#61 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,825 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 06 July 2023 - 08:29 PM

I'm telling you he is still part of the big picture.

Bob, I hope you are right, because you have been on this kid for 2 years., but I think if the Orioles make a substantial trade, it may bittersweet for you.

• BobPhelan likes this
@mikeghg

#62 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 21 July 2023 - 10:31 AM

Law:

36. Joey Ortiz, SS, Baltimore Orioles

Previous ranking: No. 95

Free Joey Ortiz? He’s hopelessly blocked at this point with Gunnar Henderson and Jordan Westburg ahead of him, and Jackson Holliday coming up like a bullet train behind him, but Ortiz could be someone’s everyday shortstop right now. He’s certainly done his part, hitting .337/.394/.553 in 47 Triple-A games around a couple of brief call-ups to the majors, where he’s barely gotten off the pine. He’s a plus defender at short who reworked his swing during the pandemic to improve both his contact quality and bat path for more power. I wrote in the offseason that I thought he would “hit for a high average with 30-40 doubles and 10 homers” as a big-leaguer, and I still think that applies. Add plus defense at shortstop to that and you have a very good regular – and someone ready right now, too.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#63 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,538 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 27 July 2023 - 12:06 PM

I keep hearing this stuff and just wonder why he isn't starting for the O's.

Henderson 3b

Ortiz SS

Westburg 2b

Urias and Frazier bench

Mateo released

Even if he struggles a bit at the plate he's probably as good as Urias or Mateo. Plenty of at bats to go around. And IF he actually hits he might bolster the lineup which IMO we need to do.

Or if he's that good then trade him and get us a legit SP. Right now seems to be wasting his talents.

#64 BSLLukeRollfinke

BSLLukeRollfinke

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 27 July 2023 - 12:59 PM

I keep hearing this stuff and just wonder why he isn't starting for the O's.

Henderson 3b

Ortiz SS

Westburg 2b

Urias and Frazier bench

Mateo released

Even if he struggles a bit at the plate he's probably as good as Urias or Mateo. Plenty of at bats to go around. And IF he actually hits he might bolster the lineup which IMO we need to do.

Or if he's that good then trade him and get us a legit SP. Right now seems to be wasting his talents.

Elias hates to DFA guys which is a big problem when your worst players are out of options. I'm just hoping we can find a team who would take Mateo on in a trade, even if it barely moves the needle. Addition by subtraction, if you will.

@LukeRollfinke

#65 BSLLukeRollfinke

BSLLukeRollfinke

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 02 August 2023 - 03:11 PM

Elias has a chance to make a number of significant in house additions in the next few weeks and I think it has to start with Ortiz. He is simply too good at hitting AAA pitching to stay at Norfolk any longer. If Mateo doesn't show something in the next two games, the move has got to be made. Feed me an infield with Westburg, Ortiz, and Henderson in it together (and hopefully Mayo and Norby backing them in the not too distant future).

• BobPhelan likes this
@LukeRollfinke

#66 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,093 posts

Posted 02 August 2023 - 03:16 PM

Hey Mateo is on a modest 3-game hitting streak.  Can't pull the plug now!

Oof...he's got a 415 OPS in 197 PA since April ended.

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#67 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,684 posts

Posted 02 August 2023 - 11:39 PM

I love Joey. ALways have and think he will likely be OD SS in 2024. How they ultimately work Holliday into the mix is tbd whether Joey slides over to 2b or whatever but thats a good problem to have. The problem right now is finding him PT in the Urias, Henderson, Frazier, Westburg mix. All split better vs RHP or at least Westburg did in milb. Not sure how hes splitting up in MLB. Regardless there is a spot to start  Ortis vs lefties but thats really only the reg ABs he would get.  3 of the other 4 are going to start vs RHP. SO now as a uti guy whos better between Mateo and Ortiz. Mateo can go to the OF in a pinch and he brings elite speed. Hes a threat when he reaches base. We note how bad his offensive numbers are but when he does find a way on he steals bases and makes teams aware. Ortiz doesnt do that. Now, Mateo cant keep making these errors and non plays. His defensive play has dropped significantly as his reg playing time has decreased. So ideally Mateo is still better for this team right now than Ortiz as uti guys and starters vs LHP but thats subject to change quickly if Mateo cant get the glove right. Way way to many flout out errors and play that isnt clean of late

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#68 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,969 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 28 September 2023 - 04:19 PM

AAA

.321/.378/.507 (.885), 66 R, 30 doubles, 4 triples, 9 HR, 58 RBI, 32 BB, 11 SB, 349 AB

121 wRC+, 8.2% BB rate, 17.7% K rate, .186 ISO

#69 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,684 posts

Posted 15 May 2024 - 04:12 PM

Batted 3rd for Milwaukee today. 2-2, 2BB, HR. Joey was always one of my guys. Yeah, you too Phelan. Wish there wouldve been a way to keep him.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#70 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,969 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 15 May 2024 - 04:50 PM

Just glad he was given an opportunity to show out. In exchange for an ace of course.

• mweb08 likes this

#71 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,480 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 15 May 2024 - 04:56 PM

It turns out that it may not have been all that crazy to have him start this year with the idea of waiting on Holliday. 

#72 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,115 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 15 May 2024 - 06:34 PM

It turns out that it may not have been all that crazy to have him start this year with the idea of waiting on Holliday.

Nah I’d still take having Burnes
  • Mackus, DuffMan and BSLSteveBirrer like this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#73 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,538 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 15 May 2024 - 08:02 PM

Look its just the way this is going to go now, for a couple of years and that's great. We are going to trade some guys who are going to have good seasons. But they can't all play in Baltimore. They just can't. So all we can do is hope to get players in the trade who perform for us.

• Mackus, BaltBird 24 and DuffMan like this

#74 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,709 posts

Posted 15 May 2024 - 08:12 PM

Ortiz is a good player. You'll have to give up good players to get guys of Burnes quality. Sucks, but is what it is. At least he'll be in the NL Central for a while.
  • Mackus likes this

#75 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,480 posts

Posted 15 May 2024 - 09:07 PM

Yeah, I was all in on trading for Burnes so don't get it twisted.

Just thought that if they wanted to keep him, planning on starting him for at least the first half or so with Holliday in AAA (and of course a call up option depending on circumstances) was a reasonable option.

#76 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,480 posts

Posted 15 May 2024 - 09:08 PM

It's just a miracle that they were able to find a reasonable trade for him given how much I was told they can't just trade him to trade him. Lol

#77 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,684 posts

Posted 16 May 2024 - 07:45 AM

What are you on about. Of course the could've traded him. You were told they shouldnt trade him just to trade him. You were around here suggesting trading him for non MLB level guys. Or lower level guys who may have as much upside but were further away from the Show. Were willing to take either more risk, .90c on the dollar, or both to move him. What you were told, and going back through this thread my history shows how much I loved Ortiz, is that we should only trade him for talent that immediately helps the MLB club. Not some A ball prospect. Burnes certainly counts as immediate help for the MLB team but I still would've prefered a package that didnt involve Joey.

#78 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,684 posts

Posted 16 May 2024 - 07:51 AM

Btw you guys want another hot take that maybe youll be able to dig up in a few years and get me on. I wish we would've traded Cowser to Mil over Ortiz. Maybe wouldnt have had to give up the comp draft pick if we had. Ortiz will have the better big league career unless his concussion history continues to pop up. Thats the only way I see Cowser having much of any chance to have the better career

#79 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,684 posts

Posted 16 May 2024 - 07:58 AM

16 BB/20 Ks. .384 OBP. Could use this type of eye and contact rate in this lineup right now. I know we all expect Holliday to eventually do similar things but damn could this lineup use him now

#80 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,480 posts

Posted 16 May 2024 - 08:01 AM

Yeah, well "they shouldn't trade him just to trade him" was a silly remark. It was a strawman as I wasn't suggesting doing that, it minimized that Elias had to make a choice at some point as he was the one painting himself into a corner if he continued to hoard these young infielders, and relatedly, Ortiz' value was likely to drop if held in AAA.

I also liked Ortiz and unlike some others who had magical thinking regarding creating playing time for him, actually suggested a real way to create playing time for him while delaying the pending infielder decision.

But lo and behold, a team was willing to make a trade for Ortiz that was appealing to the O's instead of placing this substantial farm system tax on them like several suggested might be happening. Shocking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=