718 replies to this topic

#21 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,022 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 10:25 AM

I'd be much more inclined to extend Jimmy Smith than to cut him.  $9.5M in base salary next year is a bargain for a CB of his caliber.  

I'd probably lean towards just playing out next season rather than actually extending him, but I don't think cutting him is even a consideration.

#22 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 10:27 AM

They absolutely could go CB.

If they cut Jimmy and/or Carr, CB does become somewhat of a need, especially since they are likely both gone after next season.

If Diggs is the top guy on their board, we'll be going CB.

#23 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,022 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 10:33 AM

My priorities for round 1 (assuming Mosley and ZDS leave via free agency):

Pass rush (DE/OLB)

Interior O-line (G/C)

WR

S

CB

RB

MLB

Round 2 (I know we don't currently have a R2 pick but that could change) and beyond I just take best player available regardless of position unless it's a QB or TE.  Long shot that day 2 and beyond guys step in and help right away, so need becomes a poor reason to target somebody, and unless there is simply no room near the top of the depth chart for gamedays (which I believe is only the case at TE and QB) I wouldn't exclude any position.

• Hooded Viper likes this

#24 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 10:40 AM

A little early but it doesn’t look like many skill positions in some mocks I’ve seen out there.
@BSLMikeRandall

#25 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 January 2019 - 11:07 AM

A little early but it doesn’t look like many skill positions in some mocks I’ve seen out there.

The WR from NC St and Damien Harris are the only 2 I have consistently seen.

#26 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,339 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 03:58 PM

Sports Illustrated: 12/19 Mock... Had the Ravens at 23... 

https://www.si.com/n...ns-daniel-jones

23. Baltimore: A.J. Brown, WR, Ole Miss 
The first receiver off the board goes to Baltimore, who is looking for help for Lamar Jackson. The Ravens have been rotating in a series of veteran receivers, but haven’t had a true No. 1 in years. Brown can make tough catches in traffic and has the size and strength to develop into a physical, catch-and-run possession threat.

#27 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 04:02 PM

A pass-catching running back would be a nice addition, although I'm not aware of how many of those might be available this April. Someone with the ability to consistently catch passes out of the backfield has largely been lacking since Ray Rice.

• Steve55 likes this

#28 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 04:42 PM

I'd be much more inclined to extend Jimmy Smith than to cut him.  $9.5M in base salary next year is a bargain for a CB of his caliber.  

I'd probably lean towards just playing out next season rather than actually extending him, but I don't think cutting him is even a consideration.

Jimmy is too much of a risk to extend. Injury & possible suspension issues are always there.

#29 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,022 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 04:44 PM

Jimmy is too much of a risk to extend. Injury & possible suspension issues are always there.

Agree that I wouldn't extend him.  But he's far too good of a player at to reasonable of a salary to release.  The right decision is to let him play out 2019 on the final year of his deal and then see what happens after that regarding his performance, health, availability, and age.  But if we're choosing among the two wrong choices, I'd rather extend him than release him.  

#30 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 06:31 PM

Agree that I wouldn't extend him.  But he's far too good of a player at to reasonable of a salary to release.  The right decision is to let him play out 2019 on the final year of his deal and then see what happens after that regarding his performance, health, availability, and age.  But if we're choosing among the two wrong choices, I'd rather extend him than release him.  

He still has the size but has lost speed. He's getting beat more often. Rather keep Carr. Cheaper and no issues.

• GabeFerguson likes this

#31 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:26 AM

He still has the size but has lost speed. He's getting beat more often. Rather keep Carr. Cheaper and no issues.

Carr gets beat a lot too. Plus he's like 34. He'll only get slower. Keeping Carr over Smith would be a huge mistake.

#32 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:27 AM

A pass-catching running back would be a nice addition, although I'm not aware of how many of those might be available this April. Someone with the ability to consistently catch passes out of the backfield has largely been lacking since Ray Rice.

I keep harping on it, but I'm praying they make a push for Bell. He would instantly transform the offense. He'd be the best RB and best WR on our roster, by lightyears.

#33 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:30 AM

Yes, Smith and Carr occassionally get beat deep but it’s not often. The Ravens were one of the best teams this year in terms of limiting big plays down the field. So, obviously this wasn’t as big an issue as people want to make it out to be.

If you have good technique, that trumps speed.

#34 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:35 AM

By the way, I try and extend Jon Brown, though I doubt he would do that.  I also look to resign Willie Snead who seems to have developed a good rapport with Lamar.  And then I would absolutely draft AJ Brown.

#35 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,022 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:39 AM

By the way, I try and extend Jon Brown, though I doubt he would do that.  I also look to resign Willie Snead who seems to have developed a good rapport with Lamar.  And then I would absolutely draft AJ Brown.

Snead is not a free agent.  Due $3M salary and $1M roster bonus for next year.

#36 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

By the way, I try and extend Jon Brown, though I doubt he would do that. I also look to resign Willie Snead who seems to have developed a good rapport with Lamar. And then I would absolutely draft AJ Brown.

Snead is already signed.

#37 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Carr gets beat a lot too. Plus he's like 34. He'll only get slower. Keeping Carr over Smith would be a huge mistake.

They need to give more playing time to the younger players. Carr would cost less and there are no injury or outside issues. Averette should be given a shot.

#38 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:40 AM

Snead is already signed.

Oh my bad, I thought he was on a 1 year deal like Smoke.

#39 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:40 AM

Snead is not a free agent.  Due $3M salary and $1M roster bonus for next year.

Damn missed that somehow, I thought he was on a 1 year deal like JB.

#40 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:41 AM

Could gauge Brown's interest from other teams. If they keep the run 1st aspect on offense they might want a WR who blocks well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=