#21 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 15 February 2019 - 02:49 PM

Yep. Easier to buy him off and be done with it. Not like the payment will even remotely hurt the NFL.

Reid getting 22M certainly helps too.

Once this was gaining steam, they should have done this to begin with. Rumor has it that Kap/Reid had some pretty damning stuff to depose. 

This was the best move for all involved, and the NFL won't even feel it. And to be fair, I think this increases the chance of Kap getting at least a look next year.

#22 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 15 February 2019 - 02:54 PM

Mods, can we split this out? I think this should be its own discussion but I don't want to make a full new post.

#23 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 15 February 2019 - 03:12 PM

I'm glad they were compensated. Curious to the $ figure, but I'm guessing they got a good amount, which would be just.
  • The Epic likes this

#24 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 15 February 2019 - 03:20 PM

I'm glad they were compensated. Curious to the $ figure, but I'm guessing they got a good amount, which would be just.

To quote someone on Twitter, in order for the NFL (who took Tom Brady to court) to settle, the stuff Kap had must have been incredibly serious.

He got stupid paid.

#25 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 03:37 PM

So in the end he took a payout to keep his mouth shut when, supposedly, he was standing up for the little people?  Wonder how all the people who felt he was speaking for them will view this.

#26 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 February 2019 - 03:41 PM

So in the end he took a payout to keep his mouth shut when, supposedly, he was standing up for the little people?  Wonder how all the people who felt he was speaking for them will view this.

There are 2 sides to this.

1) This was a case about money...since he wasn’t in the league.

2) This was a case that was about money but the injustice stuff was the bigger deal...so, does that mean you sold out?

Some will see it as a sell out, some won’t.

I just hope we don’t ever have to hear about it again.

#27 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 15 February 2019 - 03:43 PM

The disclosure is only about the money. Talking about racial injustice, working with KYR, etc doesn't change one bit.

People assume you have to go broke to fight, for some reason. 

• mweb08 likes this

#28 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 04:03 PM

The disclosure is only about the money. Talking about racial injustice, working with KYR, etc doesn't change one bit.

People assume you have to go broke to fight, for some reason. 

I am a white male and could never understand the injustice, and I am for sure not saying he sold out.  My point is, this allows his return to the NFL, most likely, and I assume this means he cannot kneel during the anthem.  I am just curious how those who felt he was taking up their cause will feel now?  That's all, not a political comment just curiosity.    

#29 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,966 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 04:09 PM

I don't know if Kaepernick has to kneel any more anyway - it's not like Smith and Carlos did the black power salute every time they won a race for the rest of their lives, and nobody thinks they sold out.  You can raise awareness in other ways.

#30 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 15 February 2019 - 04:11 PM

Whoa. 

...I guess he got paid. I really thought he'd get nothing. 

Yeah, I'm guessing for them to go this far, some idiot put something in writing they shouldn't have and these guys got a hold of it. We all know what it was, this league cares not for legalities, it does what it wants (see that Dallas/Was thing when they ignored the collusion demand and then faced fines and punishment for doing nothing illegal) anytime you have a league that can flex on you like that and not lose in court, you've got way too much power at the table. I'm glad that they are getting knocked down a peg...but since the details of the settlement are so hush hush, I have a feeling that's going to be more interesting.

I'm betting lost wages claim he got over $100m to keep his mouth shut.

• The Epic likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#31 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 04:13 PM

I don't know if Kaepernick has to kneel any more anyway - it's not like Smith and Carlos did the black power salute every time they won a race for the rest of their lives, and nobody thinks they sold out. You can raise awareness in other ways.

True, and hopefully he does continue to raise awareness and I'm sure he'll remain active with putting in work to help deal with racial injustice. And hopefully we keep hearing about him, but importantly the cause he stands up for.
  • The Epic likes this

#32 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 15 February 2019 - 04:22 PM

I am a white male and could never understand the injustice, and I am for sure not saying he sold out.  My point is, this allows his return to the NFL, most likely, and I assume this means he cannot kneel during the anthem.  I am just curious how those who felt he was taking up their cause will feel now?  That's all, not a political comment just curiosity.    

I am too, and while I can't put myself in his shoes or say what it feels like in a million years, I can see it and understand it. I had a longer post typed explaining how it's there people are who they are, and we aren't far removed from wide spread racism, so it's not shocking at all to see it. It's more shocking to see people pretend it's not still a thing or a problem. No matter what I type it doesn't seem to do it justice though. It's just sad people still think certain ways, and infuriating to see the way they behave.

• mweb08 likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#33 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 15 February 2019 - 04:31 PM

There are people in the NFL that still kneel. Hell, Reid still kneels. So I would assume that this doesn't change. But I guess we'll find out in August.

Protests are created to bring awareness, and he has, by every measure, been successful in that regard. Whether he kneels or not, that's clear.

#34 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,973 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 04:40 PM

I assume this means he cannot kneel during the anthem.

I don't think there is any chance that this agreement includes language that - if he returns to the NFL - Kaepernick is not allowed to kneel during the anthem. Absolutely impossible, IMO.

#35 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 04:40 PM

I am too, and while I can't put myself in his shoes or say what it feels like in a million years, I can see it and understand it. I had a longer post typed explaining how it's there people are who they are, and we aren't far removed from wide spread racism, so it's not shocking at all to see it. It's more shocking to see people pretend it's not still a thing or a problem. No matter what I type it doesn't seem to do it justice though. It's just sad people still think certain ways, and infuriating to see the way they behave.

Not only are we not far from wide spread racism, it currently exists.

I just finished a multi day lesson basically explaining how we reached the point we're today with such vast levels of inequality between whites and African- Americans. Anyways, there are obviously significant causes from before most of us were alive, but there are also modern day causes.
  • JeremyStrain likes this

#36 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 05:17 PM

I don't think there is any chance that this agreement includes language that - if he returns to the NFL - Kaepernick is not allowed to kneel during the anthem. Absolutely impossible, IMO.

Yeah this is probably true.  The NFL has bypass this anyway by either not showing the anthem or, I assume, not showing those who kneel, so even if he gets back in the league I doubt the will show him kneeling.  That being said, Epic stated Reid is still kneeling and I haven't seen it, but he obviously knows so maybe the NFL is still showing the protest.

#37 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 06:31 PM

Personally I wish the NFL had seen the case through.  I really didn't think Kaepernick could win his case.  It's not enough to say he isn't getting a chance because he is taking a knee.  It isn't even enough to say every team is refusing him an opportunity because he is taking a knee.  To win a collusion case you have to prove that every NFL owner conspired together and agreed as a whole to not hire him.  It's pretty tough without some physical evidence such as a recorded conversation or email that presents evidence of that to prove that all 32 owners got together and decided to blackball him.  And if they had that, why would they settle?  It's hard to believe that all 32 of the NFL owners can agree on much of anything.  But this is what the NFL wanted.  The knee thing is no longer an issue.  The anthem is not being shown on TV anymore.  Hardly any players take a knee anymore.  Nobody did at the Superbowl.   TV ratings and attendance started coming back this season.  The NFL figured it was better to pay them off under a confidentiality agreement and move on.   

#38 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 06:32 PM

Personally I wish the NFL had seen the case through. I really didn't think Kaepernick could win his case. It's not enough to say he isn't getting a chance because he is taking a knee. It isn't even enough to say every team is refusing him an opportunity because he is taking a knee. To win a collusion case you have to prove that every NFL owner conspired together and agreed as a whole to not hire him. It's pretty tough without some physical evidence such as a recorded conversation or email that presents evidence of that to prove that all 32 owners got together and decided to blackball him. And if they had that, why would they settle? It's hard to believe that all 32 of the NFL owners can agree on much of anything. But this is what the NFL wanted. The knee thing is no longer an issue. The anthem is not being shown on TV anymore. Hardly any players take a knee anymore. Nobody did at the Superbowl. TV ratings and attendance started coming back this season. The NFL figured it was better to pay them off under a confidentiality agreement and move on.

Why would you root for the NFL?
  • Mashed Potatoes and DJ MC like this

#39 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 February 2019 - 06:48 PM

Personally I wish the NFL had seen the case through. I really didn't think Kaepernick could win his case. It's not enough to say he isn't getting a chance because he is taking a knee. It isn't even enough to say every team is refusing him an opportunity because he is taking a knee. To win a collusion case you have to prove that every NFL owner conspired together and agreed as a whole to not hire him. It's pretty tough without some physical evidence such as a recorded conversation or email that presents evidence of that to prove that all 32 owners got together and decided to blackball him. And if they had that, why would they settle? It's hard to believe that all 32 of the NFL owners can agree on much of anything. But this is what the NFL wanted. The knee thing is no longer an issue. The anthem is not being shown on TV anymore. Hardly any players take a knee anymore. Nobody did at the Superbowl. TV ratings and attendance started coming back this season. The NFL figured it was better to pay them off under a confidentiality agreement and move on.

Some potential answers:

http://www.espn.com/...rnick-eric-reid

#40 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 February 2019 - 06:52 PM

60-80M?

https://www.12up.com.../partners/44566