#2 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,354 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 13 April 2018 - 05:24 PM

No big surprise here. President Loh said that Damon Evans would continue to act as AD until one is hired, but I'd really like to see him get the job. He's done some really great things for the athletic department while he's been here.

@BSLZackKiesel

#3 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,510 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 13 April 2018 - 06:01 PM

Good to hear RE: Evans. So long as he is his own person, rather than a "disciple" of KA, I'm open to him being the guy. Just execute well when it comes to hiring the next BBall coach.

Just out of curiosity, was he associated with the Athletic Department when Turgeon's contract was extended a few years ago? And if so, any way of knowing where he fell on that decision?

#4 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 07:04 PM

Completely clean house. Evans might be fine but hes got to go with Anderson.

#5 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,354 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 13 April 2018 - 08:10 PM

Good to hear RE: Evans. So long as he is his own person, rather than a "disciple" of KA, I'm open to him being the guy. Just execute well when it comes to hiring the next BBall coach.

Just out of curiosity, was he associated with the Athletic Department when Turgeon's contract was extended a few years ago? And if so, any way of knowing where he fell on that decision?

He's been with the Athletic Department since 2014, so yes he was around when Turgeon's contract was extended. He's currently the lead representative on all contractual agreements, and has been heavily involved in the Department's financials since he arrived. He was very involved in hiring Durkin, and is extremely involved in the football program as a whole.

He was the AD at Georgia and has held increasingly important roles here for the last 4 years, so I never got the feeling he wasn't his own man with his own opinions. That said, if President Loh wants an entirely new direction he's not the guy to do that.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#6 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,510 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 13 April 2018 - 08:32 PM

Thanks for the info.

That Turgeon extension is a disaster. I can't say I followed that situation closely enough to say if that's just revisionist history, or if there was a consensus at the time that it was a mistake.

#7 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,354 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 13 April 2018 - 09:01 PM

Thanks for the info.

That Turgeon extension is a disaster. I can't say I followed that situation closely enough to say if that's just revisionist history, or if there was a consensus at the time that it was a mistake.

Well, here's the thread: http://www.baltimore...xtension/page-2

@BSLZackKiesel

#8 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,477 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 13 April 2018 - 10:22 PM

It's official now.

• Mike in STL likes this

#9 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 10:53 PM

I'd hire the AD who's first order of business is firing Turgeon.

@BSLMikeRandall

#10 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,477 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 13 April 2018 - 10:57 PM

I'd hire the AD who can raise enough money to fire Turgeon.

Fixed.

#11 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 10:59 PM

Fixed.

They have money. They might tell you they don't, but they do. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#12 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,379 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 14 April 2018 - 05:16 PM

He's been with the Athletic Department since 2014, so yes he was around when Turgeon's contract was extended. He's currently the lead representative on all contractual agreements, and has been heavily involved in the Department's financials since he arrived. He was very involved in hiring Durkin, and is extremely involved in the football program as a whole.

He was the AD at Georgia and has held increasingly important roles here for the last 4 years, so I never got the feeling he wasn't his own man with his own opinions. That said, if President Loh wants an entirely new direction he's not the guy to do that.

He also fired Ralph, burned the bridge to the ground and hired Edsall. Anderson was a disaster from jump, I HAAAAATED that move.

@JeremyMStrain

#13 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,354 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 17 April 2018 - 11:16 AM

Baltimore Sun: Maryland athletic director Kevin Anderson resigns at end of six-month 'sabbatical'

Don Markus reporting that Damon Evans is expected to be the front-runner for the job, with Hofstra AD (and former UMD assistant AD) Jeff Hathaway also mentioned as a possibility.

@BSLZackKiesel

#14 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,354 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:30 AM

Testudo Times: Here's what we know about the early stages of Maryland's Athletic Director search

Names mentioned:

• Sarah Baumgartner (Rutgers Deputy AD)
  • John Currie (Former Tennessee AD)
  • Damon Evans (Maryland Executive AD)
  • Mark Harlan (USF AD)
  • Jeff Hathaway (Outgoing Hofstra AD)
  • Jeff Long (Former Arkansas AD)
  • Danny White (UCF AD)

@BSLZackKiesel

#15 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:40 AM

Testudo Times: Here's what we know about the early stages of Maryland's Athletic Director search

Names mentioned:

• Mark Harlan (USF AD)
  • Danny White (UCF AD)

I read this as Dana White of the UFC and was like "WTF - why would he do that and why would Maryland want him?".

• BSLZackKiesel likes this

#16 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,882 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 12:41 PM

Names mentioned:

• Mark Harlan (USF AD)
  • Danny White (UCF AD)

Seems like a list of people chosen to make sure Evans ends up being the choice.  I wouldn't know any of the individuals names for this sort of a hire, but I would expect we were trying to hire away people from some bigger/better sports programs than Hofstra and Rutgers.

#17 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,249 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 12:48 PM

Most important moves the AD can make are the basketball and football hires.

Turgeon with 5 years left.
Durkin solidly in place.

Wonder how enticing the job will be, if the AD doesn't feel they can make their stamp with those hires. At-least in the near term.

#18 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,882 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 12:57 PM

Turgeon is getting close to being replaceable financially and if the football team ever has a really good year Durkin will immediately be gone.  So I don't think that candidates would stay away because of there being no opportunity for a big hire.

#19 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,379 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 19 April 2018 - 12:59 PM

Most important moves the AD can make are the basketball and football hires.

Turgeon with 5 years left.
Durkin solidly in place.

Wonder how enticing the job will be, if the AD doesn't feel they can make their stamp with those hires. At-least in the near term.

For most schools yeah, absolutely. But MD seems to be content with slacking in football, and the basketball recruits just haven't been there recently.

MD slacks in the big two, but is very successful in the smaller sports outside of those. Women's Basketball, Mens Soccer, Women and Men's Lax are all in great position for a new hire. Mens baseball has been steadily improving recently as well, not SEC good, but good for the BIG 10. Can't think about this job in terms of JUST the big 2 sports though.

@JeremyMStrain

#20 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,882 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 01:04 PM

For most schools yeah, absolutely. But MD seems to be content with slacking in football, and the basketball recruits just haven't been there recently.

Maryland's basketball recruiting has been excellent recently.  Last two classes were very good and this incoming class is perhaps even better.

The problem with Maryland basketball is the head coach.  We've had the horses, IMO. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=