67 replies to this topic

#41 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 09:56 AM

This guy is gonna be a dude. Tell em Phelan. Just watch. He isnt a guy the Os brass may be meh about like Stowers, Westburg, and Norby. I fully expect a real sustained ML career for this guy as a reg. Not gonna go all in yet on an All Stat prediction but hes gonna be a good regular.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#42 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,271 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 27 April 2023 - 09:56 AM

There was already a logjam in the infield.  Will Ortiz play 2B and Gunnar DH more?  Hopefully this doesn't mean that Mateo is hurt.

If Mateo is hurt, wouldn’t he have gone to the IL instead of optioning Vavra? I just hope Ortiz doesn’t end up like Stowers.

• SonicAttack likes this

#43 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 09:59 AM

If Mateo is hurt, wouldn’t he have gone to the IL instead of optioning Vavra? I just hope Ortiz doesn’t end up like Stowers.

Depends on how serious it is. Could be lingering issue that is truly day to day. Vavra needed to go though. Was serving no purpose. Gonna be hard for him to get much of a look the rest of the way unless there is injuries. So it could be as simple as getting a better player on the 26 man roster and have little to nothing to do with Mateo

#44 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 April 2023 - 10:02 AM

This is certainly an interesting move.  I wonder if Mateo is day to day, and Ortiz is going to play.  I don't think they are promoting him to let him watch baseball games, but they did with Stowers.

@mikeghg

#45 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,348 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 10:06 AM

This guy is gonna be a dude. Tell em Phelan. Just watch. He isnt a guy the Os brass may be meh about like Stowers, Westburg, and Norby. I fully expect a real sustained ML career for this guy as a reg. Not gonna go all in yet on an All Stat prediction but hes gonna be a good regular.

Elias picked a guy 30th overall, the guy's been good at every stop and 32% better than AAA, and Elias is meh on him?

You know you don't have to tear people down every time you build someone else up.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#46 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 10:09 AM

Elias picked a guy 30th overall, the guy's been good at every stop and 32% better than AAA, and Elias is meh on him?

You know you don't have to tear people down every time you build someone else up.

I have no idea if they are meh on Stowers or Westburg or anyone else. I like them all. Dont know where you are getting this tear down stuff. The fact is Ortiz has passed Westburg. Thats clear. At least to me.

#47 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,348 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 10:16 AM

I have no idea if they are meh on Stowers or Westburg or anyone else. I like them all. Dont know where you are getting this tear down stuff. The fact is Ortiz has passed Westburg. Thats clear. At least to me.

I know you said "may be" but it still felt like a shot, an unnecessary one. But whatever it's all good.

It's getting to be go time with the prospects, so that's exciting no matter who it is.

#48 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 10:19 AM

It was no shot. I think they may be meh on him. I have nothing to really back that up other than he indeed has hit at every level but hasnt broke through. Now he has been passed by Ortiz. Granted Ortiz is also a Top 100 guy. Its also hard to break in when Mateo and Urias are legit MLers and Gunnar is the #1 prospect in baseball. All good problems to have

#49 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,051 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 27 April 2023 - 12:03 PM

Indications certainly are that they are meh on Stowers. Now they may not be but I can only go but what I see since I have no intel from the locker room or FO but they sure as heck didn't give him much of a shot if they were "high" on him.

#50 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,271 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 27 April 2023 - 12:18 PM

Indications certainly are that they are meh on Stowers. Now they may not be but I can only go but what I see since I have no intel from the locker room or FO but they sure as heck didn't give him much of a shot if they were "high" on him.

If they are actually high on Stowers then the manner in which they have handled him is blatantly incompetent.

#51 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,873 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 02:30 PM

Ortiz starting at 2B and hitting 9th tonight.

• Mackus likes this

#52 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 April 2023 - 07:29 PM

And he is on the board with a hit and 2 RBI.

@mikeghg

#53 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,372 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 28 April 2023 - 07:53 AM

I don't think they've ever been really HIGH on him. Think they've always kinda viewed him as a 4th OF right now with our current roster. Impression I get right now is they really do think he needs to start and play everyday, and they weren't going to play him over Hays/Mullins/Santander.

We are slowly seeing some logjams start to happen, which is why some have been talking about making trades for a while now. You've got a DH playing RF, but you value the C share or 1B share more at DH than getting better defense in the OF. Now you add Ortiz to the INF mix when Mateo has been our best player, Gunnar needs to play everyday, and Urias is the current GG 3B. I get some bumps and bruises, but this move doesn't feel like a couple game stop gap. Ortiz is legit.

@JeremyMStrain

#54 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 30 April 2023 - 08:21 AM

Sent back down after the run of lefties. Good first taste of the majors. Get those jitters out of the way and go back down determined to make it back.

#55 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 30 April 2023 - 08:30 AM

Shoulda remained the everyday 2b. These guys only wanna play the top 10 prospects in baseball at the ML level. And Im gonna say it, I think Ortiz would bring more value as an every day player right now than Gunnar. But its not a Gunnar vs Ortiz decision for the most part. They need to figure out who they want to keep and who they dont. Both the minor league guys and guys already established in the Show. Find some creative deals and add with the guys you dont see as part of the core. The only way all this depth comes in handy is if we have a rash of injuries. Which no one wants to see happen.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#56 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 14 May 2023 - 10:42 AM

He is back and is playing SS today.

@mikeghg

#57 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 26 May 2023 - 01:05 PM

Ortiz was sent back to Norfolk.

@mikeghg

#58 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 06 July 2023 - 03:43 PM

https://twitter.com/...968815224291330

OK we can release Mateo if necessary. But this guy has to be the SS if we do. Ill accept no Mateo releases otherwise
  • BobPhelan likes this

#59 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 06 July 2023 - 03:58 PM

I'm telling you he is still part of the big picture.

#60 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 06 July 2023 - 04:04 PM

I'm telling you he is still part of the big picture.

He better be. I need him at SS
  • BobPhelan likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=