41 replies to this topic

#41 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:43 AM

This is the whole debate -- how much is it the coach?, how much is it the players? No matter how "good' the coach is I think they need some talent at their disposal for success.

Good players always make the coaches look better, fair or unfair.

No doubt. You def need good players. I think we all agree there. And yes, the question is just how much of an impact can and does a coach make. It's completely subjective, depending on who you ask.

Personally, I look at John vs Jim and I just have a hard time believing John wins as many games in SF as Jim as over the last year. Now, maybe that is just a thing where Jim is the perfect guy for SF, and more specifically Alex Smith. I mean I do think certain coaches fit better in certain organizations with certain players.

Again very subjective. It really depends on what angle you chose to view things. What you value in coaches,etc. I do not believe John has gotten the most out of team the last 4 years but overall he's certainly had a positive impact. Grading him I'd give him a B or B+.

#42 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:41 AM

No doubt. You def need good players. I think we all agree there. And yes, the question is just how much of an impact can and does a coach make. It's completely subjective, depending on who you ask.

Personally, I look at John vs Jim and I just have a hard time believing John wins as many games in SF as Jim as over the last year. Now, maybe that is just a thing where Jim is the perfect guy for SF, and more specifically Alex Smith. I mean I do think certain coaches fit better in certain organizations with certain players.

Again very subjective. It really depends on what angle you chose to view things. What you value in coaches,etc. I do not believe John has gotten the most out of team the last 4 years but overall he's certainly had a positive impact. Grading him I'd give him a B or B+.

I agree with a lot of this. I think with certain teams, they have systems already in place for success (New England offense comes to mind). I recall reading that DeCosta said the Ravens hadn't changed their defensive system much since Marvin Lewis was there.
@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=