87 replies to this topic

#41 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 06 May 2021 - 08:00 PM

I’d be worried that this sets a precedent that when they ask the federal government to make this federal law, since they drag their feet, they will just cut and paste this law and call it federal.

I don't think it would get passed at the federal level in anything resembling that form.

#42 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 05:25 PM

CBS Sports: College athletes gear up for influx of cash and pressure with name, image and likeness rights set to kick in

https://www.cbssport...set-to-kick-in/

#43 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 07:25 PM

Just today the governor here in Oregon signed the bill for NIL to go into effect on Thursday. With slow movement at the federal level on this, it will be interesting to see if schools in states that have NIL laws end up with a recruiting advantage.

#44 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 01 July 2021 - 08:43 AM

ESPN: NCAA name, image and likeness FAQ: What the rule changes mean for the athletes, schools and more

https://www.espn.com...es-schools-more

#45 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,229 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 01 July 2021 - 10:00 AM

This is so exciting.

#46 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 01 July 2021 - 10:48 AM

Auburn quarterback Bo Nix announces a sponsorship with Milo’s Tea Company after the NCAA lifted rules that previously restricted college athletes from making money off of name, image and likeness deals

#47 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 01 July 2021 - 07:12 PM

The real problem is going to be with the players who don't get the NIL deals. In the pro's revenue is shared.

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#48 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 03:06 PM

#49 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 27 July 2021 - 06:10 PM

David Shaw doesn't seem happy that NIL is benefitting Alabama https://twitter.com/...073986373783552

she/her

#50 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,058 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 28 July 2021 - 08:27 AM

I think that NIL is the root driving the latest realignment fiasco. Schools see the handwriting on the wall. The SEC already has a huge recruiting advantage as being perceived as the best conference football wise. The SEC has the most media coverage especially TV. The SEC has the most money. The SEC puts the most players in the NFL. In 2020 there were 348 SEC players on NFL rosters. Next best was the BiG with 264.  All those things are huge recruiting advantages.

Now all those things are tied into NIL. The SEC players are going to have the best shot at good NIL money. So one more recruiting advantage and this one is probably the biggest advantage of all. So get yourself to the SEC as fast as you can.

#51 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 28 July 2021 - 10:02 AM

Loosened transfer rules fit in too. A star player in the Big Ten or Pac 12 unhappy with his NIL offers can more easily transfer to the SEC now.

Agree with Shaw when he intimated that was no off-the-cuff comment from Saban. He was waiting for the first opportunity to work that in, so every 4-5 star HS player Alabama is recruiting would know their starting QB (who hasn’t even started one game yet) is already a millionaire.

• BSLChrisStoner and BSLSteveBirrer like this

#52 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 28 July 2021 - 11:16 AM

Some of these recruits may opt to go elsewhere than the SEC. There's money to be found at any college.

This will eventually lead to a corruption scandal in college football. All this does now is allow sports boosters at universities to be open about buying players for their schools. All those years of giving players cars to sign up will be legal now as long as they do an ad for the business.

#53 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 28 July 2021 - 03:39 PM

The No. 1 overall recruit for the Class of 2022, QB Quinn Ewers who is committed to Ohio St., is thinking of skipping his senior year of HS and enrolling at OSU this fall (he'd need to complete one HS English class which he could take online).

A big reason for starting his college career a year early? NIL. He already has offers and has estimated he could earn 7-digits in endorsements...but the law in his home state of Texas does not allow HS athletes to do NIL deals.

https://sports.yahoo...-200803437.html

#54 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 28 July 2021 - 03:50 PM

I understand how Texas HS sports leagues could say that nobody is allowed to play if they are accepting NIL money, that seems within their wheelhouse.  I don't understand how it can be Texas law that no high schoolers can accept NIL money.  That sounds absolutely unconstitutional to me.  

#55 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 28 July 2021 - 03:56 PM

I understand how Texas HS sports leagues could say that nobody is allowed to play if they are accepting NIL money, that seems within their wheelhouse.  I don't understand how it can be Texas law that no high schoolers can accept NIL money.  That sounds absolutely unconstitutional to me.  

I was just going by what the Yahoo! article said, but according to its author, that is in fact the case.

The state’s University Interscholastic League informed the Ewers family in an email Monday that any attempt for Ewers to profit off his NIL would be in violation of Texas’ recent legislation regarding Name Image and Likeness.

• Mackus likes this

#56 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 28 July 2021 - 03:57 PM

Yeah I read the article.  Law seems illegal to me.  I'm surprised there aren't some kids challenging it already.

#57 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 28 July 2021 - 04:02 PM

Yeah I read the article.  Law seems illegal to me.  I'm surprised there aren't some kids challenging it already.

I could see a court challenge happening eventually. Thing is, for a kid in Ewers' situation even if he ultimately won he'd probably be long out of high school by the time it wound its way through the courts. I would think that takes away a lot of incentive to fight it.

#58 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 28 July 2021 - 04:04 PM

I could see a court challenge happening eventually. Thing is, for a kid in Ewers' situation even if he ultimately won he'd probably be long out of high school by the time it wound its way through the courts. I would think that takes away a lot of incentive to fight it.

Depends on if they stay the enforcement of the decision while the case is pending or not. I think the kids saying that the law does them harm would have a strong case for it being put on hold until the case is resolved, meaning they'd be able to sign NIL deals.  I'm no lawyer though, so maybe that's a bad guess.

#59 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 28 July 2021 - 04:08 PM

Depends on if they stay the enforcement of the decision while the case is pending or not. I think the kids saying that the law does them harm would have a strong case for it being put on hold until the case is resolved, meaning they'd be able to sign NIL deals.  I'm no lawyer though, so maybe that's a bad guess.

That could be one of those things where it simply comes down to the philosophy of the particular judge the case ends up with.

Of course, we're also talking about Texas....high school football is practically religion down there. If schools across the state start losing their best players, be it to an early college start or a prep school in a more NIL-friendly state, then a court challenge may not be necessary. State legislators will be under so much heat from constituents that they will simply amend the law on their own.

• BSLSteveBirrer and BSLRoseKatz like this

#60 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 03:01 PM

The No. 1 overall recruit for the Class of 2022, QB Quinn Ewers who is committed to Ohio St., is thinking of skipping his senior year of HS and enrolling at OSU this fall (he'd need to complete one HS English class which he could take online).

A big reason for starting his college career a year early? NIL. He already has offers and has estimated he could earn 7-digits in endorsements...but the law in his home state of Texas does not allow HS athletes to do NIL deals.

https://sports.yahoo...-200803437.html

Ewers will enroll at Ohio St. this fall.

https://sports.yahoo...-155809921.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=