152 replies to this topic

#21 BSLWillieSeanCoughlan

BSLWillieSeanCoughlan

BSL HS Analyst

• Members
  • Pip
  • 676 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 02:14 PM

*SIGH!!* Still salty over Howard's coaching staff not allowing his team to scrimmage against Oakland Mills during the Quad Scrimmage at Howard!!!

I wish David the best as well ! Would love to see him playing pro ball.

LOL! I remember.
@aka_themamba

#22 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 05:02 PM

Balt SunHoward County teams hit ground running on opening day of 2019 tryouts

#23 GDEF

GDEF
  • Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 11:19 PM

Just noticed SAT’s are this Saturday. Will prob impact kids being able to participate in the scrimmages.
  • ECF and ShoNuff07 like this

#24 ShoNuff07

ShoNuff07
  • Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 04:36 PM

Just noticed SAT’s are this Saturday. Will prob impact kids being able to participate in the scrimmages.

That wouldn't be too bad of a thing.  Honestly, I feel that rising senior student-athletes should have already taken the SAT a couple of times before this season starts.  You want to be as marketable as possible while being recruited.  Having that out of the way, instead of going during the season, particularly the following morning after a bruising game could affect your concentration while taking such a critical part of your recruiting process. Waiting to see if you are going to qualify could be a difference in a school offering you or another player. I hope the high school coaches are encouraging their players to get it out of the way instead of waiting until the last minute.

#25 ECF

ECF
  • Members
  • 238 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 22 August 2019 - 06:35 AM

That wouldn't be too bad of a thing.  Honestly, I feel that rising senior student-athletes should have already taken the SAT a couple of times before this season starts.  You want to be as marketable as possible while being recruited.  Having that out of the way, instead of going during the season, particularly the following morning after a bruising game could affect your concentration while taking such a critical part of your recruiting process. Waiting to see if you are going to qualify could be a difference in a school offering you or another player. I hope the high school coaches are encouraging their players to get it out of the way instead of waiting until the last minute.

All day, every day...

East

Coast

Fan

#26 oldballcoach

oldballcoach

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 590 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 07:19 AM

ECF is right I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard coaches stress taking the SAT multiple times kids don’t follow through or parents. I would say the majority of time if the kid doesn’t take it it’s on them
  • ECF likes this

#27 ShoNuff07

ShoNuff07
  • Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 03:22 PM

Are coaches requesting their juniors to take the SAT/ACT a couple of times before they become seniors?  That is my question.  I am almost certain the program that ECF follows does.  They do much more of their share in helping their players exposure during the recruiting process.  I can't speak for the other schools, including the one I follow.

#28 oldballcoach

oldballcoach

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 590 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 04:18 PM

Are coaches requesting their juniors to take the SAT/ACT a couple of times before they become seniors? That is my question. I am almost certain the program that ECF follows does. They do much more of their share in helping their players exposure during the recruiting process. I can't speak for the other schools, including the one I follow.

From my experience with several different programs the ones I’ve been associated with absolutely have similar to it sounds like ECF. Like you said can’t speak for everybody but between coaching and volunteering with college recruiting I’ve been around 20 or so programs those ones are doing it correct like you mentioned.

#29 ECF

ECF
  • Members
  • 238 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 23 August 2019 - 06:09 AM

Are coaches requesting their juniors to take the SAT/ACT a couple of times before they become seniors?  That is my question.  I am almost certain the program that ECF follows does.  They do much more of their share in helping their players exposure during the recruiting process.  I can't speak for the other schools, including the one I follow.

Yes... 

East

Coast

Fan

#30 ShoNuff07

ShoNuff07
  • Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 10:42 AM

Yes... 

Ok....I trust your word.

#31 GDEF

GDEF
  • Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 10:57 AM

Howard played Mervo and Arundle. Played well. 15 kids (mostly starters) we taking the SAT’s. Howard and Mervo didn’t give up anything to each other. Mervo has a few scores against Arundle. Arundle got in once against Howard but howard scores 3 times against Arundle.

Howard has some good speed and a really good Def. Running game was lacking but it looked like their starting RB and most of their line was missing today so I expect that to improve. Didn’t really move until they started running power stuff.

#32 GDEF

GDEF
  • Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 12:49 PM

any other updates form around the county?

#33 ShoNuff07

ShoNuff07
  • Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 03:45 PM

Howard played Mervo and Arundle. Played well. 15 kids (mostly starters) we taking the SAT’s. Howard and Mervo didn’t give up anything to each other. Mervo has a few scores against Arundle. Arundle got in once against Howard but howard scores 3 times against Arundle.

Howard has some good speed and a really good Def. Running game was lacking but it looked like their starting RB and most of their line was missing today so I expect that to improve. Didn’t really move until they started running power stuff.

15 kids...taking SATs now.  And I suppose to believe Howard coaches encourages their players to take the SATs/ACTs early.  No comment...

A friend was at the scrimmage today and pretty much reported the same thing.  Said that for what Howard was missing, they look pretty good, particularly their defense. 

#34 ShoNuff07

ShoNuff07
  • Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 04:14 PM

any other updates form around the county?

From the Montgomery Co Football forum it was reported that yesterday River Hill tied Damascus while today Watkins Mill beat Glenelg (3TDs to 1 TD) and Hammond (3TDs to 1TD).

#35 BigRed

BigRed
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 06:12 PM

From the Montgomery Co Football forum it was reported that yesterday River Hill tied Damascus while today Watkins Mill beat Glenelg (3TDs to 1 TD) and Hammond (3TDs to 1TD).

Just watched the WM-Glenelg film. It was closer than the score indicated. Starters was 2-1 WM but Glenelg also got a pick on the very first drive for WM. Glenelg's defense was doing a lot of rotating but they didn't look great during one WM drive except for that first one. 

Edit: Just finished watching the other two Glenelg scrimmages. Glenelg and Middletown tied at 2 with starters it looked like. They were both evenly matched it seemed. The Glenelg-Hammond scrimmage also tied at 2. Hammond's receivers and QB look decent but they're line on both sides is big but not very good. Think Glenelg is far better than the score indicated but it looks like the rebuild with Bell has started pretty good for Hammond. Also I think the Glenelg RB's will surprise a lot of people this year. They have 3 that are pretty good just obviously not Wande good. 

• ShoNuff07 likes this

#36 ShoNuff07

ShoNuff07
  • Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 04:44 PM

Just watched the WM-Glenelg film. It was closer than the score indicated. Starters was 2-1 WM but Glenelg also got a pick on the very first drive for WM. Glenelg's defense was doing a lot of rotating but they didn't look great during one WM drive except for that first one. 

Edit: Just finished watching the other two Glenelg scrimmages. Glenelg and Middletown tied at 2 with starters it looked like. They were both evenly matched it seemed. The Glenelg-Hammond scrimmage also tied at 2. Hammond's receivers and QB look decent but they're line on both sides is big but not very good. Think Glenelg is far better than the score indicated but it looks like the rebuild with Bell has started pretty good for Hammond. Also I think the Glenelg RB's will surprise a lot of people this year. They have 3 that are pretty good just obviously not Wande good. 

Thanks for sharing your update. I am sure Glenelg will be just fine.  They have players moving up from JV that had a 2 year record of 15-1.  I am sure they will be just fine.

Last year Hammond's JV was 6-3-1.  I know I was expecting to see some improvement to the varsity.  So that is good to hear they look competitive.  Howard will scrimmage Hammond next week.  I may check them out.  I really want to see how Hammond now look. I would love to see Centennial as well.

• BigRed likes this

#37 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 08:19 AM

Balt Sun: Football Preview
https://www.baltimor...dj3q-story.html

The Sun's Initial Top 15

8. Glenelg

Coach: Tim Cullen

Last season: 13-1, No. 5

Postseason: Class 2A state finalist

Outlook: Cullen, a long-time assistant at Glenelg, takes over as head coach this season. Butch Schaffer stepped down after 2018, and Cullen hopes to keep the Gladiators rolling. They’ll have talent, despite losing running back Wande Owens (2,687 yards, 40 rushing TDs last year) to Yale, and the Gladiators will find ways to win.

13. River Hill

Coach: Brian Van Deusen

Last season: 8-4, not ranked

Postseason: Class 2A South Region finalist

Outlook: The Hawks have a bunch of key players back and should be one of the top teams in Howard County. Safety Beau Brade (126 tackles, two interceptions), a Maryland commit, and the defense will make life tough for opposing offenses.

14. Howard

Coach: Ross Hannon

Last season: 9-2, No. 15

Postseason: Class 4A North Region semifinalist

Outlook: The Lions are hoping to bounce back this year. Glenelg ended their run of Howard County championships at four, and Mervo stunned the Lions in the first round of the state playoffs. But Howard has talent on offense and defense and will be looking to rebound.

BSL Preview:

https://www.baltimor...viewing-mpssaa/

Howard’s 4-year (share w/ River Hill In ‘17, both 9-0) reign atop the county came to an end last year, with 2A runner-up Glenelg taking the county crown. The Gladiators earned their first title game berth in school history, while their +29.8 point differential ranks 8th best in county history.

Two of MPSSAA’s best running backs over the last three years have moved on, in Glenelg’s Wande Owens, who finished his illustrious career as the MPSSAA’s 2nd all-time leading rusher, with 6,354 yards, and Howard’s Devin Dawkins, who finishing as HoCo’s 4th all-time leading rusher (4,443), and 3rd all-time in touchdowns scored, with 74.

Glenelg also replaces Coach Butch Schaffer, whose .709 win percentage ranks tied for 4th best in county history, tied with former Howard Coach Bruce Strunk, and trailing only River Hill’s Brian Van Deuesen and a pair of Hall of Famers, Doug DuVall, Wilde Lake’s legendary coach, and Bill Caudill, the former 4-star General of the Howard Lions dominant early 70’s teams.

Though no county title will be awarded this season, look for Long Reach, River Hill and Glenelg to all possibly reach a quarterfinal. Howard, in a bit of a rebuild, faces a tough slate, in addition to facing the Lightning, Hawks and Gladiators, go to South Hagerstown, then to Loyola, before hosting Sherwood.

HoCo’s hottest;

Glenelg (13-1, 10-0) >>> Tim Cullen, a former assistant under Schaffer, takes over at the helm for the Gladiators. The Gladiators will be hard pressed to match last year’s run, which was led by Owens, who scored 82 touchdowns from scrimmage over his career, most in county history, and 86 touchdowns overall, three behind Mike Campanaro for best in county history. The Gladiators will battle with Liberty, Oakdale and Middletown, among others, in the 2A West.

The Gladiators do return running back Kyle Day, who averaged 8 yards a carry last year, complimenting Owens. Two-way, tight end- linebacker Drew Sotka and lineman Keith Pak will be counted on as leaders. Linebacker Trodden Bovella will bolster the defense, and kicker Chris Retzbach could be a difference maker. The Glads have won four regional titles in the last five years.

Long Reach (7-4, 7-3) >>> The Lightning have made three straight post-season appearances, winning a 3A regional title in ‘17, its first in school history, after a 10 year playoff drought from ‘06-15. The Bolts look to battle with River Hill for the top two seeds in the 3A East, with Westminster, Wilde Lake, Marriotts Ridge and Reservoir joining them.

The Lightning return one of the top receivers of 2018, junior Chris Martin, who recorded 50 receptions for 742 yards and 9 touchdowns, setting school records in receptions and touchdown receptions. Incumbent starter Jose Ribalta and Eric Benesch are battling for the quarterback position, to lead the talented skill players of Long Reach.

The running game was bolstered by River Hill transfer Jordan Perry taking his talents to Dobbin Road. Elijah Saunders will be a key contributor, at the tight end and defensive end positions, while his younger brother, sophomore Julius, should provide punch in both the backfield, and back seven.

River Hill (8-4, 7-3) >>> After winning 8 regional titles in 9 years, the Hawks look for their first in six years. The abundance of talent that once propelled the Hawks on Clarksville Pike from ‘05-13 isn’t there, but the coaching still is. Coach Brian Van Deusen, who ranks 2nd all-time in county history in wins, with 183, also ranks 2nd among current MPSSAA coaches in wins, as he enters his 20th season.

The Hawks do return arguably (rather easily) the best safety in the MPSSAA in Maryland commit Beau Brade (‘18 126 tackles), who has been laying down the hits in August. Brade, a two-time All-County 1st team selection, will be counted on to do a lot, and even more with the transfer of running back Jordan Perry to Long Reach. Linebacker Zach Igwebe adds to Brade’s riches on defense.

Howard (8-2, 8-1) moves from the MoCo dominated – with a splash of Mervo, 4A North, to the AACo dominated 4A East, headlined by Arundel and Broadneck. Coach Ross Hannon heads into his third year with the Lions, though the first without the electrifying Dawkins. The Lions, who face a relative tough schedule, may open the playoffs on the road for the first time in six years, and if not for the expanded playoff format, would have faced a real challenge to earn its 7th straight appearance.

Wilde Lake (6-4, 6-4) last won a regional title in 2010, when the Cats won their sixth state championship in school history, under Doug DuVall’s longtime assistant, Mike Harrison, who stepped down this off-season. The Cats also lost Osita Smith to Morgantown, at the next level.

Oakland Mills (7-4, 7-3) returns dual threat quarterback Kai Castle, who threw for 1,154 yards and 14 touchdowns, while adding 971 rushing yards and 13 touchdowns.

Marriotts Ridge (4-6, 4-6), who started ‘18 at 3-0, outscoring their opponents 108-6, struggled down the stretch, in large part due to losing sophomore Kameron Young, who had rushed for 595 yards in 4+ games, to injury. Young is ineligible this year, but the Mustangs do return their first FBS commit in school history, d-end, tight end-combo, Nick Harris (UConn). Sophomore Casey Pung takes over at quarterback.

Reservoir (4-6, 4-6) looks to get back in the playoff mix, as is re-tooled Atholton (2-8, 2-8).

HoCo’s headliners; WK1 Long Reach at Woodlawn, Oakdale at Wilde Lake; WK2 Howard at South Hagerstown, Smyrna DE at Glenelg; WK3 Howard at Loyola; WK4 Sherwood at Howard; WK5 Howard at Glenelg, River Hill at Wilde Lake,; WK6 Howard at Wilde Lake; WK7 Glenelg at River Hill, Wilde Lake at Long Reach; WK8 Wilde Lake at Glenelg, Long Reach at Howard; WK9 Glenelg at Long Reach, Howard at River Hill, Oakland Mills at Wilde Lake

• GDEF likes this

#38 GDEF

GDEF
  • Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 08:02 PM

ECF....how did LR do tonight against Dunbar?

#39 BSLWillieSeanCoughlan

BSLWillieSeanCoughlan

BSL HS Analyst

• Members
  • Pip
  • 676 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 08:28 PM

Long Reach 7 Dunbar 0 > The Lightning’s Eric Benesch threw a 40 yard go route for a score, and may take over the starting position.
  • GDEF likes this
@aka_themamba

#40 ECF

ECF
  • Members
  • 238 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 29 August 2019 - 10:25 PM

ECF....how did LR do tonight against Dunbar?

Long Reach - 7

Dunbar - 6 

Poets scored with 20 sec. left when Lightning had a mix of 1,3 and 4 in the game.

East

Coast

Fan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=