#81 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:03 PM

I'm definitely liking it a lot so far. Not positive if I love it at this point, but I often like albums more as time goes on. There is one set of back to back songs that I really love, though.

#82 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:08 PM

I'm definitely liking it a lot so far. Not positive if I love it at this point, but I often like albums more as time goes on. There is one set of back to back songs that I really love, though.

I probably know which ones. I already love it, which is crazy because usually for albums I love, it takes me a few weeks. Can't wait to dive into this lyrically as well.

#83 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:21 PM

I'm already liking it more since that last post. I wasn't totally focusing on some of the songs before at a certain part of the album, but with another listen, I'm impressed.

What's your guess Ricker?

#84 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:23 PM

I'm already liking it more since that last post. I wasn't totally focusing on some of the songs before at a certain part of the album, but with another listen, I'm impressed.

What's your guess Ricker?

Hmm, there are soo many good ones. I'd probably guess "You Already Know" followed by "Joan of Arc".

#85 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:32 PM

Actually the two songs before them. But maybe the next time I listen to the album I'll say that was an excellent guess.

#86 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:35 PM

Actually the two songs before them. But maybe the next time I listen to the album I'll say that was an excellent guess.

I actually almost went with the two before. That 4-song stretch is just ridiculously good, IMO.

#87 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:30 AM

#88 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:20 AM

Still unable to hear this for whatever reason it won't play sound on my iPad.  Very frustrating.  Oh well, I'll just hear it first thing tomorrow.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#89 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,561 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:23 AM

I know the album is out in many forms already, and available for streaming on youtube with Black Orpheus, but I am waiting to download it from iTunes tomorrow.

So far "Here Comes The Night Time" is the best song. All the others, for some reason, I am not getting into as much but I am sure that will all change once I listen to the album endlessly over the next few weeks.

Pitchfork gave it a 9.2 FWIW.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#90 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:24 AM

Yea the Black Orpheus streaming won't play sound on my phone or iPad and, naturally, my laptop's sound card is screwed up.

@bopper33

#91 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:44 PM

Listening now. Arcade Fire meets the Talking Heads. And that's a great great thing.

@bopper33

#92 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:45 PM

Listening now. Arcade Fire meets the Talking Heads. And that's a great great thing.

Me too. Can't stop listening.

#93 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:53 PM

I don't love "Here Comes the Night" as much as you guys but "Nomal Person" is incredible.

@bopper33

#94 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:38 AM

I don't love "Here Comes the Night" as much as you guys but "Nomal Person" is incredible.

Great song. Love how much they rock out. That's going to be a really fun live one.

#95 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:10 PM

Well, here's a very harsh review up on Grantland: http://www.grantland...eflektor-review

#96 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:45 PM

Well, here's a very harsh review up on Grantland: http://www.grantland...eflektor-review

I get what he's saying I guess - but I disagree with him. So sad for him that this album wasn't what he wanted from them, but instead a slight change in direction from the band, but still just as epic, IMO.

#97 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:36 PM

Yeah, I also see what he's saying, but disagree for the most part. I do miss some of the style from some of their grandiose songs from their first two albums so I see what he's saying about climbing mountains vs staying more in the valley. However, there's still some damn good songs on this album.

#98 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,561 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:47 PM

I've read some of Hyden's articles on GL before, and I think he tends to over think things, sometimes.

He also basically came to a similar conclusion of Katy Perry's latest album. I find that ironically funny.

Anyway, as a huge AF fan, I naturally disagree because everything this band does is amazing. :D I'm still delving into the album but already I see lots of recurring themes from previous albums while still pushing the band's narrative into new places. So far it's a good album, will it be a great one? Too soon to tell. But I like it and that's all that matters, right now.

AF were already headed towards dance-y rhythms on The Suburbs. See "Sprawl II". One of their more prominent musicians is from Haiti, so it's only a matter of time before they embraced Caribbean sound. I don't see what the issue is.

As for the danciness of the album, one of the best rated albums of the last decade was Sounds of Silver, by LCD Soundsystem. James Murphy produced Reflektor. Change the lyrics to "Someone Great" and it could be a pop song. So criticizing how songs are constructed is a flimsy argument to me. They exist how they exist. It's like that saying, "what makes a great movie isn't what it's about, it's how it's about it." That is how I look at constructing songs. Should a sad song always sound sad?

And people have also criticized AF for being self-serious, weighty, self-important -- Hyden does this in his review. So AF show another side of themselves with the album, the SNL appearance, and he takes them to task for it.

Can't win.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#99 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:19 PM

Hyden in 1967...

http://screwrocknrol...the-beatles-but
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

@bopper33

#100 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:35 AM

Hyden in 1967...

http://screwrocknrol...the-beatles-but

Fantastic. Great read. I do think that reviewing music should be done with far more caution and patience than it is frequently done. But that's the hard thing - reviewers are supposed to get out in front of things. But the issue is that, just like everyone else, you can't just absorb an hour or so of art in a couple days and write some grandiose review on it. That doesn't give it a chance to sink in, doesn't give you a chance to properly dissect it. Or, when work is particularly original, it doesn't give you the chance to really even understand what it is you're listening to (which sometimes leads to an instinctual negative review). Like Goldstein did with Sgt Pepper, I would expect Hyden to soften his stance as time goes on, if not completely reverse course.

Also, not that it's the best song on the album... but my favorite to listen to so far is Joan of Arc. So freakin' catchy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=