#21 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 21 February 2020 - 03:40 PM

Watching Emerson Hancock (Georgia) on ESPN + as I type this. He's the projected #1 pick on MLB Pipeline, and a lot of the mocks I see has Detroit taking the SS from Vanderbilt (Martin).

Hopefully we can get this kid.

@beginthebegin71

#22 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 February 2020 - 03:54 PM

Watching Emerson Hancock (Georgia) on ESPN + as I type this. He's the projected #1 pick on MLB Pipeline, and a lot of the mocks I see has Detroit taking the SS from Vanderbilt (Martin).

Hopefully we can get this kid.

He apparently got rocked in his first outing?

I still prefer a college offensive player.

#23 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 21 February 2020 - 04:13 PM

A little deeper at the top this year so we’re guaranteed to get someone with big potential. Be interesting to follow the Hancock’s, Torkelson’s, and Martin’s of the world and see if anyone takes a leap into top 5 consideration.
  • SBTarheel likes this

#24 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 21 February 2020 - 04:16 PM

He apparently got rocked in his first outing?

I still prefer a college offensive player.

Velocity dipped from 95 to 90-93 in the middle innings. Got touched up but I don’t think much hard contact.

I agree I prefer an offensive player. A little less risk and I put some faith in our new pitching development system to find some gems further down in the draft.

#25 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 21 February 2020 - 04:57 PM

7 scoreless with 8 Ks today. Was sitting 94 in the 7th. Not sure if he’s done or not.

#26 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 12:36 PM

After reading this article, I'm pretty sure that Torkelson walks on water. Sign me up!

https://www.detroitn...yer/4850662002/

@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#27 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,770 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 02:09 PM

It's like taking a MLB or RB in the 1st round of the NFL.  You can do it and it can be a good pick, but you have to be right.  The player has to be every bit as good with the bat as you hope.  Because there is no margin for error.  There is no position conversion possible for a 1B, and you have to hit quite well to be a starter on even a bad team.

There aren't even many examples of 1B going in the top-5, I think mainly because if someone already has shown the limitations that force you to move to 1B before they are done with HS or college, that doesn't bode well.  The success rate for the guys (major small sample alert) that do still get taken that early is fine, though.  So if Torkelson is a consensus top-5 pick, there isn't necessarily a reason to shy away.  It's a catch-22, as 1B aren't worthy of being drafted high but if you draft them high they are just as likely to have success as any other position.

1B have gone #1 four times:  Adrian Gonzalez in 2000, Harold Baines in 1977, Dave Roberts in 1972, and Ron Blomberg in 1967.  Three times they've gone #2: Travis Lee in 1996, Will Clark in 1985, and Lloyd Moseby in 1978.  Once they've gone #3: Andrew Vaughn in 2019.  Once they've gone #4: Brandon McCay in 2017.  None have been drafted #5.  4 good to great picks in 7 shots (ignoring the recent picks as incomplete) is actually pretty solid success rate for those picks.

• Adam Wolff, BobPhelan, JordanKough and 1 other like this

#28 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 02:53 PM

O’s fan: Trying to convince myself into Tork assuming Detroit takes Martin first. Is he really good enough as a R/R 1B to take #2 overall?

Keith Law: It sounds like it, and I feel very confident he’ll go 2 if he doesn’t go 1 (but I don’t assume Martin goes first).

http://meadowparty.c...lawchat-3-5-20/

#29 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 March 2020 - 04:09 PM

I want the college bat.

#30 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 04:58 PM

I want the college bat.

Yeah but he is a 1B with limited athleticism, don't we have enough of those?  I am hoping for Martin as well, seems like a true TOR pitcher, something this organization, not just the team, needs desperately.  

#31 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 05 March 2020 - 06:19 PM

Yeah but he is a 1B with limited athleticism, don't we have enough of those? I am hoping for Martin as well, seems like a true TOR pitcher, something this organization, not just the team, needs desperately.

Martin is a 3B but I’m hoping he falls to us too.
  • Hooded Viper likes this

#32 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 March 2020 - 06:53 PM

Yeah but he is a 1B with limited athleticism, don't we have enough of those?  I am hoping for Martin as well, seems like a true TOR pitcher, something this organization, not just the team, needs desperately.  

I don’t mean it has to be Torkelson but a high upside college bat is the safest thing in the draft and while that TOR starter would be nice, I would rather take the surer thing in the bat.

No one will be blocking Tork btw. He would probably be ready, assuming things go well, by 2022.

Mountcastle will likely be here but he doesn’t have to be at first.

No one else is likely to be here.
  • Hooded Viper likes this

#33 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 08:10 AM

Martin is a 3B but I’m hoping he falls to us too.

Ah I guess I should check before opening my proverbial mouth, I mean keyboard :). I was actually talking about Emerson Hancock, not sure why I mixed him up with Martin.  Thanks.

#34 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 08:13 AM

I don’t mean it has to be Torkelson but a high upside college bat is the safest thing in the draft and while that TOR starter would be nice, I would rather take the surer thing in the bat.

No one will be blocking Tork btw. He would probably be ready, assuming things go well, by 2022.

Mountcastle will likely be here but he doesn’t have to be at first.

No one else is likely to be here.

Gotcha, I actually meant Hancock, not Martin but I don't see how you can go wrong with either of the 3.  Of course the MLB draft is such a crapshoot who knows.

#35 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 March 2020 - 03:30 PM

NCAA cancels sports.

How does this effect the draft?

#36 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 12 March 2020 - 04:11 PM

Hope teams got some good looks at the games that were played.

Maybe a combine type thing if things are better before the draft?

#37 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 12 March 2020 - 05:06 PM

I think it has to get pushed back at least a couple of months.

It’s a shame too because a lot of players, both high school and collegiate, can really raise their draft stock in the months of March, April and May during games.

#38 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,257 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 13 March 2020 - 08:28 AM

As I posted on the main forum this could get really impacted. Since the NCAA cancelled all spring sports there is already some thought that they may give impacted students an additional year of eligibility. 

As an example, LSU has played 17 games thus far. They had 39 games, the SEC tournament, and NCAA tournament left. That's a lot of games that players had to improve their draft stock.

#39 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 13 March 2020 - 09:23 AM

There are so many questions in the sports world right now and how it affects the near and long-term future. 

#40 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 March 2020 - 11:45 AM

Things like this gets worked out.  I  think the loss of the College baseball season has a bigger affect on 2021.  Players develop over the course of the season and the loss of games will slow that.

The other question, I have is, if the MLB season gets canceled, which I do not think will happen, how are teams placed in draft order.

@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=