NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,458 posts

Posted 17 August 2021 - 07:59 PM

He’s Sherman Obando 2021 version.
  • Mike B and B00E00N00 like this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#62 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 18 August 2021 - 09:16 AM

He’s Sherman Obando 2021 version.

If you mean DJ, then yes a good comparison.

• B00E00N00 likes this
@mikeghg

#63 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,303 posts

Posted 23 August 2021 - 01:28 PM

Having a really good year in AAA. Limited time obviously because hes split time between there and Baltimore. 10 HRs in 103 PAs is very surprising. Do wish they'd give him a longer look in Sept. Even at the expense of some of Hays and Santander ABs.

#64 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 August 2021 - 01:44 PM

Having a really good year in AAA. Limited time obviously because hes split time between there and Baltimore. 10 HRs in 103 PAs is very surprising. Do wish they'd give him a longer look in Sept. Even at the expense of some of Hays and Santander ABs.

i would like to see an outfield of Mullins, Hays and Santander.  That would be excellent defensively.

@mikeghg

#65 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,303 posts

Posted 27 August 2021 - 08:32 PM

Hit his 11th AAA HR tonight. Kind of insane considering his rep and the limited number of ABs he's had down there. Really wish they'd just give him all the ABs in Baltimore that they plan to give to Stewart.
  • BobPhelan and Mike B like this

#66 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,303 posts

Posted 27 August 2021 - 08:43 PM

Stoner asked recently who could greatly exceed your expectations. If he were to become a solid regular that would qualify for most. Thats not out of the question if the bat is solid. We know the defense is good.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#67 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,303 posts

Posted 27 August 2021 - 08:52 PM

One or two last things here. McKenna is younger than you probably think. 7th year in the organization but only 24. 25 in Feb. Hes just a guy people have completely forgotten about because there is so many other names to track in the organization. I mean I get that hes likely a 4th OF or AAAA guy but 5 years ago if he was doing this we'd be talking about him more because there was so little to talk about.

• BobPhelan likes this

#68 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 August 2021 - 09:52 PM

Hit his 11th AAA HR tonight. Kind of insane considering his rep and the limited number of ABs he's had down there. Really wish they'd just give him all the ABs in Baltimore that they plan to give to Stewart.

Agreed,  DJ may do a little more damage with the bat, but McKenna is a very good outfielder and DJ is just bad.

@mikeghg

#69 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 30 August 2021 - 03:13 PM

He's back.

Welcome back Ryan McKenna.   

@mikeghg

#70 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,713 posts

Posted 14 May 2022 - 02:14 PM

Back in the bigs.

#71 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 14 May 2022 - 06:50 PM

Back in the bigs.

Ha. Called it.
@BSLMikeRandall

#72 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,713 posts

Posted 15 May 2022 - 08:33 AM

Balt Sun: As a fringe major leaguer, Ryan McKenna hopes he can find a steady role for the Orioles

#73 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,458 posts

Posted 15 May 2022 - 11:27 AM

We’re about to be very crowded with OFers so I don’t see how fits in in a month or so. 

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#74 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 16 May 2022 - 09:32 AM

If Hays is able to play tonight, I suspect, one of Mckenna, Bannon or Owings gets sent out.  I am not sure Ryan is going to have time to make a case.

@mikeghg

#75 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,058 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 16 May 2022 - 11:04 AM

McKenna just ins't a ML level player. The only reason he's on the roster at all is because the O's haven't been trying to win. He doesn't do anything well enough for even a bench spot.

#76 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,713 posts

Posted 16 May 2022 - 11:11 AM

McKenna just ins't a ML level player. The only reason he's on the roster at all is because the O's haven't been trying to win. He doesn't do anything well enough for even a bench spot.

We’re about to be very crowded with OFers so I don’t see how fits in in a month or so. 

I think he fits pretty well as a 4th OF.  Good defensive OF, can play all 3 positions, can run, and there is some reason to think he could give you something with the bat.   Very hard to hit when you are adjusting to ML pitching, and playing irregularly.  

If you look past '22... you figure that Mancini is gone.  Maybe Santander becomes the DH, with Stowers taking over RF. 

McKenna could continue to make sense as the 4th OF.  And if an injury opened up additional playing time, you might see the bat come around a bit.  

Certainly a replaceable guy, and yeah... he's going to have to take advantages of the opportunities he gets...but I don't think there is enough known to say he can't play at the ML level.

• makoman likes this

#77 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 16 May 2022 - 11:12 AM

Eh, he's very fast and a good defender. He certainly could carve out a 4th OF type of role in the majors if he can hit a little more. He's destroyed AAA pitching (albeit in a pretty small sample) and been unable to hit MLB pitching so far. His problem is the O's OF is actually relatively strong so he doesn't have a ton of opportunity here. Too bad he's not a SS.

• TwentyThirtyFive likes this

#78 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,422 posts

Posted 16 May 2022 - 11:23 AM

I think he fits pretty well as a 4th OF.  Good defensive OF, can play all 3 positions, can run, and there is some reason to think he could give you something with the bat.   Very hard to hit when you are adjusting to ML pitching, and playing irregularly.

I think he's also superfluous in a reserve role while both Hays and Mullins are on the team.  Hays isn't capable of being an everyday CF, but he's good enough to cover random off days or even a few weeks if Mullins hits the DL.  So the major benefit that McKenna would provide of being CF-capable is not needed, and I think we'd be better suited having a better stick from someone who's a corner-only OF.

#79 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,303 posts

Posted 16 May 2022 - 11:35 AM

I think McKenna's offensive potential is a bit underrated. He's not an all glove, speedy, no stick guy.

#80 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 16 May 2022 - 01:40 PM

I don't really agree.  I think he is a ML player but probably not a regular.  It is really tough to show anything at the plate, when you are getting 6 to 8 AB's a week at most.

@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=