they did, though. 

I am convinced that Akin and Mountcastle remained off the roster for service time reasons rather than maintaining rookie/prospect status, there is no ambiguity there as if they were called up for the last couple weeks they still would have had that eligibility.  Hays you can make the argument at least.

#24 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 10:53 AM

The Orioles are represented within by Adley Rutschman (5), Grayson Rodriguez (35), and DL Hall (47).

Ryan Mountcastle, Austin Hays and Yusniel Diaz were included on BA's list of players who got consideration but didn't make the top 100, with Mountcastle particularly close. #Orioles

#25 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 02:18 PM

Mountcastle going backwards in recent years I guess reflects that he's on his way to cementing his status as only a 1B/DH type?  Obviously his bat has answered the bell as he's climbed the ladder, but if he's only a 1B or DH it's not all that amazing of a bat.  Good for sure, but his offensive ceiling feels more of a Trey Mancini than a Paul Goldschmidt.  Unless he continued to improve like he did from '18 to '19, that was a major step forward (albeit in a league that saw major offensive increases across the board).

#26 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 January 2020 - 07:32 AM

Yea I have said Mancini is the type of bat to hope for.

Good player and can be a good piece on a contender but not anything irreplaceable either.

#27 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,563 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 26 January 2020 - 07:49 AM

Baseball America:

5. Adley Rutschman
35. Grayson Rodriguez
47. DL Hall

MLB Pipeline:

4. Adley Rutschman
36. Grayson Rodriguez
69. DL Hall
94. Ryan Mountcastle

Baseball Prospectus:

4. Adley Rutschman
45. Grayson Rodriguez
57. Ryan Mountcastle
  • Mackus likes this

#28 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,982 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 08:47 AM

Eventually, one of our pitching prospects has to pan out, right?

#29 NickStevens

NickStevens

HOF

• Members
  • 477 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA but the 757 is home

Posted 26 January 2020 - 08:56 AM

I think the narrative of "the Orioles can't develop pitchers" will be a thing of the past in the near future. Have to see what these guys can do in the upper-minors after dominating the lower-minors, but I had more fun watching the minor league pitching staffs last year than at any point in the near 10 years I've closely followed this system.

• BobPhelan and Mike B like this
@NickStevensR on Twitter.
Follow BSL's Orioles Minor League podcast on Twitter @BSLOnTheVerge and follow us on Facebook and Instagram! Just search BSL On The Verge!

#30 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 26 January 2020 - 03:46 PM

I think the narrative of "the Orioles can't develop pitchers" will be a thing of the past in the near future. Have to see what these guys can do in the upper-minors after dominating the lower-minors, but I had more fun watching the minor league pitching staffs last year than at any point in the near 10 years I've closely followed this system.

I hope you are right, because unless we start developing TOR type guys, none of all the other things we are doing will matter much.

@mikeghg

#31 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,563 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 27 January 2020 - 10:57 AM

BP has Adley at 4, Rodriguez at 45, and Mountcastle at 57. No DL Hall which seems odd.

#32 NickStevens

NickStevens

HOF

• Members
  • 477 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA but the 757 is home

Posted 27 January 2020 - 11:11 AM

Their Top 10 O's list back in November was...unique. So I'm not too surprised to see how their Top 101 turned out.

• BobPhelan likes this
@NickStevensR on Twitter.
Follow BSL's Orioles Minor League podcast on Twitter @BSLOnTheVerge and follow us on Facebook and Instagram! Just search BSL On The Verge!

#33 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 11:36 AM

The BBs are clearly an issue and if you think he'll ultimately be a two pitch bullpen arm its defensible to leave him off your 100 list.

#34 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,563 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 27 January 2020 - 04:44 PM

The BBs are clearly an issue and if you think he'll ultimately be a two pitch bullpen arm its defensible to leave him off your 100 list.

Sure but even in that scenario he’s probably one of the best relief prospects in the sport.

But this is all subjective so I get it. I’m sure he was in the 102-120 range.

#35 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 January 2020 - 05:21 PM

BP has Adley at 4, Rodriguez at 45, and Mountcastle at 57. No DL Hall which seems odd.

That makes no sense

#36 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 08:48 AM

Keith Law's top 100 prospects list is up at The Athletic.  Three Orioles (although it's early, so I might have missed somebody).

10. Adley Rutschman, C, Baltimore Orioles

The first overall pick in the 2019 draft, Rutschman is a true catcher who gets praise all around for his receiving skills and understanding of the game, but is also a switch-hitter with plus power and a history of getting on base. Rutschman starred at Oregon State the last two springs, hitting over .400/.500/.650 in each of those two seasons, and his junior year he improved his throwing, nailing 48 percent of opposing base stealers in school (and then getting 7 of 11 in pro ball). There’s some length to his right-handed swing, but left-handed it’s clean and short and looks like it will continue to produce power with the wood bat. He had some minor shoulder soreness in college that could slow him down. But otherwise there isn’t much reason to think he won’t become at least an everyday catcher thanks to the power and the catch-and-throw skills, with MVP upside if he hits for enough average.

50. DL Hall, LHP, Baltimore Orioles

Hall was the Orioles’ first-round pick in 2017, a top-half-of-the-round talent who slid to their pick at No. 21 — and they have to be thrilled that he did, given the arsenal he shows right now. Hall will pitch at 93-96 mph with a plus curveball at 79-83 that has tight, two-plane break, and an above-average changeup in the low-80s. His stuff is electric coming out of his hand, and hitters who try to gear up for the fastball will look foolish when he throws one of his offspeed weapons. He’s an excellent athlete with a good delivery that he could repeat, but doesn’t, often because he rushes through it to try to blow guys up with his fastball. He walked 54 in 80 2/3 innings last year, a big jump in his walk rate over 2018, up to 15.6 percent … but he also struck out a third of the guys he faced. If you saw the stat line, you might think he had some awful delivery or was the left-handed Nick Neugebauer, but he’s athletic, his delivery works, and he has the pure stuff to be at least a No. 2 starter. If and when he learns to measure his tempo and repeat that delivery, he’ll throw more strikes and approach that ceiling.

60. Grayson Rodriguez, RHP, Baltimore Orioles

Rodriguez was the 10th overall pick in 2018 out of a high school in rural Texas, yet was advanced enough that the Orioles sent him to Low-A Delmarva last spring to work as a starter on very limited pitch counts. He completely overwhelmed hitters there, striking out 34 percent of hitters at the level. I saw him multiple times, and most opposing batters couldn’t catch up to his fastball, which would sit 94-96 mph. He can elevate it for swings and misses, but he understood that he could just rear back and blow it by guys as well. He’ll show four pitches, with a curveball that flashes above-average but isn’t consistent, showing 11-5 break with good spin and some depth within the strike zone, and a slider that was below-average when I saw him. He’s huge, 6′5″ and listed at 220 but already stronger, built like a workhorse top-of-the-rotation starter. His delivery, however, is very stiff and abrupt, with a big pause that cuts down on how much he can use his legs and a little bit of cross-body action because of where he lands. His command and control are about where you’d expect a 19-year-old pitcher’s to be, maybe a little ahead of that, and if he just gets those to average he’s going to be a capable major-league starter. A tighter curveball and progress with his changeup would get him to a No. 2.

#37 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 09:33 AM

Here's Law's report on the Orioles.

His Top 20:

1. Rutschman
  2. DL Hall
  3. Rodriguez
  4. Diaz
  5. Adam Hall
  6. Hays
  7. Mountcastle
  8. Henderson
  9. Kremer
  10. McKenna
  11. Lowther
  12. Harvey
  13. Baumann
  14. Wells
  15. Akin
  16. Knight
  17. Grenier
  18. Rom
  19. Stowers
  20. Hanifee

#38 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 11:34 AM

Seems like a good list to me.  Akin the only guy that seems oddly low from Law compared to most others opinions.  Adam Hall ranked higher by Law than a lot of others I've seen, or my own personal opinion of him.  Law must think he can stick at SS and be an asset defensively, the bat hasn't really looked like anything special.  Good hit tool and on-base ability, but no pop.

• BobPhelan likes this

#39 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 12:45 PM

I didn't want to post the whole article, but here's what he had to say about Hall and Akin.

5. Adam Hall, SS

I’m a believer in Hall, the Canadian shortstop whose full-season debut in Low A last year was a success (.298/.385/.395, 33 steals in 42 attempts) even as his father dealt with multiple myeloma. Hall is a 70 runner who plays hard all the time and has continued to progress at the plate in his approach and in making harder contact. He can still jump too early in counts on pitches he won’t drive, but he’s cut his groundball rate with each promotion. I think he stays at shortstop in the long haul and ends up a tick above average, but he’d also be plus at second base.

Sleeper

I’m a big Adam Hall fan; there’s too much athleticism and energy there in a middle-infield package, along with an improving plan at the plate, for me to overlook.

15. Keegan Akin, LHP

Akin is another pitcher who didn’t like the Happy Fun Ball in Triple A, posting the highest walk rate of his career. He can miss bats with a three-pitch mix and I think in relief he’d be very effective, probably bumping up his fastball to plus in short bursts.

• BobPhelan likes this

#40 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 08:50 PM

Law rates the O's system at #24.

24. Baltimore Orioles

It’s still early in the rebuild and the Orioles’ first draft under Mike Elias was fine, but not a blockbuster. There’s some back-end pitching depth here behind the big two starter prospects, DL Hall and Grayson Rodriguez, and a few position players in the low levels who have upside beyond what they’ve shown so far. This team needs more total bulk in the system and to get active in Latin America again.

https://theathletic....urce=dailyemail

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=