180 replies to this topic

#161 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 27 September 2019 - 10:14 PM

ESPN's win probability currently has it at 99.9% for PSU. How the hell is it that low?

• fishteacher likes this

#162 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 27 September 2019 - 10:27 PM

ESPN's win probability currently has it at 99.9% for PSU. How the hell is it that low?

Frank Reich?

@DJ_McCann

#163 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Not really sure where you go from here.  Hate that 4 games into his tenure you pretty much know that Locksley isn't the guy.  And I truly hate for him, I wasn't a huge fan of the hire but I appreciate how much he loves this program.  Not sure who the guy is though.  Maybe hope the Colts fall apart and you can beg Frank Reich if he's fired.

#164 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Teams like Iowa and Wisconsin don't really recruit much better than MD has recently, but you almost never see this kind of crap when they go against the Ohio States and Penn States. They even beat those teams sometimes. So clearly something else must be at play here.

(Hint: It's the guys on the sidelines)

That I definitely agree with. Could even be higher up than those on the sidelines.
@BSLMikeRandall

#165 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 10:28 PM

128 yards of offense for the Terps tonight. They weren't even that bad the season they had to start a linebacker at QB.

• DJ MC likes this

#166 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 10:30 PM

That I definitely agree with. Could even be higher up than those on the sidelines.

Yeah, the administration has been half-hearted at best when it comes to having a decent football program. Cole will be nice when it's finished, but even then, they've only caught up to the pack.

#167 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 10:35 PM

So which school do you think all the recruits in attendance want to go to now?

I’d be willing to bet the scoring margin is smaller in the Towson/Florida game tomorrow.
@BSLMikeRandall

#168 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 10:38 PM

Of all the lessons Locksley supposedly learned at Alabama, what to do after getting whupped 59-0 obviously wasn't one that ever came up. He's going to have to resort back to his New Mexico years now....Scottie Montgomery might want to watch out for a right hook.

• DJ MC likes this

#169 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 10:39 PM

So which school do you think all the recruits in attendance want to go to now?

I’d be willing to bet the scoring margin is smaller in the Towson/Florida game tomorrow.

The saving grace might be that there probably weren't too many recruits there tonight, since it's Friday and they probably had their own games to play.

• Mike in STL likes this

#170 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 10:48 PM

Yeah, the administration has been half-hearted at best when it comes to having a decent football program. Cole will be nice when it's finished, but even then, they've only caught up to the pack.

Right, it's a no-win situation. You have to spend an absurd amount of money to buy all the ridiculous crap* to get a football program to everyone else's level, then once you are there not only is everyone else already there but they are still spending money so the bar keeps rising.

*Mostly because they can't pay the players.

It's not only a bad look for the administration to waste that money, it's a bad look on the boosters, too.

@DJ_McCann

#171 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 11:11 PM

Right, it's a no-win situation. You have to spend an absurd amount of money to buy all the ridiculous crap* to get a football program to everyone else's level, then once you are there not only is everyone else already there but they are still spending money so the bar keeps rising.

*Mostly because they can't pay the players.

It's not only a bad look for the administration to waste that money, it's a bad look on the boosters, too.

Yeah, it's kind of crazy....if a rich booster wants to take players out for a steak dinner, it's a rules violation. If an uber-wealthy booster wants to give the school tens of millions to build a luxurious dining hall and hire a Michelin-rated chef to run it for the players, that's perfectly fine.

It's probably why we seem not to see quite as many recruiting violations in college football in recent years as in the past....everyone has figured out how to legally entice recruits with luxuries to come play for you.

(or they are just much better at concealing that they are paying them)

#172 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 11:13 PM

Yeah, it's kind of crazy....if a rich booster wants to take players out for a steak dinner, it's a rules violation. If an uber-wealthy booster wants to give the school tens of millions to build a luxurious dining hall and hire a Michelin-rated chef to run it for the players, that's perfectly fine.

It's probably why we seem not to see quite as many recruiting violations in college football the past few years as in the past....everyone has figured out how to legally entice recruits with luxuries to come play for you.

And, of course, if they have that money available for football, they also have it available for, you know, the students and faculty.

Some actually do, but not nearly enough.

@DJ_McCann

#173 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 11:23 PM

And, of course, if they have that money available for football, they also have it available for, you know, the students and faculty.

Some actually do, but not nearly enough.

Maybe they can start letting the players bring their girlfriends to the dining room for dinner. They could kill two birds with one stone....the players will love it since it impresses the girls, and the school can point to that as a means of avoiding any Title IX inquiries.  :lol:

#174 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 September 2019 - 04:29 AM

Not really sure where you go from here. Hate that 4 games into his tenure you pretty much know that Locksley isn't the guy. And I truly hate for him, I wasn't a huge fan of the hire but I appreciate how much he loves this program. Not sure who the guy is though. Maybe hope the Colts fall apart and you can beg Frank Reich if he's fired.

Reich is too good of a coach and the Colts have too much to fall apart.

They could have some 7-9 win seasons and miss the playoffs, which could make him available though.

It’s all about Brisett for them.

Not sure he would go to the college game if that happened or not but you figure if he did, his alma mater would be the place he would go.

#175 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 September 2019 - 04:34 AM

It's probably why we seem not to see quite as many recruiting violations in college football in recent years as in the past....everyone has figured out how to legally entice recruits with luxuries to come play for you.

These guys are all getting paid. It’s just naive to think that it’s not happening in football and basketball.

Money, jobs, legacies and careers ride on getting these kids to come to your school. When you have that much on the line, you do things to get what you want.

I’m not saying it’s right, just saying that it’s being done everywhere and you can’t convince me that it’s not.

People hope the hammer falls on Coach K, Saban, Meyer, Williams, etc....so what if it does? All that tells you is even the best programs do it, which is something we should all
know anyways.

It’s just surprising to me, with UA in their back pocket, that the football team can’t do more.

Chris is right, to not even be competitive in this game is horrible.

#176 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 07:02 AM

Penn St looked like they were playing a pee wee team. The size and speed difference was obvious if you watched one play.

Not really sure why anyone is surprised by this though.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#177 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 10:46 AM

These guys are all getting paid. It’s just naive to think that it’s not happening in football and basketball.

Money, jobs, legacies and careers ride on getting these kids to come to your school. When you have that much on the line, you do things to get what you want.

I’m not saying it’s right, just saying that it’s being done everywhere and you can’t convince me that it’s not.

People hope the hammer falls on Coach K, Saban, Meyer, Williams, etc....so what if it does? All that tells you is even the best programs do it, which is something we should all
know anyways.

It’s just surprising to me, with UA in their back pocket, that the football team can’t do more.

Chris is right, to not even be competitive in this game is horrible.

If you aren’t cheating you aren’t trying.

Or Maryland is the worst cheaters ever.
@BSLMikeRandall

#178 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 28 September 2019 - 10:47 AM

Penn St looked like they were playing a pee wee team. The size and speed difference was obvious if you watched one play.

Not really sure why anyone is surprised by this though.

Especially on the lines. Just dominated. Sad to watch.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#179 Ojielo

Ojielo
  • Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 10:50 AM

I can't do it..I tried

Marine Corps Sniper...One Shot One Kill

#180 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 28 September 2019 - 01:07 PM

Especially on the lines. Just dominated. Sad to watch.

Yep, I realized in the first quarter, that the trenches were a mismatch.  Surprised it would up a white wash, but until Maryland brings the lines up to B10 standards, they will never be relevant.

@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=