Photo

NBA 2018-19 General Talk (Toronto Wins Championship!)

• Please log in to reply
900 replies to this topic

#61 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 June 2018 - 07:55 AM

Dwight wants a buy out from Brooklyn and wants to go help someone win.

Could he end up in Golden St? They need defense, rebounding and some bigs. He fits that mold for them.

#62 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,524 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 June 2018 - 08:12 AM

Isn't there a severe problem with the salary cap when you're allowed to carry that many highly paid guys? Isn't one of the points of a cap competitive balance?

#63 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 June 2018 - 09:47 AM

Isn't there a severe problem with the salary cap when you're allowed to carry that many highly paid guys? Isn't one of the points of a cap competitive balance?

Well, if you are willing to pay the luxury tax.....

Howard may not require much either, since he will get the buyout from Brooklyn.

Saw last night that the Warriors are looking at a payroll of over 300M for the 2019-2020 season if they sign Klay to the max contract he likely will get.  That's how much the luxury and repeater tax will hammer them.

But, they are printing money, are building a new arena and if they keep winning titles, who cares?

#64 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 June 2018 - 09:55 AM

Well, if you are willing to pay the luxury tax.....

Howard may not require much either, since he will get the buyout from Brooklyn.

Saw last night that the Warriors are looking at a payroll of over 300M for the 2019-2020 season if they sign Klay to the max contract he likely will get.  That's how much the luxury and repeater tax will hammer them.

But, they are printing money, are building a new arena and if they keep winning titles, who cares?

I thought the guy, who presented the story made a good point.  Would you pay 100 million for 3 championships in 4 years,   Every owner would.

@mikeghg

#65 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,524 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 June 2018 - 11:16 AM

Forgot about the luxury tax for the NBA. I think competitive balance is a huge problem and they may need to consider more of an NFL style cap. I'm sick of this.
  • Mike B likes this

#66 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 22 June 2018 - 11:27 AM

Dwight wants a buy out from Brooklyn and wants to go help someone win.

Could he end up in Golden St? They need defense, rebounding and some bigs. He fits that mold for them.

Dwight has been a cancer in every locker room he's been in. I'd be surprised if Golden State wants him on that reason alone.

#67 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 June 2018 - 11:28 AM

Dwight has been a cancer in every locker room he's been in. I'd be surprised if Golden State wants him on that reason alone.

People said stuff like that about McGee...Nick Young didn’t have the best rep.

#68 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 June 2018 - 11:32 AM

Forgot about the luxury tax for the NBA. I think competitive balance is a huge problem and they may need to consider more of an NFL style cap. I'm sick of this.

The NBA actually has a great system in place.

Everything about their system gives incentive for you to stay with your team but if guys are going to take a lot less money, what can you do about it?

It kind of takes me back to the Chris Paul to the Lakers thing. That was a joke that the trade didn’t go through.

Basketball is a sport where only 3-5 teams have a chance every year. When has it ever really been different?

#69 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 June 2018 - 12:17 PM

Could not agree more.

The superstars, pick their teams and in a few cases the coaches.  To me, it diminishes the championships.

@mikeghg

#70 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,524 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 June 2018 - 01:23 PM

The NBA actually has a great system in place.

Everything about their system gives incentive for you to stay with your team but if guys are going to take a lot less money, what can you do about it?

It kind of takes me back to the Chris Paul to the Lakers thing. That was a joke that the trade didn’t go through.

Basketball is a sport where only 3-5 teams have a chance every year. When has it ever really been different?

I really don't care what it was designed to do so much as what it's actually doing.

#71 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 22 June 2018 - 01:26 PM

The biggest problem was that the union prevented the smoothing of the cap when the TV money spiked. That's what allowed the very unusual situation of the Warriors being able to sign Durant. The system is actually really good at preventing that type of move normally, but that year was the exception and the timing was absolutely perfect for the Warriors and Durant to make it happen. If he's a free agent any other year, it doesn't happen. If they win the title that year, it doesn't happen.

But since the stars did align just right, we're in this situation where we have an all-time great team that only had one team last year that could challenge it.

#72 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,496 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 22 June 2018 - 01:33 PM

If he agreed to go there, he'd obviously do so knowing his role (not an offensive option at all). Plus he'd be making little enough, thanks to the Brooklyn buyout, that if he becomes an issue GS can cut him loose the second he becomes an issue.

#73 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 June 2018 - 01:34 PM

I really don't care what it was designed to do so much as what it's actually doing.

But no system can prevent it if players are willing to take less money.

If sacrifices are willing to be made across the board, what do you expect the NBA to do?

#74 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,496 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 01:36 PM

The biggest problem was that the union prevented the smoothing of the cap when the TV money spiked.

That summer was a disaster that many teams will continue to be affected by for years. So many awful contracts handed out. But management shares some of the blame too for not being more prudent with all the cap space they had.

#75 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 22 June 2018 - 01:43 PM

That summer was a disaster that many teams will continue to be affected by for years. So many awful contracts handed out. But management shares some of the blame too for not being more prudent with all the cap space they had.

Sure I'm terms of a lot of those stupid deals that teams have out, but I was just talking about how Durant ended up in Golden State. That wasn't really due to a bad system.

#76 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 June 2018 - 01:48 PM

Teams are just so stupid.

#77 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,609 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 22 June 2018 - 01:58 PM

Teams are just so stupid.

Yup!

Ernie Grunfeld missed out on a ton of FAs that offseason and was like "eh, screw it, let's give Ian Mahinmi a ton of money"

• B00E00N00 likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#78 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 June 2018 - 03:34 PM

This would really bother me if I cared a lot about the NBA. As it is, it’s really messed up and shouldn’t be allowed.

http://www.espn.com/...projected-picks

#79 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,288 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 03:37 PM

All the teams have to do is not leak who they are going with.

If you are Milwaukee's FO, someone should have to go.

#80 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,496 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 03:38 PM

This would really bother me if I cared a lot about the NBA. As it is, it’s really messed up and shouldn’t be allowed.

http://www.espn.com/...projected-picks

Sucks for Huerter that he lost out on a little more money. But I don't blame the media....I blame the teams. Don't let your actual plans leak if you don't want it getting out and some other team using it against you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=