• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,249 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 01:06 PM

For most schools yeah, absolutely. But MD seems to be content with slacking in football, and the basketball recruits just haven't been there recently.

MD slacks in the big two, but is very successful in the smaller sports outside of those. Women's Basketball, Mens Soccer, Women and Men's Lax are all in great position for a new hire. Mens baseball has been steadily improving recently as well, not SEC good, but good for the BIG 10. Can't think about this job in terms of JUST the big 2 sports though.

I know about the other successes, but they really do only matter so much. 

MD is currently 65th in the Learfield's Director Cup rankings (I believe typically they finish 25-30... ).  There are four Big Ten schools ahead of them.

So that cuts both ways.  A new AD could want the challenge of moving them up that list though.

MD doesn't seem content with slacking in football imo... that's why you have the new Cole Field House and the investment there.

Also, don't agree that the basketball recruits havent been there.  They've got the 7th ranked class overall right now.

#22 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,379 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 19 April 2018 - 01:08 PM

Maryland's basketball recruiting has been excellent recently.  Last two classes were very good and this incoming class is perhaps even better.

The problem with Maryland basketball is the head coach.  We've had the horses, IMO. 

Has it? I don't follow too closely. I thought they were ok recruits just not panning out or not enough at the same time.

@JeremyMStrain

#23 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,379 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 19 April 2018 - 01:16 PM

I know about the other successes, but they really do only matter so much. 

MD is currently 65th in the Learfield's Director Cup rankings (I believe typically they finish 25-30... ).  There are four Big Ten schools ahead of them.

So that cuts both ways.  A new AD could want the challenge of moving them up that list though.

MD doesn't seem content with slacking in football imo... that's why you have the new Cole Field House and the investment there.

Also, don't agree that the basketball recruits havent been there.  They've got the 7th ranked class overall right now.

With all the other final four and playoff appearances in the other sports, it's gotta matter since that's all they have. Most schools basically punt all the others in favor of the big 2. It's seemed since Loh took over that the strategy was the opposite, and to focus on the smaller ones they could win and build.

I get what you're saying about the investment, but how much of that was the school and how much of it was a donation by certain large donor alumni with the mandate that's what it's used for? (Hint, I know the answer already) I don't see them investing in football where it counts. I don't care how much cool stuff you have. Recruits are the only place it matters, and not only do we lose major local recruits (and really the conversation could end there because you HAVE to win that battle) but it's not like they are bringing in top recruits from other places in the country. If they really cared they would be paying those coaches and assistant coaches that can bring those recruits in.

Like I said to Mack, I don't follow basketball recruiting more than a glance. I really thought it was just underperforming decent recruits, but like I mentioned, if they would lock up the local guys they wouldn't have this issue. No one from Dematha should go to another school without MD having the first crack, and that doesn't happen. Just for one example. I've heard their current class is good, but they gotta do that every year if you want to talk a contending school. The better the prospects, the less they stay, so you have to have that top class in and out.

@JeremyMStrain

#24 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,249 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 01:25 PM

MD Football had a Top 18 class in 2017.
MD Football had a Top 28 class in '18.

That's with no success on the football field.  They are recruiting.

Recruiting is an arms race.   Cole exists for one primary reason.  Football recruiting.

The other sports matter...   but only so much.  Again, they are 65th overall currently in the college standings.

If you want to say they should be investing that much more into the coaching staff....  agreed there.

#25 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,882 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 01:32 PM

Has it? I don't follow too closely. I thought they were ok recruits just not panning out or not enough at the same time.

Yeah, the recruiting has been fine.  They aren't landing multiple top-20 guys, but they aren't a program that can be expected to do so.

We're getting multiple top-100 guys most years, with the occasional top 25-50 guy, and even a top-10 guy in Diamond.  Plus, we've had success in the transfer game.  Dez, Carter, and Sulaimon all were transfer additions and instant starters.

There is always room to improve, but the recruiting is at a level I am very content with. 

#26 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,354 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 26 April 2018 - 02:29 PM

Don Markus reports that Maryland has hired Turnkey Talent Recruiters to lead the search for Anderson's replacement.

@BSLZackKiesel

#27 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,477 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 26 April 2018 - 10:16 PM

MD slacks in the big two, but is very successful in the smaller sports outside of those. 

Perhaps a better AD (and I honestly can't recall the last time MD actually had what I'd consider a great AD) would understand that when you are successful in the big two sports relative to reasonable expectations, people will open their wallets and the money will be there for all the other sports too.

#28 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,354 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 09 May 2018 - 09:27 AM

Baltimore Sun: Frustrated with the AD search process, Maryland boosters raise concerns with Loh, Board of Regents

Two longtime boosters are unhappy about how Maryland handled Anderson’s departure and with the tenor of the search. One of them, Barry DesRoches, said his views are representative of a small but loyal group that has donated “eight figures” to support athletics in recent years.

After getting input from more than a dozen boosters, DesRoches sent a 14-page letter Tuesday to the school’s regents, as well as Loh and Robert Caret, chancellor of the University System of Maryland. In it, he expressed his concerns that the search will end with acting athletic director Damon Evans being hired on a permanent basis.

DesRoches’ frustrations stem from the fact that the eight-person committee appears to be hand-picked by Loh for the express purpose of promoting Evans, who took over many of Anderson’s day-to-day duties when the former athletic director began a six-month sabbatical in October.

“I did not see the process as it was evolving as being set up to get us a really highly qualified candidate,” DesRoches said in a telephone interview Monday. “In fact, it looks a little stacked toward the guy who’s in there in the acting capacity.”

@BSLZackKiesel

#29 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,510 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 May 2018 - 09:38 AM

Loh should stick to being a strong school President and stay out of athletics. Seems in over his head there. And I would be fine moving on there too, there are plenty of quality schools around and MD always will be too. But they need to EXPECT much better athletically. Loh doesn't seem to care.

#30 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,477 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 12:52 PM

InsideMDSports: Maryland Fans' Dream AD Hire Receives Raise, Contract Extension

For those not interested in reading, it's referring to Oklahoma AD, and UM alum, Joe Castiglione. He'll now be making about 3x what Kevin Anderson was making, so he was likely never within reach. The real reason I posted this was this quote in the article:

“The Joe Castigliones of the world are not coming to Maryland. Maryland is a tough situation. It’s going to be a challenge.”

That quote was from Tom McMillen, a former UM student-athlete, alum, and now a member of the Board of Regents. Of course, anyone who follows UM sports knows he's right, but to hear someone in his position come right out and publicly say it is still kind of striking.

What gets me is that it doesn't have to be that way, at all. UM won't ever be among the cream of the crop AD jobs, but there is no reason why it has to be viewed as an unenviable challenge either that no established AD would want. Being the flagship school in a populous and relatively wealthy state, and now in the Big Ten with all its riches, there isn't any excuse. And the school doesn't need to sell it's soul for it to happen either. They just need the main decision makers to be on board with wanting to be a school that values a high athletic profile, and understands the benefits it can have on the rest of the university.

And I've said this before, but ever since the Len Bias thing athletics at UM have not been the same. 32 years later, that cloud still hangs over the campus.

#31 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,510 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 May 2018 - 02:47 PM

InsideMDSports: Maryland Fans' Dream AD Hire Receives Raise, Contract Extension

For those not interested in reading, it's referring to Oklahoma AD, and UM alum, Joe Castiglione. He'll now be making about 3x what Kevin Anderson was making, so he was likely never within reach. The real reason I posted this was this quote in the article:

That quote was from Tom McMillen, a former UM student-athlete, alum, and now a member of the Board of Regents. Of course, anyone who follows UM sports knows he's right, but to hear someone in his position come right out and publicly say it is still kind of striking.

What gets me is that it doesn't have to be that way, at all. UM won't ever be among the cream of the crop AD jobs, but there is no reason why it has to be viewed as an unenviable challenge either that no established AD would want. Being the flagship school in a populous and relatively wealthy state, and now in the Big Ten with all its riches, there isn't any excuse. And the school doesn't need to sell it's soul for it to happen either. They just need the main decision makers to be on board with wanting to be a school that values a high athletic profile, and understands the benefits it can have on the rest of the university.

And I've said this before, but ever since the Len Bias thing athletics at UM have not been the same. 32 years later, that cloud still hangs over the campus.

I'd like to hear why? Not just assumptions, but real reasons. To me, it seems like the school doesn't prioritize athletics to the point needed to be prominent nationally on a consistent basis.

#32 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 May 2018 - 03:04 PM

Doesn't make any sense that MD isn't a well thought after job by potential ADs,  I would like to know the reasoning as well.

#33 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 14 May 2018 - 05:38 PM

Yep. I don't have a single clue why an AD with options wouldn't want to choose Maryland.

In a completely unrelated story, is there any reason why they haven't fired Mark Turgeon yet?

@DJ_McCann

#34 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,601 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:17 PM

Yep. I don't have a single clue why an AD with options wouldn't want to choose Maryland.

In a completely unrelated story, is there any reason why they haven't fired Mark Turgeon yet?

He’s owed a ton of money.

I don’t buy the Bias thing. You really think an AD candidate is thinking “nah don’t want to go there. Bias died there 30+ years ago”

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#35 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,477 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:31 PM

He’s owed a ton of money.

I don’t buy the Bias thing. You really think an AD candidate is thinking “nah don’t want to go there. Bias died there 30+ years ago”

It's at the regent level. And many are people that have been part of the university for a long time. They pull the strings, and yes, I have been told they are still influenced the Bias incident. AD candidates don't want to deal with it for just the reason you cite....it was over 30 years ago and these people still can't let it go. It's also why it took so long for the university to finally repair the relationship with Lefty.

I did make one error earlier....Tom McMillen is no longer a member of the Board of Regents. His tenure ended 3 years ago.

#36 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,354 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 20 June 2018 - 06:53 AM

Don Markus reporting that they're down to 3 finalists:

• Patrick Kraft (Temple AD)
  • John Currie (Former Tennessee AD)
  • Damon Evans (Acting Maryland AD)

@BSLZackKiesel

#37 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,249 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 10:01 AM

Currie's search for a Football Coach was a bit of a mess.  Respect that was impacted by Fulmer.

But he was hired Feb. 28th 2017, and out of that job by December. Being on the verge of another big job right away is surprising imo.

Reading up on Kraft, he sounds promising.

Evans is the easy choice. If you like him, and he has the support of the existing coaches... that counts for something.

#38 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,354 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 21 June 2018 - 06:18 AM

The Washington Post: Maryland athletic director search is narrowed to three finalists

Maryland will interview three finalists this week for its athletic director opening — John Currie, Patrick Kraft and Damon Evans — a source confirmed to The Washington Post on Wednesday.

Kraft, the athletic director at Temple University, is believed to be the front-runner going into the interviews, according to one person with knowledge of the hiring process.

Multiple people with knowledge of the athletic director hiring process believe the [Jordan] McNair situation has lowered confidence in Evans’s ability to lead the athletic department.

Kraft became Temple’s athletic director in May 2015 after serving as its deputy athletic director. Annual donations have increased by 75 percent since his promotion, according to Kraft’s bio page on the Temple athletic website, and Anderson’s replacement will face a big fundraising challenge with the Cole Field House project. The price tag for Maryland’s new football practice facility was raised last summer by 25 percent to $196 million, leaving the school on the hook for $19 million, which must be paid by 2022.

@BSLZackKiesel

#39 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,510 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 June 2018 - 06:53 AM

From everything I've read, it's absolutely dead wrong to use the McNair situation against Evans in any way.

#40 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,477 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 11:12 PM

That's rough if you are going to hang McNair on Evans right now, without even seeing what the investigation reveals. But this is UM, and some people probably still blame Lefty for Len Bias.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=