87 replies to this topic

#61 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,617 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 03:20 PM

Ewers will enroll at Ohio St. this fall.

https://sports.yahoo...-155809921.html

I mean, I get that this kid's got a highly-prized arm, but this isn't some wunderkind who nearly finished high school in three years. With all due respect to the kid's scholastic records, might this actually be a case of a student who needed five years to graduate high school? He turned 18 this past March. I assume even Texas has rules on eligibility, so maybe he didn't play football his freshman year? 

I get that they're tying the NIL thing to the unintended consequences of a young(er) man(!) going to the NCAA in seek of fortunes, but this wasn't necessarily Randall Pink Floyd at some crossroads, perhaps as it was him not wanting to be freakin O'Bannion. 

• Mackus likes this

#62 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 03:26 PM

I mean, I get that this kid's got a highly-prized arm, but this isn't some wunderkind who nearly finished high school in three years. With all due respect to the kid's scholastic records, might this actually be a case of a student who needed five years to graduate high school? He turned 18 this past March. I assume even Texas has rules on eligibility, so maybe he didn't play football his freshman year? 

I get that they're tying the NIL thing to the unintended consequences of a young(er) man(!) going to the NCAA in seek of fortunes, but this wasn't necessarily Randall Pink Floyd at some crossroads, perhaps as it was him not wanting to be freakin O'Bannion. 

Would have to take him at his word, but in the article Mike originally posted it seemed pretty clear that he would have stayed at his HS if he could have accepted NIL money and still played football.

Nice reference, btw.

#63 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,617 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 03:51 PM

Would have to take him at his word, but in the article Mike originally posted it seemed pretty clear that he would have stayed at his HS if he could have accepted NIL money and still played football.

Nice reference, btw.

That could be. But I'm cynical enough to think this kid's handlers are looking into the next generation of payable talent coming through the what, multiple billions of dollars worth of high school football stadia throughout the state. 

I dunno. I did get to use the word stadia, so I got that going for me. 

(thanks, btw!)

#64 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,390 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 09 August 2021 - 06:58 PM

And just like that, Ewers has his first endorsement deal, and commercial.

https://twitter.com/...854573840207872

• BSLRoseKatz likes this

#65 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,390 posts

Posted 12 August 2021 - 06:32 PM

Brett McMurphy

Very, very cool: all 36 @BYUfootball walk-ons have entered into agreements w/Built Brands, manufacturer of a healthy protein bar, & will receive a payment equivalent to cost of tuition

For programs that are well-connected with monied individuals/businesses, the days of scholarship limits may be over. And that's not a bad thing, IMO, though it could push the not-well-connected programs further behind than they already were.

• You Play to Win the Game and BSLRoseKatz like this

#66 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 12 August 2021 - 06:35 PM

Brett McMurphy

Very, very cool: all 36 @BYUfootball walk-ons have entered into agreements w/Built Brands, manufacturer of a healthy protein bar, & will receive a payment equivalent to cost of tuition

The only type of bar you're allowed to partner with at BYU

• BSLMikeLowe likes this

she/her

#67 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,390 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 07:15 PM

The No. 1 overall recruit for the Class of 2022, QB Quinn Ewers who is committed to Ohio St., is thinking of skipping his senior year of HS and enrolling at OSU this fall (he'd need to complete one HS English class which he could take online).

A big reason for starting his college career a year early? NIL. He already has offers and has estimated he could earn 7-digits in endorsements...but the law in his home state of Texas does not allow HS athletes to do NIL deals.

https://sports.yahoo...-200803437.html

Remember this guy? He's in the portal now.

#68 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,390 posts

Posted 14 December 2021 - 03:14 PM

Nike signs UCLA soccer star Reilyn Turner to its first student-athlete NIL deal.

#69 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,390 posts

Posted 15 December 2021 - 06:28 PM

On3.com: Travis Hunter signing with Jackson State shows 'power of the individual in the NIL era'

#70 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,390 posts

Posted 07 April 2022 - 02:22 PM

This NIL stat about total money distributed by sport jumped out at me. No surprise that football dominates at 51% of overall money, but what caught my eye is that women's basketball has a 2.8% edge on the men.

https://twitter.com/...112722732847111

#71 BSLZacKrull

BSLZacKrull

CBB Analyst

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 12:32 PM

BSL: NIL Is Officially Running Wild in College Basketball and It’s Already a Slippery Slope

https://baltimorespo...slippery-slope/

• BSLChrisStoner, BSLMikeLowe and BSLSteveBirrer like this

#72 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,390 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 12:45 PM

BSL: NIL Is Officially Running Wild in College Basketball and It’s Already a Slippery Slope

https://baltimorespo...slippery-slope/

One minor point; while Mark Emmert announced he'll step down, he will remain at his position until the NCAA names his replacement or June 2023, whichever comes first. Of course considering his complete lack of leadership over the past dozen years, it's not like anyone will notice the difference.

#73 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,000 posts

Posted 04 May 2022 - 07:35 AM

CBS Sports: NCAA aims to crack down on boosters disguising 'pay for play' as name, image and likeness payments

https://www.cbssport...eness-payments/

#74 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,390 posts

Posted 04 May 2022 - 10:07 AM

LOL!

#75 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,390 posts

Posted 05 May 2022 - 10:38 AM

SEC commissioner Greg Sankey and Pac-12 commissioner George Kliavkoff are in DC today and tomorrow meeting with several senators about federal NIL legislation. That’s about the only realistic hope of bringing some order.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#76 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,230 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 05 May 2022 - 03:21 PM

CA has a bill in their state legislature that will require schools to share a large portion of their tv revenue with the players. To which I commented ok but what about the opponents? How much does USC get from their tv contract and how much of that would they then have to pass on their students? But doesn't seem like that's the only question. Wouldn't USC have to pay their opponents (those not from CA) as well? USC - ND is a big money draw on tv. But last time I checked it takes two teams to play a game. Seems like ND players would have a legit lawsuit to file if they didn't get a share of that money.

#77 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,390 posts

Posted 05 May 2022 - 03:49 PM

An AD has now been fired for being asleep at the wheel when it comes to NIL.

ESPN: Wichita State Shockers fire AD Darron Boatright amid criticism school can't compete in NIL market

#78 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,617 posts

Posted 07 May 2022 - 04:08 PM

An AD has now been fired for being asleep at the wheel when it comes to NIL.

ESPN: Wichita State Shockers fire AD Darron Boatright amid criticism school can't compete in NIL market

I mean, he's not wrong, you know. Until some serious regulation gets implemented, this will be like a re-draft rotisserie / fantasy league, except the bigs will have a hell of a lot more money than $260.  

#79 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,390 posts

Posted 07 May 2022 - 06:58 PM

I mean, he's not wrong, you know. Until some serious regulation gets implemented, this will be like a re-draft rotisserie / fantasy league, except the bigs will have a hell of a lot more money than $260.  

He's not wrong, but that sort of honesty will still get you fired, since it's essentially citing a barrier to being uncompetitive.

#80 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,617 posts

Posted 07 May 2022 - 08:46 PM

He's not wrong, but that sort of honesty will still get you fired, since it's essentially citing a barrier to being uncompetitive.

He admitted the reality of the situation. 

And any ethical person in a similar situation would do the same thing!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=