Photo

College Football 2019: General Talk (LSU Wins Title)

• Please log in to reply
861 replies to this topic

#821 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 January 2020 - 09:49 AM

Agreed. It was dumb having the playoff games before New Years, and having irrelevant bowl games on or after New Years.
Also, I feel like playoff expansion shouldn’t happen. Even though in the past I lobbied for it. There really are two, three teams tops that are worthy of the title every year.

The reality is, the only way expansion is worth it is to have more relevant games.

#822 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 January 2020 - 10:14 AM

I never put much stock or cared much for the bowl games other than the Natty anyway. Only when it was a good matchup. Like Oregon/Wisconsin or even Auburn/Minnesota. I enjoy the sport, so that still does something for me. But if I'm a Minnesota fan, I'm never pumped over being the "Outback Champs" or whatever random bowl "champions" anyway. None of that has been altered by there being a playoffs.

#823 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 10:25 AM

I've watched at-least part of about 15 bowls, and enjoyed most of them.
Biggest issue with bowls is getting both teams to care. If you do, those games are fun. 

The bowl season gets stretched out due to tv... but I think it would be better if most of the games were on the same 3-4 day window.

#824 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 January 2020 - 06:57 PM

Orgeron is one of the most likable people in sports.

https://www.espn.com...oach-ed-orgeron

#825 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 09:28 AM

SI: LSU vs Clemson: SI experts pick national championship ..

ESPN: LSU Tigers-Clemson Tigers national championship game preview
https://www.espn.com...ip-game-preview

#826 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 January 2020 - 11:35 AM

In a game where few stops are made, Clemson gets stopped less and wins a shootout.

#827 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 09 January 2020 - 12:21 PM

LSU 48-27

@beginthebegin71

#828 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 10:26 AM

CBS Sports: LSU vs. Clemson odds, line, spread: Predictions, picks, props for national championship 2020
https://www.cbssport...mpionship-2020/

#829 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 10 January 2020 - 11:06 AM

Agreed. It was dumb having the playoff games before New Years, and having irrelevant bowl games on or after New Years.

It ended up that way because contractually the Rose and Sugar Bowls have to be played on Jan 1st, or Jan 2nd when the 1st falls on a Sunday (so they don't go up against the NFL). That means they have to find another day to play for years like this when bowls that are not the aforementioned two host the semis. They did it on New Years Eve a couple years back, and the ratings were horrible, so now they want to avoid that day too. It gets a bit tough when you try and please everyone....usually you end up leaving no one happy.

What I thought was odd is the long wait between the semis and title game this year. I'm as big a college football fan as you'll find, but I didn't know the exact date of the championship game and would have sworn it was this past Monday night, until I found out otherwise just a couple days prior. I guess now we need that extra week for the hype machine, a-la the Super Bowl.

#830 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 11:10 AM

Orgeron is one of the most likable people in sports.

https://www.espn.com...oach-ed-orgeron

I was reading an article about The Rock's football days at The U and CFL a while back. One of his former Miami teammates (it might have been Sapp) swore that he was mimicking Orgeron when he did his "Can you smmmeeellllllll...." schtick.

#831 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 January 2020 - 01:07 PM

I was reading an article about The Rock's football days at The U and CFL a while back. One of his former Miami teammates (it might have been Sapp) swore that he was mimicking Orgeron when he did his "Can you smmmeeellllllll...." schtick.

I heard an interview that Sapp and Ray did.  Ray, said the Rock sacked Charlie Ward.  Sapp, said, yeah, that is all he did. :-P

@mikeghg

#832 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 01:23 PM

It ended up that way because contractually the Rose and Sugar Bowls have to be played on Jan 1st, or Jan 2nd when the 1st falls on a Sunday (so they don't go up against the NFL). That means they have to find another day to play for years like this when bowls that are not the aforementioned two host the semis. They did it on New Years Eve a couple years back, and the ratings were horrible, so now they want to avoid that day too. It gets a bit tough when you try and please everyone....usually you end up leaving no one happy.

What I thought was odd is the long wait between the semis and title game this year. I'm as big a college football fan as you'll find, but I didn't know the exact date of the championship game and would have sworn it was this past Monday night, until I found out otherwise just a couple days prior. I guess now we need that extra week for the hype machine, a-la the Super Bowl.

It's weird to me that the Peach Bowl is among the big ones all of a sudden.

Cotton was a big one back in the day I think, then it was added to the NY6 slate, but that wasn't a thing this year I guess.

New Years Day had four games. Sugar Bowl, Rose Bowl, Citrus Bowl, Alamo Bowl. Replace the Citrus and Alamo with Peach (I guess) and Fiesta, and on one day you get practically the top 8 teams in action, against one another. 

They played 5 meaningless bowl games after the semis. They couldn't fit those in between 12/20 and 12/31? 

It would just make more sense to have all the bowls early, the big four on New Years (or the 2nd). Noon, 3pm, Semis 1 at 6pm, Semis 2 at 9pm. Then no more games until the Title game. 

On the other hands, maybe it's over saturation, I watched the semis games only, and by that I mean I had it on while we had people over, or I might have missed it completely.

@BSLMikeRandall

#833 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 01:44 PM

It's weird to me that the Peach Bowl is among the big ones all of a sudden.

It's a pay-to-play sort of thing. The Peach (Chik-fil-a) Bowl had the money, via its sponsors, to get a seat at the big table. It's the same thing with the non-playoff bowls, and really always has been....the bigger payout you offer the participating conferences, the higher you are on the selection list of teams you get. And for some of the bigger and longer-tenured games, they have the ability to contractually lock in certain things they want in order to maintain traditions, like the Rose Bowl always being Jan 1, even when it's a mostly meaningless Big Ten/Pac 12 game.

Not sure what they will do if they expand to 8 teams, essentially adding a third round to the playoff tier. My preference would be to let the higher seeded teams host the 1st round games at their home field. It would do two things. First, it would reward the 1-4 seeds for being the better teams (at least in the eyes of the committee). Just as importantly, it would almost certainly avoid the possibility that you'd have the lousy optics of empty seats at the 1st round games....expecting fan bases to travel to as many as 3 neutral site games back-to-back-to-back could be a pretty big ask. Yeah, it could mean that you end up having a school like Ohio St hosting a playoff game in a snowstorm against some southern school whose players have never even seen snow before, let alone played football in it....but hey, that's football.

#834 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,257 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 11 January 2020 - 09:37 AM

LSU Tigers play in Death Valley

Clemson Tigers play in Death Valley

Superdome is gonna be rocking and it will be tilted toward LSU.

Thought about grabbing a couple of tickets....then I checked and the cheapest nose bleed seats in the endzone are $850 a piece.....tv sounds good.......lol

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#835 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 January 2020 - 09:59 AM

They will be a lot cheaper game day

#836 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 06:47 PM

CBS Sports: Clemson's defense will be LSU's biggest test

CBS Sports: LSU's defense is the pendulum on which the national championship game vs. Clemson will swing
https://www.cbssport...son-will-swing/

#837 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 07:06 PM

ESPN: College football championship -- LSU-Clemson analysis, prediction and more
https://www.espn.com...prediction-more

#838 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,257 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 13 January 2020 - 08:41 AM

They will be a lot cheaper game day

Yeah they have dropped a lot...all the way down to $746.   Now I am sure its a tv game.

#839 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 10:20 AM

The Ringer: Joe Burrow and the Promise of Transcendence

#840 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 10:26 AM

CBS Sports: LSU vs. Clemson predictions, picks, spread, odds, line for college football national championship 2020
https://www.cbssport...mpionship-2020/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=