#1281 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 May 2018 - 07:46 PM

We will see. A lot of people having been crying of late about drafting more for need than BPA. Those people got their wish. To be clear it's not like they reached for a player. They just passed on taking a player in a higher tier and picked up draft picks before taking one of the players that fit a need 9 spots later. It would be interesting to know what they would have done at 16 if the trade wasnt available. WOuld they have reached for Hurst or Moore or would they have taken James.

I’m not one of those crying. I always wants BPA especially when it’s a guy that some thought was a top 5 player in the draft.

I said it on draft day that I wish they had taken James. Even if you want to trade down, I would have taken Moore or even Austin Wynns.

Hurst was never on the board for me at any of the picks but that’s not because I don’t think he can be a good player. I just wanted more upside.

#1282 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 08:18 PM

. It would be interesting to know what they would have done at 16 if the trade wasnt available. WOuld they have reached for Hurst or Moore or would they have taken James. 

DeCosta said it would have been Derwin James.... 

https://www.baltimor...es-down-from-16

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#1283 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 10:42 AM

Question for the guys that watch way more film on tape than I do, where would Ridley and DJ Moore have ranked last year? 

Higher than Davis, Williams and Ross? 

I wonder where the Ravens grades ultimately came down comparing that bunch to this bunch. Curious to hear the thoughts of those that watched them in college and compare them apples to apples at the time. 

#1284 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,300 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 11:00 AM

Question for the guys that watch way more film on tape than I do, where would Ridley and DJ Moore have ranked last year?

I wonder where the Ravens grades ultimately came down comparing that bunch to this bunch. Curious to hear the thoughts of those that watched them in college and compare them apples to apples at the time.

I think Moore compares pretty close to Davis. Not as thick, but every bit as good after the catch.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#1285 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 11:18 AM

So was this year's draft just so much deeper than last year when the premium on those receivers seemed to skyrocket at the last minute? 

#1286 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 11:18 AM

I like Ridley the most out of the five. He makes everything look super easy. 

Probably Ridley, Davis, Moore, Williams, Ross.

@BSLMikeRandall

#1287 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 11:40 AM

Was said by numerous scouting punduts leading up to the draft that these WRs werent graded as high as any of those Top 10 picks. I think its safe to assume that was how teams felt considering the first one didnt go until 23.

#1288 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 11:53 AM

Yeah I'm really surprised to hear folks be this high on these guys. I wonder if it's a bit of being under on these guys and over on the others. 

Obviously, none of those 3 stayed healthy last year but any of them could have taken a chance in front of them.

I guess I only ask because there is so much enthusiasm behind the sentiment that "you made a mistake not taking Moore".

#1289 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 12:00 PM

There is some revisionist history because Williams and Davis both had tough years. They were both legit Top 10 prospects. People around here love Moore understandably. I do think he was the best receiving prospect in this draft and could end up being very good but I have no problem with the way it all played out

#1290 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 12:06 PM

I will say that in an attempt to read between the lines from DeCosta and Oz post draft interviews that Moore probably was graded every so slightly higher than Ridley or Hurst. They moved back from 22-25 because they were assured of getting one of those 3 or Jackson. So if there is some criticism it might be that second trade and not taking the guy they had at the top of their list

#1291 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 09 May 2018 - 12:14 PM

Higher than Ross but not Williams or Davis.

@gabefergy

#1292 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 12:21 PM

Ok let me turn it around and ask it another way, too. 

Where would Moore have gone last year? Where would Williams (we'll take the middle prospect of the three) gone this year?

Also, I'm not one to measure guys by the first year's in the NFL. That being said, the fact that none of the three could get on the field really does show the volatility of the position. The Ravens may downgrade their own grades on WR because of that very volatility. And I don't necessarily have a problem with that.  

#1293 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 09 May 2018 - 12:28 PM

Ok let me turn it around and ask it another way, too. 

Where would Moore have gone last year? Where would Williams (we'll take the middle prospect of the three) gone this year?

Also, I'm not one to measure guys by the first year's in the NFL. That being said, the fact that none of the three could get on the field really does show the volatility of the position. The Ravens may downgrade their own grades on WR because of that very volatility. And I don't necessarily have a problem with that.  

It's kind of hard to say because so many variables at play...this year lots of QBs went high and there were a few other really high rated players. I doubt any WR goes top 10 in this draft. 

I think Ridley or Moore could have gone top 10 last year....it was a much weaker draft overall.

@gabefergy

#1294 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 12:34 PM

Right, a lot of different variables. I think you just have to leave it at Williams and Davis were graded as a cut above any of the guys this year

#1295 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 12:38 PM

Come on guys! This is a message board. Where are the hot takes! 

#1296 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 May 2018 - 01:56 PM

Post draft salary restructure:

Source: the Ravens converted $5M of S Tony Jefferson’s $6M base salary into a signing bonus, creating $3.33M in cap space for 2018. Post-draft cap maneuvering.

#1297 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 09 May 2018 - 02:02 PM

eww

@gabefergy

#1298 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 02:09 PM

Whatever. They were unlikely to release him after this year anyway. Now youre essentially locked in through '19

#1299 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,149 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 02:13 PM

The new(ish) carryover rules make reworking deals similar to interest-free loans.  Only potential downside is if you spend all the money up front without thinking about how you'll pay it back when the payments come due.

#1300 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,564 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 May 2018 - 02:18 PM

Provided Flacco isn't a Raven in 2019 - When will we feel his cap relief? 2020 earliest right? And I know sometimes with a lot of dead money, they will split it over two seasons, so possibly 20201?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=