#3 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 14 February 2019 - 11:18 PM

They were reaching out to him solely for the value of the attention the league would get from his participation, and he put a valuation on that attention.

@DJ_McCann

#4 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 February 2019 - 11:29 PM

They were reaching out to him solely for the value of the attention the league would get from his participation, and he put a valuation on that attention.

He put out a number he knew they wouldn’t give him.

This was a chance for him to show teams in the NFL that he still has the athleticism and arm to be an NFL QB.

If he tore it up and still wasn’t getting a chance, it was more fuel for the fire.
  • JeremyStrain likes this

#5 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 03:41 AM

He got an offer to play football for the same salary everyone in the league makes. And a guy of his profile can supplement that with endorsement after endorsement.

He turned it down. That’s on him.

The AAF is specifically a developmental league for the NFL. The guy wasn’t great his last season. Hasn’t seen the field in two years+. It’s an opportunity to get back there by showing you still have it.

If he destroys the competition, is league MVP and some NFL team plucks a mediocre white QB out of there over him, he’d absolutely have some kind of case. He could legit claim racial discrimination at that point. Right now his case isn’t strong enough for that.

But he turned that down.
  • SportsGuy likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#6 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 February 2019 - 08:17 AM

The NFL wouldn't give a shit. They would put out press leaks and legal briefs amounting to, "SEE! He can still earn a living by playing football! We're not hurting him at all!"

This is about principle for both sides.

They may not care (agree they wouldn’t) but for someone who keeps saying, I want to play football, you figure he would go out and play football.

(Btw, I’m of the opinion that he really doesn’t want to play at this point unless he is paid a lot of money and he knows he won’t get that amount)

#7 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 15 February 2019 - 09:33 AM

He got an offer to play football for the same salary everyone in the league makes. And a guy of his profile can supplement that with endorsement after endorsement.

He turned it down. That’s on him.

The AAF is specifically a developmental league for the NFL. The guy wasn’t great his last season. Hasn’t seen the field in two years+. It’s an opportunity to get back there by showing you still have it.

If he destroys the competition, is league MVP and some NFL team plucks a mediocre white QB out of there over him, he’d absolutely have some kind of case. He could legit claim racial discrimination at that point. Right now his case isn’t strong enough for that.

But he turned that down.

1. They aren't a developmental league. That's a goal for them, and the NFL would likely want to go down that path if they prove themselves, but the NFL won't acknowledge that yet.

2. If the NFL overlooks him again, they have a million excuses they can use that will boil down to, "We can choose whomever we want for whatever reason we want," and people will be thrilled to defend that.

The AAF doesn't offer him any worthwhile opportunity. Like I said, this is about principle for BOTH sides, and the league isn't going do something different until legally forced.

@DJ_McCann

#8 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 February 2019 - 10:08 AM

1. They aren't a developmental league. That's a goal for them, and the NFL would likely want to go down that path if they prove themselves, but the NFL won't acknowledge that yet.

2. If the NFL overlooks him again, they have a million excuses they can use that will boil down to, "We can choose whomever we want for whatever reason we want," and people will be thrilled to defend that.

The AAF doesn't offer him any worthwhile opportunity. Like I said, this is about principle for BOTH sides, and the league isn't going do something different until legally forced.

It absolutely offers him a worthwhile opportunity. It shows teams that he can still play...it says to the doubters of his actual game look, I still move great, have the arm strength, etc...

On top of that, it gives him even more ammo for his collision case if he plays well and doesn’t get a chance after that, especially when we see other AAF guys getting tryouts and chances to make rosters, which will definitely happen.

And he obviously sees it as worthwhile but only for a certain price. That “price” isn’t playing football and showing you can still do it...it’s money and only money and he feels he should get way way more than anyone else in the league. Why? Why does he deserve that?
  • Mike in STL likes this

#9 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 10:19 AM

It also gives him a platform to maybe not take a knee, if he desires.

Sounds simplistic, but if he doesn't take a knee, simpletons that get butthurt over that will be like, "cool, he's changed, he's not disrespectful anymore, and he can help my team win." 

Eric Reid got signed last year and it was barely news and there was no backlash. People in the league might not even care about that anymore. They don't show the anthem on TV anymore, so out of sight out of mind could apply. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#10 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 February 2019 - 10:30 AM

He would still take a knee.

But like you said, it’s a non story in the nfl now since it’s not shown on TV.

Sure, they will talk about it at first but that will go away after it’s not fresh news anymore.

#11 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 15 February 2019 - 10:54 AM

For what it's worth, neither side is confirming that report. It's literally one guy. Sooooooo I'd wait on this. 

That said, I'm sure if he said it: he said thanks no thanks, the brass asked what it would take to get him in the door, and he jokingly said $20mm.

#12 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 February 2019 - 11:06 AM

For what it's worth, neither side is confirming that report. It's literally one guy. Sooooooo I'd wait on this. 

That said, I'm sure if he said it: he said thanks no thanks, the brass asked what it would take to get him in the door, and he jokingly said $20mm.

Well, Polian basically confirmed it, so I would say its likely true.

And I tend to doubt it was a joke and if it was, that's even more fuel for the fire of those who think he really doesn't want to play again.  

#13 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 15 February 2019 - 11:34 AM

Well, Polian basically confirmed it, so I would say its likely true.

And I tend to doubt it was a joke and if it was, that's even more fuel for the fire of those who think he really doesn't want to play again.  

This same thing happened with the CFL, what, 2 years ago, and that really didn't change much at all. Also Polian confirmed that they talked to him/his camp, but nothing more than that. I stick by what I think happened, because honest-to-goodness asking for more than what four teams combined would be making is...a bit much. 

I think it'll be a non-mover from a public perception standpoint. 

#14 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 15 February 2019 - 11:41 AM

2. If the NFL overlooks him again, they have a million excuses they can use that will boil down to, "We can choose whomever we want for whatever reason we want," and people will be thrilled to defend that.

The NFL is broadcasting their games, and fit their season between the Super Bowl and NFL Draft...I'm pretty sure they are well down the road of a developmental league. Yeah..in general you are right, but seems like behind the scenes there's more of a plan to that than they are letting on.

Because it's so knee deep in litigation at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if he's being told by counsel NOT to accept it. On the one hand it does hurt his case a little more, if he were truly serious about getting back to the NFL he could shoot all those BS arguments about talent, ability and time off down by accepting and playing. On the other, it does give the NFL an avenue to say look, we didn't limit his ability to perform his chosen profession, we just eliminated one potential employer, as is any employer's right.

I'd love to see what the arguments on both sides of this case actually are. Cause right now we are all just guessing, and then there's common sense we can all see, but what is put on paper is what will win or lose this case, and that tends to be a little different than common sense.

I was expecting this for both him, Tebow, and Manziel though, I'm not going to lie.

• DJ MC likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#15 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 February 2019 - 11:50 AM

They asked Tebow as well but he said he wants to concentrate on baseball.

#16 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 15 February 2019 - 12:43 PM

They asked Tebow as well but he said he wants to concentrate on baseball.

He's the same kind of attention draw. Works in the minors especially, but when they have to decide to give him a spot on the 25 man, I'm betting he learns that's not going to be the path for him.

It's going to be funny in about a year or two when this league has some success, and teams start signing players from it, guys like Tebow will be begging to get in, and they won't sign them in favor of actually young prospects and UDFA.

I saw something the other day that said there's like 210% more UDFA in the NFL right now than 6-7 round picks combined. If they can figure out how to get this development team to work out, short of a team for every NFL team...I dunno if that will work or not, I guess depends on the length of season. It has real potential. Imagine constantly having a young QB developing and learning your system down there and not having to invest a 1st rounder or sign a $20m contract every time the need comes up.

Scott Mcloughlan would be my first hire as GM. Alcohol or not...that dude KNOWS talent.

@JeremyMStrain

#17 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,966 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 02:26 PM

I wonder if this will make it more likely that CK signs with an AAF team.

DzeBNkRUUAE9wh_.jpg

#18 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 15 February 2019 - 02:31 PM

Whoa. 

...I guess he got paid. I really thought he'd get nothing. 

#19 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 02:44 PM

Good they worked something out. 

Convenient timing. NFL really wants to be the lead 365 days a year. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#20 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 February 2019 - 02:47 PM

Whoa.

...I guess he got paid. I really thought he'd get nothing.

Yep. Easier to buy him off and be done with it. Not like the payment will even remotely hurt the NFL.

Reid getting 22M certainly helps too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=