#41 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:45 AM

Brown has said he wants to come back. May or may not be true.

Can’t see spending a lot on a WR like him though. Don’t think Lamar meshes well with him right now.

OTOH, Lamar does have a big arm, so if he can get a lot better in the offseason, the deep throwing game could be an asset next year.

#42 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,020 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:45 AM

They need to give more playing time to the younger players. Carr would cost less and there are no injury or outside issues. Averette should be given a shot.

He's not all that much cheaper, $6M due in 2019 money compared to $9.5M for Jimmy.  I'd consider keeping both, especially if we dump both starting safeties.  I think the depth and experience at cornerback would be beneficial in that case.  There should be no consideration given to cutting Jimmy, that's just a terrible idea, IMO.

#43 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 11:31 AM

He's not all that much cheaper, $6M due in 2019 money compared to $9.5M for Jimmy. I'd consider keeping both, especially if we dump both starting safeties. I think the depth and experience at cornerback would be beneficial in that case. There should be no consideration given to cutting Jimmy, that's just a terrible idea, IMO.

I 100% agree with this. Why not keep both? Giving younger players a chance is why we got torched in the secondary for a few years. Give me Humphrey, Smith, Carr, Young and Averett again next year. Unfortunately Jefferson is hard to get rid of so I think were stuck with him. But I'd say cut Weddle, which sucks because I love his locker room presence and his knowledge. But he's done physically. I agree with Rob, drop Weddle and go get Earl Thomas. You get your knowledge and experience you lose with Weddle, and you get a guy that can still fly around and make big plays.

Resign ZDS and Mosley and give Suggs one more year with an incentive laden deal. I think the defense is in great shape for next year if we can do that.

I'd say definitely go get Paradis. Then draft the best interior lineman at 22 if you have a guy there that meets that value. If not, I'm 100% on board with drafting AJ Brown. I think he is a legit #1 WR prospect.

One opinion I have that's not popular around here is our RBs. If we do into next season with Edwards and Dixon, I think were hurting the potential this offense can have. We need to get a difference maker at RB. And we need to expand the offense. Go more traditional and let Jackson actually try being a QB. I understand that LA went prevent at the end of the game. But even so, Jackson looked comfortable out of the gun, and playing as a traditional QB out of shot gun he actually went through his progressions, and found the open man. And made some great throws at that. Ravens have to spend every minute they can working with Jackson and letting him be a QB, instead of a RB that occasionally throws.

#44 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 01:04 PM

A Smith extension and a Carr extension or pay cut could easily give you a decent chunk of cap back. The only reason I'd consider cutting Carr is he's got a 2020 number of $7 million (but it's only $1 mill dead if he stays). 

As for restructuring or not, the cap gets noticeably cleaner in 2020. With EVERYONE that's on the books now minus only Joe, we will have $125 mill based on Over The Cap's projections. That will rank 2nd amongst all teams today. Only to point out that kicking the can down the road with a restructure and team additions fit nicely into two years and beyond. 

#45 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 06:25 PM

He's not all that much cheaper, $6M due in 2019 money compared to $9.5M for Jimmy.  I'd consider keeping both, especially if we dump both starting safeties.  I think the depth and experience at cornerback would be beneficial in that case.  There should be no consideration given to cutting Jimmy, that's just a terrible idea, IMO.

Yeah 9.5 but his cap is 16.

#46 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 January 2019 - 06:29 PM

This has been explained a lot.

6.5 of this is spent either way.

So, 9.5M is the real number. That’s why you cut him. To save that money.

He’s easily worth that and you aren’t likely to replace him for less.

#47 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 06:57 PM

This has been explained a lot.

6.5 of this is spent either way.

So, 9.5M is the real number. That’s why you cut him. To save that money.

He’s easily worth that and you aren’t likely to replace him for less.

Unless he gets suspended again. Then you replace him anyway.

#48 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,020 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 07:01 PM

Again, the that is irrelevant. Just under $6.5M of his cap hit is a sunk cost.

#49 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 07:06 PM

At age 34, I'm inclined to cut bait with Carr. Go younger, cheaper.

#50 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 January 2019 - 07:13 PM

Unless he gets suspended again. Then you replace him anyway.

Sure that’s the risk. That’s why I wouldn’t extend him just to save some money for next year.

#51 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 09:15 PM

I'm still not a fan of keeping Smith at his current cap number, but if the Ravens want to keep him around for another season, then just do it at the current figure and look at it as a one-year deal. Under no circumstance would I extend him and be on the hook for more guaranteed money. You don't do that with corners entering their age 31 season.

#52 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,020 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 09:37 PM

Under no circumstance would I extend him and be on the hook for more guaranteed money. You don't do that with corners entering their age 31 season.

They signed Carr entering his Age 31 season.

Since we've got plenty of cap space I wouldn't feel the need to extend Jimmy to lower his 2019 number. The right choice is playing out the last year of his deal, IMO.

#53 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 09:50 PM

They signed Carr entering his Age 31 season.

Since we've got plenty of cap space I wouldn't feel the need to extend Jimmy to lower his 2019 number. The right choice is playing out the last year of his deal, IMO.

Difference is, Carr's contract with the Ravens was essentially a one-year deal with a series of team options thereafter.

#54 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 January 2019 - 11:27 PM

https://www.al.com//...ng-for-nfl.html

He may not be first round worthy but this is a guy I would love to see the Ravens draft.

#55 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 January 2019 - 03:20 PM

https://www.cbssport...n-in-nfl-draft/

#56 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:22 PM

https://www.cbssport...n-in-nfl-draft/

Talk about a cautionary tale for leaving school and getting the money while you can. Dude was a Heisman candidate who seemed poised to be an early round pick if he came out last season. Now he's got an injury to recover from and might be a late round pick at best. Maybe a late round steal for the Ravens.

At least he stayed to get a degree that could be very useful to him, and not just as a way to better his draft stock.

#57 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,020 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:31 PM

I wonder if we'll ever find out how much his insurance policy pays out.

#58 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:37 PM

He will still be drafted...could end up being a steal.

#59 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:23 PM

He will still be drafted...could end up being a steal.

I agree 100%. Basically a redshirt rookie season. But a year and basically 2 offseasons in an NFL program might be exactly what he needs. He has the physical tools. But bulking up might ultimately be great for his future. I see him going in the 5th to 6th range now. Hes going to be a huge steal for someone.

#60 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:25 PM

Talk about a cautionary tale for leaving school and getting the money while you can. Dude was a Heisman candidate who seemed poised to be an early round pick if he came out last season. Now he's got an injury to recover from and might be a late round pick at best. Maybe a late round steal for the Ravens.

At least he stayed to get a degree that could be very useful to him, and not just as a way to better his draft stock.

To be fair, he went back and got a bio-chem degree from an ivy league college, on full scholarship. Even without the NFL, he knew his financial future was pretty much set in stone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=