208 replies to this topic

#21 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,292 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 07:52 PM

Still wish the OOC was strong. 

Hope they get the best / hardest possible draw in Orlando.  Beating Temple after Temple beat MD in Football the last two years would also be enjoyable. 

A win in the ACC / Big Ten Challenge for the first time since joining the Big Ten would be nice. 

#22 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,645 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 14 October 2019 - 01:50 PM

I do like how the OOC schedule seems to get a little tougher as the Terps approach the B10 portion of the schedule.

I think we can assume, Turgeon is never going to play a power OOC schedule.  This one seems a little better.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@mikeghg

#23 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 14 October 2019 - 02:18 PM

That Seton Hall game will be a good one. Easy trip up to Newark so I'd expect a decent amount of Maryland fans there.

• BSLChrisStoner and Mike B like this

#24 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 October 2019 - 06:33 PM

MD should be playing a better ACC team

#25 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,645 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 15 October 2019 - 11:06 AM

MD should be playing a better ACC team

Agreed.  I think Notre Dame will be better this year, but not sure how the Maryland-ND match up was decided on.

@mikeghg

#26 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,292 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 08:58 AM

Balt Sun: Schmuck: Turgeon might have team for the ages. Can he take it to the next level?

https://www.baltimor...p7ay-story.html

#27 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 09:40 AM

"Team for the ages..."

What a ridiculous headline.  Article is fine.

• Mike B and Mike in STL like this

#28 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 09:41 AM

As much hype as this season is getting, I will hold off on my criticism. We will see.

But as much hype as this season is getting, it should cost Turge his job if they don’t get a double bye in the BTT, don’t get to a real competitive Saturday game, and don’t get to the S16.
@BSLMikeRandall

#29 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 09:54 AM

DJ Durkin cemented Turgeon's job security after Turgeon's own contract extension had already bought him ample security.  An already borderline financial situation for the athletic department got made much worse.  Barring a major scandal or the major boosters turning on him and funding the massive payment owed, Turgeon isn't being fired after this season.

Turgeon's current contract goes through the 2022-2023 season and if fired after this year he'd be due half of his remaining 3 years salary in 60 days and the rest over those 3 years.  Maybe in the most recent years the revenue picture has changed and money to do this exists, but the most recent I've seen (fiscal year ending in June 2017) showed the athletic department breaking even, before paying off Durkin and whatever settlements and lawsuits are coming.  I don't think assuming they have the money to fire Turgeon and hire another similarly priced replacement is a safe or fair assumption.  

#30 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 10:47 AM

DJ Durkin cemented Turgeon's job security after Turgeon's own contract extension had already bought him ample security. An already borderline financial situation for the athletic department got made much worse. Barring a major scandal or the major boosters turning on him and funding the massive payment owed, Turgeon isn't being fired after this season.

Turgeon's current contract goes through the 2022-2023 season and if fired after this year he'd be due half of his remaining 3 years salary in 60 days and the rest over those 3 years. Maybe in the most recent years the revenue picture has changed and money to do this exists, but the most recent I've seen (fiscal year ending in June 2017) showed the athletic department breaking even, before paying off Durkin and whatever settlements and lawsuits are coming. I don't think assuming they have the money to fire Turgeon and hire another similarly priced replacement is a safe or fair assumption.

Pretending I actually believe that big time schools “break even” or don’t profit, if the team can’t take the next step given the hype, then the boosters need to pony up. If they don’t, then the boosters are stupid and they need new boosters.
@BSLMikeRandall

#31 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 11:29 AM

Pretending I actually believe that big time schools “break even” or don’t profit, if the team can’t take the next step given the hype, then the boosters need to pony up. If they don’t, then the boosters are stupid and they need new boosters.

If giant piles of money could just appear out of nowhere it would certainly solve a lot of the problems with the athletic department.

#32 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 02:25 PM

If giant piles of money could just appear out of nowhere it would certainly solve a lot of the problems with the athletic department.

Big 10 schools are getting paid out double from Big 10 Network just in the time Maryland has been in the conference. They were getting IIRC $20M+ in 2014, and now it is like $52M because BTN has deals with FOX. 

Must be nice in one year to have an extra $10-20M appear out of nowhere, for doing nothing but existing. Certainly not for being a good team.  

Besides, last year I already went the route that if we go by the balance sheets made public, and pretending they are up and up and not fixed at all, all Maryland has to do is cut back on transportation. By that I mean pay for transportation what Penn State pays, and they can have the money to boot Turge. I'm sure Penn State isn't traveling by horse and buggy to each event.

@BSLMikeRandall

#33 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 02:37 PM

Terps and Rutgers still aren't getting a full share of the Big 10 Revenue.  It's less than half of what the other schools get (though the Terps did get a huge loan from the Big 10).

https://www.testudot...iscal-year-2018

I don't recall seeing the breakdown of the budgets to that fine of a degree.  If there are places to trim and end up acquiring the money needed to buy out Turgeon I'd be good with that.  Matching Penn State's travel budget seems like a reasonable benchmark.  

I'm really interested in seeing the numbers from the last two years when they come out.  And also seeing how things like the buyouts for Durkin and his staff, the investigation costs, and the coming payout to the McNair family will be handled and balanced against the increases in revenue from getting closer to a full Big 10 share.

#34 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 03:02 PM

Terps and Rutgers still aren't getting a full share of the Big 10 Revenue.  It's less than half of what the other schools get (though the Terps did get a huge loan from the Big 10).

https://www.testudot...iscal-year-2018

I don't recall seeing the breakdown of the budgets to that fine of a degree.  If there are places to trim and end up acquiring the money needed to buy out Turgeon I'd be good with that.  Matching Penn State's travel budget seems like a reasonable benchmark.  

I'm really interested in seeing the numbers from the last two years when they come out.  And also seeing how things like the buyouts for Durkin and his staff, the investigation costs, and the coming payout to the McNair family will be handled and balanced against the increases in revenue from getting closer to a full Big 10 share.

Did not know that part. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#35 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,645 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 16 October 2019 - 08:53 PM

IMO, unless it is at his own hands, Turgeon is not going anywhere.

Time to move on and get to the basketball

@mikeghg

#36 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 08:42 AM

Good primer for the season, Chris.  Thanks.

I'm surprised you don't think Ayala is a lock for the starting 5.  I know that'd be a bit guard/wing heavy with Morsell having to defend at the 4, so makes sense that we'd consider Lindo or Mitchell instead of Ayala in certain games.  

I also get the feeling that Morsell might be a great 6th man, able to come in and replace nearly anyone on the starting 5 that needs an early break or is off to a rough start.  I'd still have him be top-5 in minutes because he's so vital, but I like the idea of him entering off the bench.  When he's in the starting lineup, coaches can prepare their players to watch out for his strengths offensively and force him to do things he's not as good at.  But off the bench, maybe he's overlooked a bit and he can take surprise teams with his slashing and transition play.

• Mike B likes this

#37 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,645 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 October 2019 - 11:12 AM

Good primer for the season, Chris.  Thanks.

I'm surprised you don't think Ayala is a lock for the starting 5.  I know that'd be a bit guard/wing heavy with Morsell having to defend at the 4, so makes sense that we'd consider Lindo or Mitchell instead of Ayala in certain games.  

I also get the feeling that Morsell might be a great 6th man, able to come in and replace nearly anyone on the starting 5 that needs an early break or is off to a rough start.  I'd still have him be top-5 in minutes because he's so vital, but I like the idea of him entering off the bench.  When he's in the starting lineup, coaches can prepare their players to watch out for his strengths offensively and force him to do things he's not as good at.  But off the bench, maybe he's overlooked a bit and he can take surprise teams with his slashing and transition play.

I think the top 6 all get around 30 minutes per game average, but I like your idea of having Morsell be the 6th man, possibly jumping in for someone having an off game or attacking the opposing player who has the hot hand.

@mikeghg

#38 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,645 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 October 2019 - 11:27 AM

Morsell is the type of player every good team needs.  He is the tough, versatile guy, who seems to enjoy marking the other teams best player.  Every good team needs a player who is happy doing the dirty work.

@mikeghg

#39 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 12:33 PM

Morsell is the type of player every good team needs.  He is the tough, versatile guy, who seems to enjoy marking the other teams best player.  Every good team needs a player who is happy doing the dirty work.

We've got two of them, between Morsell and Lindo.

#40 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,292 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 12:52 PM

We've got two of them, between Morsell and Lindo.

Might have 3 with Scott.

• Mike B likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=