121 replies to this topic

#101 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,827 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 07:18 PM

I think we can fairly infer the undertones of cheapness from this decision while also recognizing that Nunez is a terrible fielder with a slightly above average bat and there are probably guys at every spot where he might get innings that we want to see ahead of him. And he's got little use as a bench player since there aren't many PH opportunities in the AL (or NL if they keep using the DH).

Still, I think if they were going to cut Davis then Nunez has a path towards a role. And that's the really frustrating implication. Davis will be rostered all year long.
  • Pedro Cerrano likes this

#102 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,670 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 07:20 PM

Davis will be here through the duration.

#103 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 November 2020 - 07:26 PM

3B? I'd take Nunez over Ruiz.

Did you watch the Marlins series? They stuck him at 3B twice and he made an error in each game. Rio had fielding issues too but I absolutely would not put Renato at 3B. 

she/her

#104 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,157 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 07:28 PM

I would have liked to have seen Mancini healthy in the Spring first.

Also agree about the Davis comments above.

This decision in March wouldn't bother me...today, a little bit.

#105 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,731 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 20 November 2020 - 08:28 PM

I'm surprised he was non-tendered only because there's a number of teams that could really use him and he's under cheap control.

He'll land a ML deal somewhere.  My guesses would be COL, DC or MIL, but there are other places that fit too.

#106 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,731 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 20 November 2020 - 08:33 PM

Also, I had no expectations on him being part of the 2022 roster, so in that sense, it's nothing.  Just a little surprising they committed to the DFA route today.

Basically, this more likely puts DJ Stewart in the core lineup.

#107 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 November 2020 - 08:38 PM

Also, I had no expectations on him being part of the 2022 roster, so in that sense, it's nothing.  Just a little surprising they committed to the DFA route today.

Basically, this more likely puts DJ Stewart in the core lineup.

That's my takeaway too, might as well see how sustainable his ability to walk and hit for power is now 

she/her

#108 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,202 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 08:42 PM

3B? I'd take Nunez over Ruiz.

Not me.

Nunez can't play a major league third base.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#109 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 07:50 AM

Player A OPS+ last 3 years: 114. 101, 121.
Player B OPS+ last 3 years: 49, 60, 7. seven? 7.0? SEVEN!!!!!

Yeah, let’s cut player A.

His glove sucks. Fine.DH? Or pull him late in games for a defensive replacement. Or at least try to develop him at a potion in the spring and see how he progresses.

This kind of move this early in the off-season, after the team was just maybe kinda looking like they made some steps to get out of the basement, just made them trip and fall back down the stairs.

Furthermore. Covid isn’t going anywhere. Expanded player pool will probably still be a thing. Not like you had to squeeze him into your roster at risk or losing someone better.

This team infuriates me.
@BSLMikeRandall

#110 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,202 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 09:40 AM

I get it.

Nunez is a bit redundant with Mancini, Mountcastle, and er Davis on the roster.

Perhaps they can trade him for some cash or something. I don't have any issue DFAing him. He virtually has no glove, the team has other options, and he is arbitration eligible.

He has pop in his bat and that will likely get a a major league job somewhere. Particularly now that the NL utilizes a DH.

#111 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 21 November 2020 - 12:23 PM

Everyone acting like they're doing this to give meaningful at-bats to CD is confusing me, it's knowing that Mountcastle and Mancini can both play 1B and there's no point in having another guy who can play that position with no positional versatility elsewhere 

• dude likes this

she/her

#112 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,202 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 01:50 PM

Everyone acting like they're doing this to give meaningful at-bats to CD is confusing me, it's knowing that Mountcastle and Mancini can both play 1B and there's no point in having another guy who can play that position with no positional versatility elsewhere

Who thinks this move was done to give Davis meaningful ABs? Davis will be on the roster and play very little. Pretty much a wasted roster spot.

#113 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 01:57 PM

It’s not that. It’s that Davis sucks and Nunez doesn’t. It’s the principle of the whole thing.

What if Mancini isn’t ready? What if there is an injury? Rather have Nunez on the bench than Davis. Or if ownership wants Davis to live out his contract, Nunez as your 1st PH option off the bench and Davis take his spot at 1B defensively late in the game and hope his spot in the batting order doesn’t circle back around.
  • Mike B and russsnyder like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#114 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,202 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 02:01 PM

It’s not that. It’s that Davis sucks and Nunez doesn’t. It’s the principle of the whole thing.

What if Mancini isn’t ready? What if there is an injury? Rather have Nunez on the bench than Davis. Or if ownership wants Davis to live out his contract, Nunez as your 1st PH option off the bench and Davis take his spot at 1B defensively late in the game and hope his spot in the batting order doesn’t circle back around.

I can see the point.

Davis is not even a viable major league player at this point. Despite his defensive shortcomings, Nunez is.

This move galvanizes the fact that Davis will not be released while he is under contract.

It is frustrating.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#115 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,731 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 21 November 2020 - 05:08 PM

The Davis thing has already been explained multiple times.  What aren't you guys getting?

This has nothing to with quality of the roster or winning at any point.

#116 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,202 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 05:29 PM

The Davis thing has already been explained multiple times. What aren't you guys getting?

This has nothing to with quality of the roster or winning at any point.

You mean the times that you posted that Davis is salvageable as a hitter?

#117 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 November 2020 - 09:20 PM

Getting mad that Davis on the roster is a waste of energy.

To me the issue is how easy the Orioles jettison usable players.  How much longer do we have to stomach the we are rebuilding logic and it is okay to lose.

@mikeghg

#118 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 November 2020 - 09:25 PM

Good points, but to answer your question, Elias and company don’t care who plays first, if Trey can not go

@mikeghg

#119 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,731 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 22 November 2020 - 12:42 AM

You mean the times that you posted that Davis is salvageable as a hitter?

My opinion of Davis is irrelevant at this point.  

The Orioles were able to recoup about 10.7M on Davis 2020 salary because of the shortened season.

It is likely there will be some consequence to the 2021 season in terms of games played.  If they go with 120 game season starting in mid-May, under a similar negotiation, they can recoup another 4+M of his salary.

He is on the roster because they want to recoup whatever portion of his salary they can.  If they release him they eat it all.

It has nothing to do with rebuilding or first base or PGA liking him or performance or anything else other than they want to try save millions more, that's it.  He's the 26th man on the roster and they're looking for another cost break.

#120 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,202 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 06:26 AM

Getting mad that Davis on the roster is a waste of energy.

To me the issue is how easy the Orioles jettison usable players. How much longer do we have to stomach the we are rebuilding logic and it is okay to lose.

Maybe, but people are going to vent.

Davis' presence on the roster contributes to decisions like DFAing Nunez. He is a waste of a spot. I don't know of any other team that has a comparable situation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=