#1261 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 28 April 2018 - 09:26 PM

Late round picks you just hope 1 or 2 can turn into something. There's gonna be a roster crunch at a few spots but I feel better about the team this year than last.
@gabefergy

#1262 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 28 April 2018 - 09:29 PM

There isnt any one position that is obviously deficient on paper. OL may be a work in progress, but there is upside there as well. Pass-rush they need to hope Williams and/or Bowser develop. Urban helps too if healthy.
@gabefergy

#1263 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 28 April 2018 - 09:44 PM

I was really hoping for Bo Scarborough via UDFA, but you know...you can get a guy like him elsewhere. It's cool.

#1264 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 April 2018 - 10:21 PM

DeCosta said they had some RBs they liked and one in particular got picked right before they wanted to take him.

Could have been Bellage from ASU? Maybe Mark Walton from Miami?

#1265 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 28 April 2018 - 11:37 PM

DeCosta said they had some RBs they liked and one in particular got picked right before they wanted to take him.

Could have been Bellage from ASU? Maybe Mark Walton from Miami?

Ballage seems likely since he was picked 1 slot before they drafted Scott in the 4th. Or maybe it was Guice who went off the board near the end of the 2nd before they traded out of the first pick in the 3rd.

#1266 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 12:04 AM

Nice Lasley...kid has talent

Decent talent. Great athlete. Suspect hands. More importantly, bad person. But worth the risk at that point, I guess.

#1267 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 29 April 2018 - 12:08 AM

Decent talent. Great athlete. Suspect hands. More importantly, bad person. But worth the risk at that point, I guess.

Bad person? He got busted for underage drinking. I hardly think that makes him a bad person...immature perhaps.
@gabefergy

#1268 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 12:10 AM

Wish they could have snagged someone who could be penciled in to start at C, as I am not enamored of handing the job to Skura. But plug-and-play centers were very few in this draft, and the ones who were went off the board very early. Maybe Bozeman can challenge for the spot, but that is the position I feel least comfortable with right now.

#1269 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 12:28 AM

Bad person? He got busted for underage drinking. I hardly think that makes him a bad person...immature perhaps.

You need to use the plural form there. One mistake is no big deal. He had repeated issues. That shows selfishness. Maybe he'll grow up....maybe not. Like I said, it's a risk worth taking late in the 5th for that sort of talent.

#1270 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 04:34 AM

You need to use the plural form there. One mistake is no big deal. He had repeated issues. That shows selfishness. Maybe he'll grow up....maybe not. Like I said, it's a risk worth taking late in the 5th for that sort of talent.

It shows immaturity.  Lots of young men are repeat knuckleheads... the best cure for that is years.

Now, it may be more than that... but we don't know if it is.  Seems unfair to conclude that he's a bad person.

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#1271 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 April 2018 - 06:04 PM

Heard a crazy stat today. The entire starting 11 defense for the 2016 Alabama team has now been drafted.

#1272 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,526 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 06:24 PM

Yeah, I can see questioning the maturity... but haven't seen anything that indicates he's a bad guy. I'm excited about the talent.  Let's see how the hands looks.

#1273 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 05:30 PM

http://www.baltimore...b8-b5612e4e45ac

#1274 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 05:36 PM

DeCosta said studies show that when there’s a clump of similarly-graded players, the the greater value is taking a player later in that grouping while getting more picks.

I sure hope when he say studies show, he means internal team self-assessment post-draft and historically...

I assume they have some mechanism to evaluate all the trades they've made and have been offered and know which ones in general have ultimately led to what value. 

#1275 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 06:18 PM

So let it be known they passed on a higher ranked defensive player to pick up picks and an offensive skill player

#1276 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 03 May 2018 - 06:30 PM

“I also think that if you’re just looking at predicting success, first-round tight ends, historically, have done much better than first-round wideouts, which is a much more volatile position in the draft,” he said.

I am not sure historically speaking that first round TEs are better than first round WRs, in fact I think the exact opposite is true. 

http://www.baltimore...anshare:twitter

@gabefergy

#1277 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 03 May 2018 - 06:30 PM

I still feel good about the draft (outside of Hurst), but their process is bad here.

@gabefergy

#1278 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 06:41 PM

I just dont think Ridley is anything special. In the right system he'll be productive but hes a #2 who will do his best work out of the slot. Anyone expecting a Gronk or prime Jimmy Graham type of impact from Hurst is setting themselves up to be disappointed. Absolutely convinced he'll be productive and a valuable piece of the offense.

#1279 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 May 2018 - 06:17 AM

Yea I think that’s a bad strategy.

That strategy is how you end up with good players but not elite players. That’s how you have depth but depth isn’t what wins.

#1280 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 06:49 PM

Yea I think that’s a bad strategy.

That strategy is how you end up with good players but not elite players. That’s how you have depth but depth isn’t what wins.

We will see. A lot of people having been crying of late about drafting more for need than BPA. Those people got their wish. To be clear it's not like they reached for a player. They just passed on taking a player in a higher tier and picked up draft picks before taking one of the players that fit a need 9 spots later. It would be interesting to know what they would have done at 16 if the trade wasnt available. WOuld they have reached for Hurst or Moore or would they have taken James. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=