#41 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 15 February 2019 - 06:52 PM

And if they had that, why would they settle?

Why wouldn't they?

@DJ_McCann

#42 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 15 February 2019 - 06:56 PM

I don't think there is any chance that this agreement includes language that - if he returns to the NFL - Kaepernick is not allowed to kneel during the anthem. Absolutely impossible, IMO.

Yeah the settlement was about the collusion keeping him from getting a job. Which means they got a hold of notification to the teams telling them not to sign him. This has NOTHING to do with kneeling and can't control that.

It'll be interesting now to see if teams STILL won't sign him. I know I'll be keeping a close eye on a certain local team in desperate need of a QB.

@JeremyMStrain

#43 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 15 February 2019 - 06:58 PM

60-80M?

https://www.12up.com.../partners/44566

If this is roughly accurate, I'd suggest that there's no way the NFL would have settled unless they thought there was a good chance at losing. Moving on from this wouldn't be worth anything close to that to them imo.

#44 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,290 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 07:03 PM

The NFL does something like $9B a year in revenue. $70M to basically be done with the story was probably deemed worthwhile by the league.

#45 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 15 February 2019 - 07:03 PM

If this is roughly accurate, I'd suggest that there's no way the NFL would have settled unless they thought there was a good chance at losing. Moving on from this wouldn't be worth anything close to that to them imo.

I really think that Kap was on the verge of revealing something big in discovery, even if it wouldn't help his case.

That's the ONLY way that they would settle, if the NFL had a solid case to win.

#46 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,290 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 07:08 PM

I really think that Kap was on the verge of revealing something big in discovery, even if it wouldn't help his case.

That's the ONLY way that they would settle, if the NFL had a solid case to win.

Yeah, I think the NFL just found a number that makes the story go away (after this initial discussion on the deal) for an amount astronomical for us mortals and effectively peanuts for them.

#47 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 07:15 PM

The NFL does something like $9B a year in revenue. $70M to basically be done with the story was probably deemed worthwhile by the league.

Based on what? I don't see how this makes any sense unless they thought there was a good chance they'd lose.

#48 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 07:16 PM

And this doesn't make the story go away. It just moves up the timing of when it's a big story, and makes them look guilty in the process.

#49 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,290 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 07:19 PM

Based on what? I don't see how this makes any sense unless they thought there was a good chance they'd lose.

Based on the math. $70M is less than 1% of their revenue for the year. It's not nothing, but not overly significant to them either.

The story gets some discussion the next few weeks and flames out. Better for the league then discussion being extended through a trial...where public opinion could again sway back against them.

#50 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 07:22 PM

Based on the math. $70M is less than 1% of their revenue for the year. It's not nothing, but not overly significant to them either.

The story gets some discussion the next few weeks and flames out. Better for the league then discussion being extended through a trial...where public opinion could again sway back against them.

I don't see how this could possibly help with public opinion other than if what would have been revealed without a settlement would have been worse for PR.

Also, there's no way these owners are happy about paying 2+ million each towards this if those numbers are accurate.

#51 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,290 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 07:29 PM

If the league does $9B in annual revenue, a $70M payout is basically the same as someone making $50k paying a $400 fine.

I'm guessing they just shrugged their shoulders and wired the $.

I dont think there had to be anything unknown to come out to get the league to want the story to go away. And yeah, some headlines today, and the next few weeks will exist...but there will be an end point. Had they gone to trial, it's an unknown ending for them. And probably more headlines and discussions then this deal will generate.

At least that's my guess on what they decided.

#52 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 15 February 2019 - 07:33 PM

I don't see how this could possibly help with public opinion other than if what would have been revealed without a settlement would have been worse for PR.

Also, there's no way these owners are happy about paying 2+ million each towards this if those numbers are accurate.

Seriously, social media should troll the hell out of these owners until someone slips up and says something stupid. Just keep costing themselves money. LOL

But for real, if I could make a wild guess...an owner or two said some -very- racist things about Kap while referencing his protest. Again, wild guess. And that still wouldn't be enough for him to win his case.

I think the NFL, in all their power, did want to make this go away, but is that worth more to them than being right? I don't know.

And either way, it isn't going away. Especially as long as Reid is in the league.

#53 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 07:47 PM

They would have settled right away if that was there strategy. This is a notoriously petty league and ownership group, so yeah, not buying that they suddenly decided to pay that kind of money, which on principle alone, would be far from insignificant to many of these guys, if the only motive was to move up the timing of when it would be a big story (and potentially somewhat shorten the time it's a big story).

Plus, a settlement doesn't make sense from a PR angle, again, unless more damaging stuff was to come out. Anti Kap people can't be happy with the NFL caving in and paying him a ton of money. And pro-Kap people would look at this as pretty much an admission of guilt.

#54 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 07:50 PM

Seriously, social media should troll the hell out of these owners until someone slips up and says something stupid. Just keep costing themselves money. LOL

But for real, if I could make a wild guess...an owner or two said some -very- racist things about Kap while referencing his protest. Again, wild guess. And that still wouldn't be enough for him to win his case.

I think the NFL, in all their power, did want to make this go away, but is that worth more to them than being right? I don't know.

And either way, it isn't going away. Especially as long as Reid is in the league.

Yep, it's not just going to go away because of this. But at this point, there wasn't even much to make go away at the moment. This wasn't exactly dominating the news cycle. It only does that when it's settled or when the case is heard/decided.

#55 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 08:36 PM

That $70M figure is just speculation right? Because confidentiality agreements were signed. So if Kap’s camp releases details, does he pay that back or something? Not sure how all the legal stuff works.
@BSLMikeRandall

#56 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 February 2019 - 09:24 PM

And this doesn't make the story go away. It just moves up the timing of when it's a big story, and makes them look guilty in the process.

It makes the nfl part of it go away, which is great.

#57 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 09:35 PM

It makes the nfl part of it go away, which is great.

It was barely anything anyway recently until this settlement.

And it's not going to go away. We'll still hear about it when situations occur like when my team signed Mark Sanchez and then Josh Johnson. But otherwise, it wasn't going to be a big story post settlement/ ruling anyway. All this did was change the timing of when it was going to be a big story and make them look more guilty.

#58 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 15 February 2019 - 09:56 PM

If whatever was coming up in discovery risked them more than $2 million apiece, they would be perfectly OK with it.

@DJ_McCann

#59 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 10:14 PM

The NFL deals in billions.  The controversy has pretty much fizzled out at this point.  They could have won, and yet lost in the court of public opinion.  This makes the whole situation disappear.  Sure it's a couple of million out of the owners pockets.  Pretty much what a couple of 20's out of my wallet means to them.  They figured settling quietly with a confidentiality clause at this point was better than winning and having the fires flamed again.  These leagues don't last like they do without considering what publicity would do to them.  The NFL is very image conscious.  They probably figured paying off quietly would be better than winning at the cost of alienating those fans that agreed with Kap.  It also probably ends any chance that Kap ever sees the field as an NFL QB again.  But the settlement takes care of him for life so what does he care.  

#60 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 10:48 PM

I think some of you're are greatly underestimating the pettiness and vindictiveness of many of these owners. I just don't see them caving and paying him tens of millions of dollars for at best a slight benefit to them.

Moreover, it doesn't seem like this was there plan from the get go. So what's more likely... that they suddenly came to an epiphany (that doesn't even make sense) that this was better for them financially even if they were likely going to win in the end, or that they realized that they'd likely either lose and/or have some really bad stuff come out if they went forward?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=