#21 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:18 PM

Not incredibly optimistic on this one, but as I said on Twitter, Duquette and Buck have made all the right moves this year. They've pulled strings and gotten the most out of a lot of guys. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on this for now.

@AdamWolff

#22 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:19 PM

The "brilliant" Billy Beane apparently showed a lot of interest in Wolf.

#23 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:11 PM

But it only takes one or bad outing that could hurt us.

Why sign garbage, when every little thing counts right now?

Who knows? Maybe Steve Johnson just had his best two starts and throws a bunch of clunkers. Zach Britton was pretty bad and almost out of the rotation before his last two starts. Suppose he reverts back to bad? Wolf has been mostly bad this year. Suppose he has a strong September to bring his numbers back closer to his career numbers? I imagine this is what Buck and Duke must be thinking. On the surface, you'd stick with the hot hand, and maybe they will. Maybe Wolf is just insurance. He probably hasn't missed a start all year. Maybe he pitches out of the pen for a week or two and comes back strong. I'll wait and see. It doesn't look good on paper but neither does the rest of the team (besides the bullpen) and look where they are.

Nate McLouth stunk for two years, hit .240 in AAA and is now our #3 hitter and latest hero. Just saying.

#24 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:23 PM

It might not work. He might have a good outing. He might have a bad outing. Based on how DD's very cheap dice-rolling has worked out so far, who knows?

But acting like this is some great foolishness and potential disaster is a bit much. While it might go either way, I expect it will most likely prove to be a yawn.

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#25 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:24 PM

Who knows? Maybe Steve Johnson just had his best two starts and throws a bunch of clunkers. Zach Britton was pretty bad and almost out of the rotation before his last two starts. Suppose he reverts back to bad? Wolf has been mostly bad this year. Suppose he has a strong September to bring his numbers back closer to his career numbers? I imagine this is what Buck and Duke must be thinking. On the surface, you'd stick with the hot hand, and maybe they will. Maybe Wolf is just insurance. He probably hasn't missed a start all year. Maybe he pitches out of the pen for a week or two and comes back strong. I'll wait and see. It doesn't look good on paper but neither does the rest of the team (besides the bullpen) and look where they are.

Nate McLouth stunk for two years, hit .240 in AAA and is now our #3 hitter and latest hero. Just saying.

Yea I don't disagree. You are only asking him to be good for a few outings in Sept. he could look like Cy Young for 10 innings.

My larger point is, why not get the better pitcher who has a BETTER chance of helping you?

#26 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,818 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:30 PM

My larger point is, why not get the better pitcher who has a BETTER chance of helping you?

My point, as well. However, I suppose it's also true that adding Wolf doesn't necessarily preclude you from also adding Bedard in a few days as well.

#27 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:58 PM

I think the point we are missing is the Orioles are trying to turn over every stone to get better.

Maybe the Orioles think Wolf is better suited to the BP then EB. I am a Bedard fan, just after all the moves this year, I think DD and Buck may know what they want and why.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
@mikeghg

#28 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:59 PM

I think the point we are missing is the Orioles are trying to turn over every stone to get better.

Maybe the Orioles think Wolf is better suited to the BP then EB. I am a Bedard fan, just after all the moves this year, I think DD and Buck may know what they want and why.

Could be a personality thing as well.

#29 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:00 PM

That's kind of what I was thinking, although I have no evidence really to back this theory. The O's themselves should have pretty good information on that though.

#30 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:47 PM

FanGraphs: O's throw Spaghetti, End up with Randy Wolf
http://www.fangraphs...ith-randy-wolf/

#31 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:04 PM

I thought the same thing and I like Bedard. This team is clicking and seem to be a great group.

I am more than willing to trust them.

I always thought the Orioles were a disaster at roster management. This year they get a A+ from me.
@mikeghg

#32 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:31 PM

Britton optioned to AAA, Wolf will join the O's in NY.

#33 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:35 PM

Britton optioned to AAA, Wolf will join the O's in NY.

"Outstanding job over your last few games, Zach! Now get on the bus."
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#34 Thyrl

Thyrl
  • Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:01 PM

"Outstanding job over your last few games, Zach! Now get on the bus."

I doubt he actually gets on the bus. Because Norfolk's season ends on Monday the "10-day rule" doesn't apply. He'll be back on the Orioles in time for his next start.

I spoke to Wolf today...nice guy

http://bit.ly/O1lrhc
@Thyrl

#35 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:22 PM

As SG said in the game thread, Wolf gave you pretty much everything you could have hoped from him as the starter today.

#36 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:54 AM

As SG said in the game thread, Wolf gave you pretty much everything you could have hoped from him as the starter today.

You could definitely say that, I was happy to be down only 2-0 in the first inning. I was thinking it be way worse after that. All-in-all, very happy with how it worked out re:Wolf yesterday.
@levineps

#37 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:20 PM

Randy Wolf will have an MRI tomorrow morning on his left elbow. Possible injection to follow

#38 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,563 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:13 PM

Torn UCL, out for the year, possibly out for life.

https://twitter.com/...079435791523841

He's deciding whether to get TJ and make another go at it. I would assume the other option is to just retire.

He's going straight to the 60-day to make room for Hall.

#39 Thyrl

Thyrl
  • Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:41 PM

He's going straight to the 60-day to make room for Hall.

Also makes room for Bundy on the playoff roster
@Thyrl

#40 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,585 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:33 PM

Sucks for him. Sorry to say it really doesn't effect us one way or another.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=