Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,646 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 October 2019 - 06:03 PM

Might have 3 with Scott.

Scott is the one new player that I am anxious to see.   Turgeon has referenced a number of times, how he felt they got bullied by teams like MSU.  i think he recruited Scott to combat teams like that.

@mikeghg

#42 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 06:51 PM

Balt Sun: Turgeon To Run More Zone

https://www.baltimor...4jde-story.html

#43 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 October 2019 - 03:23 PM

I thought leaving the ACC was going to greatly increase their revenues?

Was that exaggerated? Are they lying about the money? Are they that shitty of a university on a business level that they don’t know how to manage money?

This whoa is me, we are broke stuff is bs imo.

#44 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,992 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 04:17 PM

I thought leaving the ACC was going to greatly increase their revenues?

Was that exaggerated? Are they lying about the money? Are they that shitty of a university on a business level that they don’t know how to manage money?

This whoa is me, we are broke stuff is bs imo.

They are only getting a partial share of Big Ten revenue (about half) and had a massive exit fee to pay to leave the ACC.

They'll have more revenue once they are a full member. But still not there yet.

And they have made some bad financial decisions in the athletic department like going from Fridge to Edsall and the big deal with no buyout options given to Turgeon. Also some unforeseen things like having to fire Durkin and staff and the pending lawsuits from that.

It's certainly not BS that the athletic department is not flush with money. They about broke even the last couple years, but that was before the Durkin disaster and pending litigation. It's gonna get worse in the short term. Current coaching staffs are not going to be fired unless there is a scandal that forces the issue or unless it's financed by an outside party.

#45 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,534 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 October 2019 - 04:31 PM

There's also the money they've spent on new Cole as well as the colossal mistake of building that tower of empty suites at Maryland Stadium.

They've had alot of financial setbacks. But I am still not sure they couldn't fire a coach if needed. The money is going to be fine eventually.

#46 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 October 2019 - 05:13 PM

When do they become a full member?

And you say the AD isn’t flush with money. How do you know that’s actually true?

#47 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 October 2019 - 05:20 PM

Well, the AD needs some money so that they can start buying some good football players!
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#48 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,992 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 07:31 AM

When do they become a full member?

And you say the AD isn’t flush with money. How do you know that’s actually true?

2021 they get a full share.

They are a public university, revenues and expenses are public record. The release of that info lags a bit, FY17 is the latest year I've seen.

#49 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 October 2019 - 08:08 AM

2021 they get a full share.
They are a public university, revenues and expenses are public record. The release of that info lags a bit, FY17 is the latest year I've seen.

They certainly could be cooking the books some though.

#50 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,992 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 08:15 AM

Almost anything is possible I suppose. Seems wildly unlikely to me with all the eyes on the program.

#51 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 01:26 PM

They certainly could be cooking the books some though.

This has been my stance. Given the money they generate, if it was leaked that they have an extra $50M or so lying around at years end, why would boosters make donations? See anyone giving $5M to the Yankees just because? Plus with the money we’re talking, players will want their cut. God knows we can’t have that.

Ohio State generates $205M in athletics last year. $110M just from football. They showed athletics profited, or ended the year with a surplus of only $1.7M. Granted they have more sports than MD, like ice hockey, but that’s more revenue too

Maryland athletics in 2017 did $94.88M in revenue and $94.79M in expenses for a profit of roughly $90,000.

Football ticket sales alone OSU blows MD away. What the schools show the public is, convenient, is the best I can say.
@BSLMikeRandall

#52 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 02:41 PM

Rob & Mike...  these are horrible takes. 

Not quite as bad a take as me thinking that since MD has as much or more talent on their roster as 8 of their opponents that they'd breakthrough to a lower-tier bowl and show progression as a program.....  but pretty close.

And it's the same discussions we've had previously and regularly the last few years (football struggles, Durkin, the idea of buying out Turgeon, bringing in someone else of note).

Someone will pop in and say what Rob said in this thread, "I thought leaving the ACC... "   and he'll be shown the finances have improved, revenue is increasing... but not full shares yet... and while finances have improved from lots of red to livable... that doesn't mean the Athletic Department is flush with cash.   Especially after Durkin, his staff, etc. 

Mike has promoted the same thought for years.  That Maryland has the funds to do what they want. 

But they clearly don't.

Using the 2017 reported numbers, there were huge disparities in football spending in the Big Ten.
Which makes sense.... given that there are huge disparities in revenue generated by program. 

(If you want to argue chicken and the egg... that is something I can get behind. Or at-least the idea that MD is going to need to find ways to eat into that spending disparity, if they want to increase the odds the program can become competitive and thus increase the odds the football program does more on the field and does more to generate revenue for the athletic program as a whole.) 

This 2018 Diamondback article has a good overall description of where MD was, is currently, and going financially. 

College Park is a fantastic public institution.   And if you want to argue that since it's part of one of the richest 100 university systems per endowment, that those funds should be available to utilize.... okay, but apparently that's not how it works. Those endowments have to generate returns, funds are earmarked, there are the regular operating expenses...  the Universities revenue as a whole does not correlate 1:1 with Athletic Department revenue and expenses. 

(College Park by itself has a reported (2018) endowment of $540M.)

If the University could write itself a check, and just get stuff done... they wouldn't still be fundraising to finalize Cole, and the new basketball training facility they want....That said, I grant you that payouts to McNair's family came from there. 

I mean if Turgeon was guilty of something horrendous (that for this example we're saying wouldn't void his contract) than I'm sure the University could find the $ from somewhere to buy him out. 

But if MD fails to match Top 10 expectations this Winter, they aren't going to raid the couch cushions (other parts of the University) to give the Athletic Department the means to to move on.

• BSLZackKiesel likes this

#53 RaphielleJohnson

RaphielleJohnson

HOF

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 05:45 PM

BSL: What should the expectations be for Maryland?

https://www.baltimor...tions-maryland/

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#54 Ojielo

Ojielo
  • Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 06:41 PM

Top 15-20. Definitely not a top 10 team.
Marine Corps Sniper...One Shot One Kill

#55 RaphielleJohnson

RaphielleJohnson

HOF

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 10:31 PM

BSL: Balance, defense the early keys for Maryland

https://www.baltimor...-keys-maryland/

• BSLChrisStoner and Mike B like this

#56 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,646 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 18 November 2019 - 02:03 PM

BSL: Balance, defense the early keys for Maryland

https://www.baltimor...-keys-maryland/

Good read, hoping to see the shooting pick up and one of the bigs, joining Smith as a solid inside option.

Also looking forward to being able to see the games on TV this week.

@mikeghg

#57 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 19 November 2019 - 02:00 PM

Agreed.  I think Notre Dame will be better this year, but not sure how the Maryland-ND match up was decided on.

I assumed it was random/rotating?  Is it not?  It sure feels like when we're good, we always draw the bad teams, and when we're bad, we get UNC and get steamrolled.

#58 ChrisKnoche

ChrisKnoche

HOF

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 09:53 PM

BSL: Terps Basketball 5-0; Temple Next

https://www.baltimor...-0-temple-next/

• BSLChrisStoner and Mike B like this

#59 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 25 November 2019 - 12:53 PM

Terps move up to #5 in this week's AP Poll.

@BSLZackKiesel

#60 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 02:34 PM

Balt Sun: With faster offense, dynamic defense, No. 5 Maryland basketball less predictable — and more dangerous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=